Creating A DivX Movie from Recorded Video

Scurra

Guide for Recording Digital Video in DivX

Needed: DVBViewer :), GordianKnot 0.26 [first install the full version 0.21 then the update] (get it here: http://www.divx-digest.com/software/gordia...knot_calc.html), VirtualDUb Mp3-Freeze (get it here: http://www.dvd-digest.tv/downloads/files/v...mp3_freeze.zip), Lame Encoder, DivX Codec

Recording MPEG2

1. Start DVBViewer (I tried it using Version 1.9 - it was on the CD of my SkyStar2 card)

2. Give the DVBViewer a higher priority. Use the Windows Task Manager (in XP press Strg+Alt+Del). Go to the Processes and look for the DVBViewer.exe. Right mouse click and "Priority". Select "Higher than normal".

3. Press the record button a minute before the programme you want to record begins. Wait until the programme ended and press the record button again.

Creating D2V

4. Open GordianKnot. Go to "Ripping" and press the DVDtoAvi Button.

5. File > Open. Select the .m2v File created by DVBViewer. Press OK. (Aspect Ration is Wrong but doesn't matter)

6. File > Save Project. Save as a new file in the same directory.

7. When DVD2Avi is ready exit.

Cropping and Preparing

7. In Gordian Knot again press Open in the lower left side. Select the d2v file you created with DVD2Avi.

8. In the window where you can see an image of the video select View > Resized

9. Now go to Resolution. Select PAL at Input Resolution and 4:3 PAL non anamorphic

10. At "W-Modul" select 4 and at "H-Modul" select 2. I suggest setting Width to 480 (using more will result in bad quality because the video is zoomed in)

11. Select Pixels at "Crop" and crop the black stripes away

12. Make sure that Aspect Error is not too high. If so try to crop a bit more pixels away or bit less.

13. In the window with the image again go to File > Save and Encode. I suggest using Sharp Bicubic as Resize Filter-I think it will give the best results. I also suggest using "Field Deinterlace" wich puts the stripes on fast movements in the movie away - or better makes them more smooth. But it also costs a bit of quality... You decide ;)

14. Press Save and save as a new .avs File

15. Now Close GordianKnot.

Transcoding the .mp2 File to Mp3

16. Open the DOS-Commandline. Go to the directory where Lame.exe is located. Type:

lame.exe --mpeg2 -h --abr 128 [FILENAME AND DIRECTORY OF THE MP2 FILE] [FILENAME AND DIRECTORY OF THE NEW MP3 FILE]

ABR means better Quality and 128 is the bitrate - feel free to change this but don't alter the "--mpeg2"

Replace the []-Things with your Filename and Directorys

17. Hit Enter and wait until the Transcoding is completed

Encoding and Cutting

18. Open Virtual Dub Mp3 Freeze. Make Sure in the Audio Menu is a point MP3 Audio if not you are using the wrong file.

19. File > Open Video File Select the .avs file.

20. Audio > MP3 Audio and select the new .mp3 (NOT THE MP2 FILE) you created using lame.exe

21. Now feel free to cut off the ads or whatever you want! Use the left and right buttons to move through the video and mark the part using pos1 and end press del to delete the selected parts.

22. Video > Compression Select the DivX Codec (I suggest using 5.0.2 or any newer version) and press configure. Now put a bitrate in the bitrate box. I suggest using at least 850 kbit for most videos. If it is a kind of talkshow or sitcom using the full 4:3 screen you should use higher bitrates like 1200.

23. Ok Ok File > Save AVI - Save the File wherever you want it and wait until the Encoding Progress ended. If you did everything right it should be sync. (When I tried it - it was.)

Oh no... 23 Steps Do you know "Illuminatus" ?? No, just kidding ...

I'm sorry for my bad english ... but I hope everyone can understand it.

As I said "You decide" but it isn't "advanced". It may look hard to follow but if you have done it 2 or 3 times it's realy easy. And the best is that cutting is possible... :)

Here is how I do compression, I prefer it because I think it's much faster compression, you have more control, and get cleaner picture.

It suite more for 16/9 format of clips.

You will need same programs as in Scurra post.

First 2 steps are same:

Recording MPEG2

Creating D2V

Now in some editor (Notepad) make file called something.avs and inside put something like:

LoadPlugin("D:\Programi\divx\GORDIA~1\mpeg2dec.dll")

LoadPlugin("D:\Programi\divx\GORDIA~1\decomb.dll")

mpeg2source("E:\temp27\a.d2v")

SeparateFields

SelectOdd

Off course your paths and names will be different.

Now open that file in VirtualDub.

You got clip without interpolation, but half size height.

- First we do cropping

v dub/video/filters/null transfer

And crop black scware

- Now resize:

v dub/video/filters/resize/precise bilinear

What size should we set.

If clip is 16/9 then: 512x272; 512x232; 512x208

If clip is 4/3 then: 512x384 or 320x240

- Optionally you can add 'Delogo' or 'Logo away' filter

- Compress with your favorite codec

video/compression

file/save as

Transcoding the .mp2 File to Mp3

I suggest some gui for Lame like RazorLame... and using VBR instead ABR

After you finished conversion, mix audio/video with Nandub:

video/directstream copy

audio/vbr

file/save as

I feel like Gmorky... seems a bit lengthy. I prefer Vidomi - it's freeware and contains everything it needs: cropping, cutting, converting, playing... after installation I selected the source file (mpg), clicked the start conversion-button, and there it was: my first divx file! :) No hopping from program to program... really great!

Griga

@ joojant200:

i tried to follow your intstuctions and it works fine. but i have a question on the step resizing:

"If clip is 4/3 then: 512x384 or 320x240"

the clip is 480x160 or something like 480xXXX ... so if i resize this clip to 512x384 i loose quality because i make it bigger??

or is 480x... not the real size??

@ joojant200:

"If clip is 4/3 then: 512x384 or 320x240"

the clip is 480x160 or something like 480xXXX ... so if i resize this clip to 512x384 i loose quality because i make it bigger??

or is 480x... not the real size??

Hi,

In that case you probably can't use it with resize to 512x384 without loose quality :)

This metod fits best if movie/clips is in 16/9 mode and recorded resolution is 720x576 or 528x576.