New Version 4.5?

ElecardFAN

Hi, i read that the new version will be released within the next weeks and comes up with a new key system? May i ask how the procedure work for older customers? I dont have a problem at all to rebuy the software, but i suppose several users probably don't want to :bye:

The other question is, why only a subversion step to 4.5? From what happended the last months it would be more than fair to put the 5 as major increase before the comma :bye:

Regards

Peter

Wow, this was fast because i just uploaded the news a few minutes earlier.

The 5.0 will come for sure, but Lars and I have several things on our list which has to be implemented for the major release. For example I work since a while on MHEG5 and some sort of integrated Mediamanager which will be probably get fed by several online listing services, in order to implement comfortable OnDemand and Streaming channels.

sample.jpg

We do have also tons of other ideas for the next years, so you can be sure that we don't run out of ideas :bye:

The most friendly explanation for the new key system is that this step is unluckily necessary, since well a lot people seem to have absolutely no morale and respect for the work of others. We rely on the will of customers to buy the software if they use it since we neither already do nor plan to use a subscription fee. Nevertheless additional payments, if a customer is satisfied with the product, are fairly welcome.

As i already wrote on the website, the key change will be offered for older customers some days before the official release date. Since we are no robots it might take a while so please be patient. Customers who buy till the "Day X" will automatically get the ability to request the new key and login for downloading the final, before the official release day. Please keep in mind that if you do no longer have access to your old email address, it might take some time for us to identify your account.

Christian

Hi,

I still dont understand if existing customers will have to buy a new license for the upcoming 4.5 version or will just need to upgrade the old license for free for the new key system. Can you please clarify for me?

And can you go more in details about the new license system? For example if I have a DVBViewer server + 2 other DVBViewer clients in separate rooms do I have to purchase a license for all of them even if they are used in the same household?

I dont mind paying but it would be nice if you could clarify this for me .

Thank you

Alex

I no longer have access to my old email address which i used to register DVBViewer some years ago. Is there a way I can update my email address, as I don't want to miss out on the new key on the new version.

Who should I contact?

Thanks

These cases will be handled. We'll try to make the transition as smooth and painless as possible, so don't panic. Until we announce when the transition for existing customers starts, you don't have to do anything. :bye:

Hi Guys, first post, have been using DVBViewer for couple of years now, must say the lastest beta versions have been sweet as, they seemed to have ironed out any minor pixilating I have, whether it was just creating another folder and over-writing with the install I don't know, anyway I'll be happy to pay the fee again, just an awesome program. Thanks

I guess the DVBViewer guys will have something in petto to avoid this. I suppose the major thing is to fight against those who resell the software without licensing it. I found multiple arab/turkish sites sell obviously illegal copies of the software. While stumbling over these links i get angry and i guess Christian and the others here will feel equally.

Peter

Edited by ElecardFAN
Won't this be protection be broken/kegened within minutes?

What is to be achieved by re-protecting DVBViewer?

A professional thief can open your car in seconds and steal it. So what is achieved by locking it? Or attaching a better lock to the door of your house?

What is to be achieved by re-protecting DVBViewer?

Pretty silly argument isn't it? If you take this to the max the best thing to do would be, just Kill the DVBViewer sit in a corner and weep softly... Is this what you want? No sells means for the key people to look for other means to support their lifes. Which most likely would not leave enough time to keep the whole DVBViewer project alive.

I personally can't understand how people can be so cheap that they spend (relatively) big money on a PC and other hardware needed for DVB and don't want to spend 15 Eus (or 19 $) for a software which does make the whole thing work.

And don't give me "No Demo", just testing and sh**. Just take a look at the known forums supporting illegal downloads. If only half of all the people there thanking the criminals would stick to the "test and buy" sh**, the viewer would be in the millions of sales... And I'm sure they do use the viewer cause there is no other software which really and honestly can really compete with the it...

Pretty silly argument isn't it? If you take this to the max the best thing to do would be, just Kill the DVBViewer sit in a corner and weep softly... Is this what you want? No sells means for the key people to look for other means to support their lifes. Which most likely would not leave enough time to keep the whole DVBViewer project alive.

I personally can't understand how people can be so cheap that they spend (relatively) big money on a PC and other hardware needed for DVB and don't want to spend 15 Eus (or 19 $) for a software which does make the whole thing work.

And don't give me "No Demo", just testing and sh**. Just take a look at the known forums supporting illegal downloads. If only half of all the people there thanking the criminals would stick to the "test and buy" sh**, the viewer would be in the millions of sales... And I'm sure they do use the viewer cause there is no other software which really and honestly can really compete with the it...

Typically over dramatic response, complete with random point I had no intention of using.

Your protection will be broken in seconds, that's a fact.

I bought this software, and I very rarely do that. I bought it because it's awesome and I use it all the time. Many people however don't care about paying for software no matter how good it is.

However that won't stop the people who are professionally stealing from you, they will simply pass your program onto their crackers, and the cycle will continue. Once it's in the wild then we're back to square one.

Take a look at Zoomplayer, how's that whole protection thing working for him?

Anyway, you're no doubt going misinterpret this (and indeed all my responses) and claim *I'm* somehow responsible for people depriving you of income when I'm simply pointing out the reality of the situation.

I agree that it must be very frustrating to see your product pirated, tens of thousands of developers before you have too, and not one of them has successfully protected their investment against theft.

I've seen it happen for the past 22 years.....

Stick to producing quality products, and being more polite.

OK, just prove your point. How long did it take till the current protection was really broken? You seem to know much more about it than the people really involved?

and being more polite.

