Picture quality

BingoBonzo

I have just made a fresh install of my system (see specs below) and the picture quality is unfortunately not good.

The picture/transmission is jagged and with noisy (looks similar to a Charlie Chaplin movie) and the motion is not fluid. What I'm watching is DVB-C transmissions from Canal Digital in Norway. The picture looks a little bit better on HD, but still not fluid and like Mr. Chaplin.

My system setup is this:

Gigabyte 785 Motherboard

AMD Phenom X3 720 CPU

ATI 4200 onboard graphics card with lates driver from ATI

4GB RAM

SSD Drive

TerraTec Cinercy HD CI card

Approved Canal Digital CAM and Card

Windows 7 (64bit)

Using default settings for the DVBViewer

I'm connected to a Sony Full HD back-projection TV via HDMI.

At the moment, my old SD Canal Digital Decoder provides way better picture and is perfectly fluid.

Any tips to improve this are highly appreciated!

Best regards!

support.zip

Edited by BingoBonzo

Have you tested another mpeg code?

Luck

I have just made a fresh install of my system (see specs below) and the picture quality is unfortunately not good.

The picture/transmission is jagged and with noisy (looks similar to a Charlie Chaplin movie) and the motion is not fluid. What I'm watching is DVB-C transmissions from Canal Digital in Norway. The picture looks a little bit better on HD, but still not fluid and like Mr. Chaplin.

My system setup is this:

Gigabyte 785 Motherboard

AMD Phenom X3 720 CPU

ATI 4200 onboard graphics card with lates driver from ATI

4GB RAM

SSD Drive

TerraTec Cinercy HD CI card

Approved Canal Digital CAM and Card

Windows 7 (64bit)

Using default settings for the DVBViewer

I'm connected to a Sony Full HD back-projection TV via HDMI.

At the moment, my old SD Canal Digital Decoder provides way better picture and is perfectly fluid.

Any tips to improve this are highly appreciated!

Best regards!

There is a known problem with ATI graphic Cards on Windows 7

Try this ATI Drivers. They solved my problem.

It is not official drivers, but a pre 10.2 version

There is a known problem with ATI graphic Cards on Windows 7

Try this ATI Drivers. They solved my problem.

It is not official drivers, but a pre 10.2 version

Thanks for the tip, will try to test this today or tomorrow.

PS. Which Renderer is recommended?

I tried the unofficial ATI 8.70RC1 version and also the official ATI 8.69 version. There might be a slight improvement over the ATI 8.68 version, but not good enough yet.

There are still issues which makes the PC variant a lot lesser than the old and bad Canal Digital decoder. These issues are:

• The motion of the picture, still "mechanical" and not fluid
  • Dark and moving areas in the picture looks "dirty"
  • The format is not correct, whatever I try I cannot get it to display correctly (changing format in both DVBViewer and on the TV)

If I understand you correctly McenterFreak; your issue appears after a couple of hours with pixelation? Do you have the same problem as listet above?

I tried with the Frame Overlay Renderer and at the moment it seems to give me the best picture, but not good enough.

I really don't understand this...

Best regards!

I tried the unofficial ATI 8.70RC1 version and also the official ATI 8.69 version. There might be a slight improvement over the ATI 8.68 version, but not good enough yet.

There are still issues which makes the PC variant a lot lesser than the old and bad Canal Digital decoder. These issues are:

• The motion of the picture, still "mechanical" and not fluid
  • Dark and moving areas in the picture looks "dirty"
  • The format is not correct, whatever I try I cannot get it to display correctly (changing format in both DVBViewer and on the TV)

If I understand you correctly McenterFreak; your issue appears after a couple of hours with pixelation? Do you have the same problem as listet above?

I tried with the Frame Overlay Renderer and at the moment it seems to give me the best picture, but not good enough.

I really don't understand this...

Best regards!

My problem on my ATI motherboard is pixelation. When i tried today, pixelation startet from the beginning. I don't use the ATI motherboard as HTPC anymore. Changed to Zotac ION motherboard with nVidia graphics. This works without pixelation, but i have a lib sync problem

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying some more, but with no luck.

I suspect that there might be something faulty with the Integrated Graphics Chip on my board..

Do you know of any good testprogram (free download) that I can use to verify the performance against other similar motherboards?

I tried 3DMark Vantage (trial version limited to one run) and it reported:

"3DMark has detected that the results from this benchmark run do not represent the true performance of the graphics hardware. This message will appear if very low frame rates (<2FPS) were encountered during the graphics tests"

Further it reported:

"Warning W1209 - The video card does not have an interrupt assigned. All modern video cards need an interrupt. Even older PCI video cards work faster if an interrupt is used."

So this is why I think something is wrong, but I need more "proof" before I'm sure.

PS. I have logged a case at Gigabyte, but have not received a response back yet.