Request: Status Information Window

awinter

There seem to be quite a lot of people who use DVBViewer not to watch TV live but mainly for recording (otherwise there wouldn´t be a no A/V mode in the Graph Selector plugin).

For reasons of stability and processor usage it seems that permanently using no A/V mode is a good option (see separate thread).

The only way to check what is happening in DVBViewer (and if it is still working) seems to be the record control window. This window is rather big (too big to have it permanently open on the desktop) and inmho the only useful thing (when you are not interested in manual recording) about it is to be able to check if DVBViewer is still working; though this can only be done by checking if the yellow line is still moving where a simple green/red would be quite nice.

I would propose the following changes (or rather a new window) to be better able to support no render operation:

The window should contain the following elements:

- Small green or red button indicating the correct operation of DVBViewer instead having a moving line (is this feasible? Maybe a separate service to check how DVBViewer is doing? I am no prgrammer so it´s easy to ask for that :bye: )

- Name of the current station

- Record indicator

- Name of the next sheduled recording, including title, station and time

- did I miss anything important?

The window could be designed rather as a tooltip for the DVBViewer icon in the system tray than a normal window. The green or red status indicator could be integrated in the DVBViewer icon in the system tray so there would be no need to check the tooltip to see if DVBViewer is running fine (if there is a red square in the lower corner of the DVBViewer icon then there is a problem, if there is a green square then everything is ok).

If possible the DVBViewer Main Window could be closed instead of minimized during "no render record standby operation".

The result would be that in no render mode DVBViewer would be run like a service, completely in the background with a nice status indicator.

What do you think?

sounds intresting. BTW if you minimize the DVBViewer the videorendering is automaticaly disabled. Thats new since 2.1

I think all this things could be possible as an moving text in the taskbar.

but I'm not a programmer and its easy to say ...

:bye:

No, that's a hidden setting. You have to insert the following line under [renderer]

Do you know why this is "just" a hidden setting? i hear it the first time and testet it a few minutes ago.... i like this feature.... And i think many other will like it too, but don`t know about it

Will it be implemented in the next DVBViewer Version?

Do you know why this is "just" a hidden setting?

We were not sure wether the new Disable AV method works flawlessly under all circumstances. If it did not, and got automatically performed when minimizing, this would have been quite troublesome for the concerned users :bye: So, maybe, in the next version, if it proves to work reliably... the INI option had been implemented mainly for the beta testers. Well, it could have been an 'official' setting in the options - but on the other side it isn't desirable to overload the DVBViewer with checkboxes.

but on the other side it isn't desirable to overload the DVBViewer with checkboxes

you are right... maybe christian can make a plugin for such "optional" things...

so everybody that want have such a feature can select it from the plugin.

and the DVBViewer isn`t overloaded with checkboxes.

Edited by danielkoch