EPG Set up problems. Is there a guide? - XEPG, XMLTV, EPG Plus, automa

cheenis

Dear Gurus,

Can anybody help me? I can't work out how to get EPG data to display, nor work with EPG Plus. I'm using DVBViewer Pro.

I've followed all the instructions I could find but the EPG data still doesn't display. I'm obviously doing something wrong and am probably jut being thick! I've searched the forum for tutorials but failed to find one (also the 3 character or less search restriction does hinder a search for anything with EPG in it!), I figured there would be a pinned topic on the newbies board for step by step set up of everything, but alas no. Can anybody help point me to the right pages or help me resolve this issue please?

If such a thing doesn't exist already, here is what I want to do:

1) Set up to record certain programs in a similar way to Sky+ series links.

2) Ideally I want DVBViewer to wake up my PC from standby, record my program and return to standby once it has finished recording.

3) At the very least I want it to wake up for a timer to record (in the background) whilst the PC is on - I have a nebula TV card in the machine which does this and I'd like DVBViewer to do the same.

Problems:

1) EPG Data doesn't seem to come over the air, so I downloaded XEPG to do the work for me, I have followed the set up instructions and it always returns success messages, but the EPG data is still not displaying, and EPGPlus is not picking up any data to search and trigger the automatic setting of timers

2) I have EPG Plus, do I need anything else to ensure my recordings ar all automated. Basically I'd like to put in key word like "Scrum V" and know that everytime it comes on it will record, so I'd like the epg collection automated to and scudlued a a job.

My settings in XMLTV are:

XMLTV TV Data file: D:\Applications\Sat app\xmltv listings\data.xml

Grabber Executable: C:\Program Files\XMLTV GUI\XmltvGUI.exe

Grabber parameters: -grabsilent

Grabber working directory: D:\Applications\Sat app\xmltv listings

Character set: Auto

XMLTV File reading engine: Microsoft IE

Adjust timezone by (minutes): 0

Missing stop times: nothing selected

I've paired the channels and am getting the data from the Radio Times. When I click the Run Grabber(s) button XMLTV GUI 3.11.01w comes up and I have to hit the button to start it. It takes ages and reutrns the following:

XMLTV GUI 3.11.01W

18:51:57 - Clearing cache

18:51:57 - Finished pass 1 of grabber UK_RT

18:51:57 - 90883 programs found

18:51:57 - Starting pass 1 of processor UK_RT_ALT_XMLTV

18:51:57 - Finished pass 1 of processor UK_RT_ALT_XMLTV

18:51:57 - Combining Grabber Programs

18:51:58 - Finished Combining Grabber Programs

18:51:58 - Sorting Programs

18:52:04 - Programs Sorted

18:52:04 - Writing XML

18:52:34 - XML Written

XEPG

Running: C:\Program Files\XMLTV GUI\XmltvGUI.exe -grabsilent

Finished: C:\Program Files\XMLTV GUI\XmltvGUI.exe -grabsilent

Succes!

I've not automated this yet and I'm using XP (home edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3). If anybody can help me automate this (I'm not a programmer, so step by step would be really apprecaited) I'd be etenally grateful.

My Settings within DVBViewer Pro are:

Do not recieve EPG Data - ticked

Persistent EPG Data - ticked

Recieve MediaHighway EPG Data - ticked

Show timerwindow after sending to PVR - not ticked

Auto pop up EPG info (in seconds) - 4

Time Zone Settings: Automatic time zone

my config folder is at the following location: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CMUV

I have been wondering if I am putting the file in the wrong place, but couldn't see where I should put it.

This has been driving me mad, if anybody can help me I'd be very grateful and sorry if this is somewhere obvious, I genuinely have tried to find it.

Thanks in advance!

First of all

Very long posts get no attention, its to complicated. Keep it short

EPGPlus is in my opinion dead. Too many problems with new releases of DVBViewer.

Instead use Recording Service, it is also perfect to wake up your PC for recording

About EPG, somebody else must help you, i am in another country, using another SAT

Right, thank for the advice, I'll write another short one. All the posts I have found ask for all this information son I thought I would do it now rather than in pieces later. Clearly showing my green newbie credentials.

Happy to use the recording service, Anything that make it all simplier is good by me.

Thanks for your advice and help.