Changed video card ( ATI Avivo ) , disaster

Omega3

Hi all , i tried to find something about my problems but it seems there are german language answer only , i don't understand german.

So , i'm a registered user of DVBViewer pro , my system is an htpc as follow :

- wxp pro sp3 , latest patches from win update

- DVBViewer pro last release

- asus p5k

- 2 gb ram

- intel e6550

- skystar2 hd

- pinnacle stick 330e ( dtt )

- SKY Italia regular subscription

other software :

- powerdvd 8

- divx h264 codecs

- nvidia pure video decoder

- ffdshow last release

Up to a few days ago , i had an Nvidia 8500 linked via DVI-D to a Sony 40 inches LCD TV with DVI-D -> HDMI cable.

In DVBViewer the directx options were :

nvidia decoder for mpeg2

powerdvd h264 for h264

nvidia audio decoder for ac3 contents

default render for all other audio contents

spdif out for all audio contents

Fix VMR for Nvidia enabled

All contents filtered by DVBViewer.

Render VMR9.

CPU Usage : no more than 40-50% with Cyberlink codecs H264.

This system worked enough fine , i had some little problems about ( sometimes ) loss of frames in h264 , colours no so good , other minor problems.

I have thought to change video card and i have bought an ATI Sapphire HD5670 VGA ( DVI , VGA , HDMI output ) , linked to TV via HDMI-HDMI cable.

I read that this card has Avivo technology , as described by ATI/AMD it has hardware acceleration for H264 video , so i bought it.

I installed the cards and the driver on his cd , the release is 8.1 ( on the ATI site there is the 10.1 driver version but i didn't able to install , i'm working to understand the correct procedure ).

Now i have the following problems :

- the ati drivers installed a MPEG2 and H264 directx codec , so i changed from Cyberlink to ATI Avivo codec to view H264 sat DVB : DVBViewer CRASHES AFTER A FEW SECONDS FROM START and i have to restart in safe mode to change video settings

- using Cyberlink codecs with hardware acceleration enabled , i can see H264 channels , but i can't use VMR9 , it loss a lot of frames ; if i use OVERLAY , it seems to work fine and the CPU usage is always under 5% , indicating that hw acceleration should work but via the Cyberlink codec .

So , i would understand :

- why i can't use Avivo codecs directly ?

- why i can't use VMR9 ( i have not check if vmr7 is working ) ?

thanks a lot.

P.S: I apologize for my bad english ....

CPU Usage : no more than 40-50% with Cyberlink codecs H264.

If you have a CPU load that high the DXVA is disabled for sure...5% sounds much better!

I installed the cards and the driver on his cd , the release is 8.1 ( on the ATI site there is the 10.1 driver version but i didn't able to install , i'm working to understand the correct procedure ).

Now i have the following problems :

DVBViewer CRASHES AFTER A FEW SECONDS FROM START and i have to restart in safe mode to change video settings

If changing hardware the best thing would be to reinstall windows from scratch. If changing motherboard you have no other choice, but in your case the videocard is after all quite a vital part of your system. Cant say exactly what has happened in your case, but if not removing the nvidia driver and install catalyst 8.1 over it your in for problems. If you are trying to install catalyst 10.1 before uninstalling catalyst 8.1 you will not succeed. You can of course try to remove everything driverwise on your system, but you will still have a lot of junk left behind in your winxp registry. Best thing would be to start over...you will save yourself time in the end doing that, cuz troubleshooting these kind of issues is very timeconsuming.

- using Cyberlink codecs with hardware acceleration enabled , i can see H264 channels , but i can't use VMR9 , it loss a lot of frames ; if i use OVERLAY , it seems to work fine and the CPU usage is always under 5% , indicating that hw acceleration should work but via the Cyberlink codec .

Probably a consequence of the above. Format and reinstall...

Edited by majstang

I have reinstalled the OS , patches , ecc.

Nothing is changed , if it's possible the situation is worst.

I can use the ATI Directx codec not yet , DVBViewer crashes.

I can confirm that VMR7 is working , but now i have a very big problem.

Viewing the HD TV channels is ok , but randomly there is a colour invertion for a few time ( the desktop and the applications become in negative colours ) , then the colours come back correctly.

With PDVD 8 , blue ray films are not fluid .

I think that i will put the new card in the wc ..... ATI ? No , thanks , i want to live ....

Edited by Omega3

It's a shame.

From one of the site you have indicated :

"The only, but on the long run inacceptable "workaround" is to disable the DXVA capabilities for the MMF decoders, which causes heavy CPU load on my system. I use DXVA-checker to do that."

Nvidia forever !!

Thanks a lot-

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know about the series 5 problems but if it's any consolation, the series 3 cards work magnificently with everything I've thrown at them (video-wise, I don't play games) and I have swapped the ATI cards with an Nvidia 9800GT with both drivers installed - no trouble at all.

@Omega3 - I have the same problem with the Nvidia 260. I could not fix the problem and went to another DVB program and have no problem. :radscorpion:

CPU i7 920

Asus P6T SE

4GB DD3

Nvidia 260

TBS6920 PCI-e

Everything works properly with Windows 7 x64 bit Ultimate. I have no problem with other programs for DVB-S and HD

Edited by spgi
  • 5 months later...

Well, DXVA enabled H264 decoding with ATI cards isn't working without flaws so far (using catalyst 10.7). At first it runs ok, but eventually it will enter a state where it fails to decode H264 properly. It hasn't crashed on my pc yet, but that doesn't really matter. I am using a ATI 5870. I only see the problem decoding DVB-T H264 broadcasts. DVBViewer or SplashLite, the DXVA decoding problem is identical. I am forced to us software only decoding of DVB-T H264.

Basically, for a HTPC system, AMD/ATI is out of the question. I don't think AMD is going to fix this. :-(

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I got the same card which replaced my Nvidia. Reason was HD audio streaming. Anyway, it works reasonably. I run Win7/32 thou and I would advise you to change the OS. The ATI codecs are crushing the new DVBViewer like a pig so I use third party codecs and it seems pretty steady. There is ATI 10.9 HotFix which fixed setting remembering issues. Remove your present drivers completly and run the HotFix, see how you go.

Cheers