dvb subtitle problems

djsorin

I am using DVBViewer 4.2.1 and i can't view DVB subtitles (Type16). If i scan with transedit i see the subtitle stream but DVBViewer doesn't recognize them.

I have tried also the latest beta and still no result.

I am using Windows 7 with EVR (OSD is working well) and if try to use other dvb software the subtitles are displayed corectly.

What can i do?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

- <RCS_330000>

- <Transponder>

<Network String="RCS" />

<Frequency Value="330000" Unit="KHz" />

<Modulation String="64" Unit="QAM" />

<Symbolrate Value="6900" />

- <PAT PID="0">

<TransportStreamID Value="0" />

<NIT PID="8188" />

- <ServiceID Value="610">

- <PMT PID="719">

<PCR PID="3522" />

- <ES PID="3522" Name="MPEG2 Video">

<StreamType HValue="0x02" Name="MPEG2 Video (ITU-T Rec. H.262 | ISO/IEC 13818-2 or ISO/IEC 11172-2)" />

- <Descriptor HValue="0x11" Name="STD">

<LeakValidFlag Value="1" />

</Descriptor>

</ES>

- <ES PID="3642" Name="MPEG Audio">

<StreamType HValue="0x03" Name="MPEG Audio (ISO/IEC 11172)" />

- <Descriptor HValue="0x0A" Name="ISO 639 Language">

<Language String="rum" />

<AudioType Value="0" Name="Not defined" />

</Descriptor>

</ES>

- <ES PID="3712" Name="DVB Subtitles">

<StreamType HValue="0x06" Name="Private Data PES (ITU-T Rec. H.222.0 | ISO/IEC 13818-1)" />

- <Descriptor HValue="0x59" Name="Subtitling">

- <SubtitleType Value="16" Name="DVB subtitles (normal)">

<Language String="rum" />

<CompositionPageID Value="2" />

<AncillaryPageID Value="2" />

</SubtitleType>

</Descriptor>

</ES>

</PMT>

</ServiceID>

- <ServiceID Value="620">

- <PMT PID="44">

<PCR PID="163" />

- <ES PID="104" Name="MPEG Audio">

<StreamType HValue="0x03" Name="MPEG Audio (ISO/IEC 11172)" />

- <Descriptor HValue="0x0A" Name="ISO 639 Language">

<Language String="ger" />

<AudioType Value="1" Name="Clean Effects" />

</Descriptor>

- <Descriptor HValue="0x52" Name="Stream Identifier">

<ComponentTag Value="2" />

</Descriptor>

</ES>

- <ES PID="105" Name="Videotext">

<StreamType HValue="0x06" Name="Private Data PES (ITU-T Rec. H.222.0 | ISO/IEC 13818-1)" />

- <Descriptor HValue="0x56" Name="Teletext">

- <PageType Value="1" Name="Initial Page">

<Language String="ger" />

<Magazin Value="1" />

<Tens HValue="0x00" />

<Units HValue="0x00" />

<Number Value="100" />

</PageType>

</Descriptor>

- <Descriptor HValue="0x52" Name="Stream Identifier">

<ComponentTag Value="3" />

</Descriptor>

</ES>

support.zip

Edited by djsorin

The stream is not according to the specs. The transportstreamID is set to 0 which is not defined. Nothing we can do, you have to tell your broadcaster/dvb provider to compose their streams according to the DVB-specs.

..but the PMT is ok, isn't it? So why does video and audio play correctly but not the subs? Could it be the NIT? In the sample the NIT_PID is strange (0x1FFC).

VLC shows the subs correctly

btw. there is no epg info in the sample

the TID is use to identify and confirm the incoming SI tables. the PMT will not be processed, if there is no TID, so no dynamic detection of subtitles. EPG needs also the TID, so no EPG.

the TID is use to identify and confirm the incoming SI tables. the PMT will not be processed, if there is no TID, so no dynamic detection of subtitles. EPG needs also the TID, so no EPG.

..hmm, seems more like a design flaw to me. There is no need to consult any other tables than the PMT do determine the subtitles. For other information it's at least not necessary. E.g. : without SDT the corresponding elementary stream can be peferctly played, though the service name remains unknown. EPG is a different story but in the sample there is no EPG.

So there is no chance to resolve this issue in future betas?

No. Resolving your problem would create several problems for others. Tell them to conform to the DVB-Specs and everything is fine.

I still don't think that this is the right approach in the spirit of DVB/MPEG. SI is meant to identify a unique service out of many during a selection process. Here we only have to deal with a single given service, so no selection necessary. Therefor the PAT/PMT is sufficient to identify the relevant elementary streams and to select the corresponding decoders. Luckily VLC et al. follow a more user friendly approach. Strange enough, the recording was apparently made by the DVBViewer :)

The transportstreamID is set to 0 which is not defined.

I would like to know where transportstream ID = 0 is specified as "not defined". All I can find in ISO/IEC 13818-1 is

transport_stream_id – This is a 16-bit field which serves as a label to identify this Transport Stream from any other multiplex within a network. Its value is defined by the user.

So this recommendation

you have to tell your broadcaster/dvb provider to compose their streams according to the DVB-specs.

is pretty useless, isn't it? Should rather be

"tell your broadcaster/dvb provider to compose their streams according to the DVBViewer-specs." :angry:

I can see the problem - somehow DVBViewer has to handle channelist entries with missing transportstream ID. Nevertheless channels with a valid transportstream ID are excluded in this way.