That's a two way street... And don't restrict this only to words but also to actions... It's polite to research before asking. It's polite to use common sense before asking. It's polite to think of the implication for everyone else before asking for something. Must I continue? ;)

Your protection will be broken in seconds, that's a fact.

What comes next? Easy to predict: milliseconds ;)

Yeah that's the kind of posting which makes you doubt the connection of the poster to reality and the intention of the posting... :) Seems purely to oppose and annoy. I don't sense anything productive there.... Bad vibes I tell you, BAD vibes.... ;):D

Amusing as you no doubt appear to each other, you neatly failed to address my original point, that this adding of protection is pointless.

My intention was to highlight the futility of doing this, but good luck to you, hopefully you'll make an unbreakable copy protection.

Amusing as you no doubt appear to each other, you neatly failed to address my original point, that this adding of protection is pointless.

My intention was to highlight the futility of doing this, but good luck to you, hopefully you'll make an unbreakable copy protection.

Omitting the copy protection is like leaving your car open with keys inside. An expert thief will go away with the car anyway, luckily there are only a few of them, and the danger to be caught rises everyday with new GPS tracking systems.

This is why insurance companies insist of having your car locked. As we say in germany: "Opportunity makes the thief"

I heard from my BMW dealer they can track the car even if no SIM card is in the "black box". Police stopped the lorry with the 2 stolen cars 50km ahead of the ukrainian border...

Edited by esackbauer

There is no ubreakable protection. Everything that was locked by one person can be unlocked by another. It is just a matter of time. If software cost is unreasonable high, people will always prefer crack. In case of DVBViewer license costs less than an hour of programmer's working time. It means that spending more than 1 hour, including internet search and download, for breaking license has no economical reason. Unless the cracker is a very bad person and his primary target is to make damage to developers.

Edited by Andrey123456
and his primary target is to make damage to developers.

...and to all users, regarding the time and the resources that are necessary to make breaking a protection costly. It's constraining the development of new cool features.

Originally we thought that a very fair price including everything - all updates, all add-ons - would be the best copy protection. Nevertheless we have found posts in dubious forums describing the efforts to make "cracked" DVBViewer versions work (many of them weren't really, even if they looked like at first sight... you never can be sure). People spend hours and days with it, run a high risk of getting trojans, everything just for saving 15 Euro. In my opinion this behaviour shows a severe lack of intelligence. Scotty beam me up... :)

It's a simple fact: There must be enough money coming in. Without it a project like DVBViewer can't be developed further and can't survive. That's why we have to do something... otherwise a situation that Lars has already pointed out will occur inevitably:

No sells means for the key people to look for other means to support their lifes.

Nobody who is working here gets rich. So there isn't much of a nest egg that can help through...

Dear Lars_MQ

I am interested in the problem described party Imbalanced Zero in Post # 5.

The documents proving my ownership of the license, only a letter from you with the name and password, sent out to an unused (wasted) email today.

How to be in this situation?

Hi guys

in my city Barcelona, the cost of...

- a night alcoholic drink in a discotheque or club..................12€

- a menu lunch .................................................. 12€

- 1 litre gas .........................................................1,33€

- a coffee ...........................................................1,20€

- Tabac (I not smooking) ..................................... 3,70€

This son examples of daily costs

Cheers

Edited by defcon5
The most friendly explanation for the new key system is that this step is unluckily necessary, since well a lot people seem to have absolutely no morale and respect for the work of others. We rely on the will of customers to buy the software if they use it since we neither already do nor plan to use a subscription fee.

Christian

Don`t worry there is someboby who paid for your product and cannot use it at all !!! :bye:

What is the problem here. All those that have legit copies will get key codes correct? All customers currently running this software are doing so on Microsoft products which also need product codes and activation processes so what is the issue. If the protection stops 1% of a million fraudulent users then their only means then is to obtain the software legitimately. As the developers have said, more purchasers means more features and more support. That is the only way it can survive surely.

Hi Guys,

as for me, you can change the keys every week as long as I got new one on time :bye:

You should and MUST protect your work to keep you going. As to the crack, yes it will be cracked eventually and it will be the time to change the keys again. Your software and AnyDVD is probably the best investment I ever had.

Keep doing good work for us!

Thanks.

I cannot understand, that people buy TV/Speakers/AVRs/HTPCs etc for thousands of euros and then download the movies. I mean you can buy some blurays for little money or just get them from the video store for 50cent per movie.

I look forward to the new version, and i agree you should do what is possible to protect your intellectual rigths.

Will it be possible, with the new Key system, to continue using the software on more than one PC in the household?

I ask because i use Recording Service as a TV server, and DVBViewer as clients.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Can I check when is this due to be released? Read the previous posts and the news annoucement early May and then heard no more. Great software and excited at thought of new version.

I look forward to the new version, and i agree you should do what is possible to protect your intellectual rigths.

Will it be possible, with the new Key system, to continue using the software on more than one PC in the household?

I ask because i use Recording Service as a TV server, and DVBViewer as clients.

Its funny

Sometimes replys comes seconds after a question ticks in, but some questions are never handled, why?

I think this one is a relevant one to be answered

possible, with the new Key system, to continue using the software on more than one PC in the household?
As far as I know this will not change.

This policy won't change. Within reason you can use it on more than one PC in one household. It's up to you to decide if you want to buy further licences to show your support for the project. :)

This policy won't change. Within reason you can use it on more than one PC in one household. It's up to you to decide if you want to buy further licences to show your support for the project. :)

Thanks for the reply. I will continue to use the SW in my household (3 PC's), and continue to recommend it to my friends, in the forums i participate, and to my customers

Keep up the good work:-)

• 1 month later...