External subtitles with mkv-files?

HebbeT

Hi guys!

I am trying to play a 720p mkv file. In the same folder i have a corresponding srt-file.

When I start to play the file nothing happens. I am only getting a black screen. If I hit play again I can get sound but no picture.

If I remove the srt-file, the video plays fine.

So the question is if it is possible to play video files with external subs in DVBViewer? Is there anyone who has succeeded in this?

I am running Widows 7. I have tested the file in Mediaportal with succes.

I have attached a picture from GraphStudio

/HebbeT

Yes thats correct. Sorry, but I have no clue on how to configure DirectVobSub.

Strange though, if I configure Haali not to autoload VSFilter, DirectVobSub disaperes from the graph. But the video won't play anyway.

On the other hand, if I rename or remove the srt-file, then the video will play.

I am running latest beta of DVBViewer and also with latest DVB Source. And also latest Haali and DirectVobSub.

In theori should this be working?

/HebbeT

but I have no clue on how to configure DirectVobSub.

There are quite a lot of options on its property page (see View -> Filters in DVBViewer).

Have you already tried a different decoder? What's in that MKV? H.264 Video?

You may want to try ffdshow. It is able to decode H.264 and to process subtitles (has to be configured accordingly on its property page -> subtiles).

Well, I have tried with Microsofts's codec and also ffdshow. With no succes.

Yes, the film is a H.264 Video and it actually has an embedded subtitle. As long as I don't have the srt-file in the folder, there is no problem to play the file with or without the embedded subtitle, with any of the codecs I have tested.

Before I spend to much time on this, I just want to no if someone has been able to play a H.264 movie with external srt-sub. And in that case what codecs etc do the trick.

Thank you for your suggestions Griga. I have looked at the configurations pages but can't find what I have to change to get it to work.

PS, I have attached a graph from Mediaportal when I succesfully are playing the file.

/HebbeT

• 3 weeks later...