Close DVBViewer 4.2.1 when I hit the power button

Mr. Man-wai Chang

How could I stop DVBViewer from preventing Win 7 to shutdown when I hit the power button?

I can't find any relevant option in actions.ini or tweats.txt! I searched the forum with the keyword "shutdown" and found nothing recent helpful.

BTW, I don't want to use DVBViewer as a shutdown "button". Just want DVBViewer to behave like normal programs when the power button was pressed. ;)

Thank you in advance!

If i understand you right, you are pressing the Powerbutton on the PC, or on the remote. Then nothing happens. The PC is not going to suspend or hibernate?

Here it works perfect. I DVBViewer is running, and i press the powerbutton, the PC hibernates. When pressing the powerbutton again, the PC wakes up and DVBViewer continues. I this what you want it to do?

If i understand you right, you are pressing the Powerbutton on the PC, or on the remote. Then nothing happens. The PC is not going to suspend or hibernate?

Here it works perfect. I DVBViewer is running, and i press the powerbutton, the PC hibernates. When pressing the powerbutton again, the PC wakes up and DVBViewer continues. I this what you want it to do?

When I hit the power button, Win 7 reported that DVBViewer was blocking the shutdown and required me to click "Force Shut Down".

Note that DVBViewer was showing a channel when I hit the power button.

Edited by Mr. Man-wai Chang
When I hit the power button, Win 7 reported that DVBViewer was blocking the shutdown and required me to click "Force Shut Down".

Note that DVBViewer was showing a channel when I hit the power button.

Why do you wan't to shutdown, when DVBViewer is running? Wouldn't it be a smarter solution to use hibernate og standby?

Why do you wan't to shutdown, when DVBViewer is running? Wouldn't it be a smarter solution to use hibernate og standby?

To make it easier for my mother to turn off the PC. I could just brutally turn off the PC by hitting the switch at the power supply.

But I rather turn off the usual way via the power button at the front of the PC.

So how could I tell DVBViewer to respond the Window$ shutdown command properly?

Yes, but if you, in powermanagement, program the Powerbutton to Hibernate, then when your mother hits the powerbutton, the PC saves the memory to disk, and powers down the PC. When she hits the powerbutton again, the PC wakes up, restores from harddisk and, voila, your mother is where she left

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, but if you, in powermanagement, program the Powerbutton to Hibernate, then when your mother hits the powerbutton, the PC saves the memory to disk, and powers down the PC. When she hits the powerbutton again, the PC wakes up, restores from harddisk and, voila, your mother is where she left

1. Reverted the OS back to WinXP. DVBViewer still prevented WinXP from shutting down or hibernating when I hit the power button.

2. Setting DVBViewer to Shutdown PC when Closed, DVBViewer did NOT do anything!

What should I try next?

Yes, you are right! After testing it myself it doesnt work. DVBViewer freezes and the shutdown session stops. It is the same with the beta. You should report about this bug in the beta section. Seems it has slipped by undetected, probably cuz very few HTPC users use this windows function.

Edited by majstang
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not a bug, it's a feature. ;)

This was implemented in order to prevent the computer from shutting down while DVBViewer is recording or is about to record soon. However, it always prevents the computer from shutting down, even when no recordings are scheduled.

A workaround would be to use Event Ghost. With that program, you can set commands to be executed before the computer shuts down. So, you can just use Event Ghost to close DVBViewer, when the power button is pressed.