Excellent static picture, but motion shudders

ChrisC

Using DVBViewer Pro 4.2.1.0 with a Technotrend TT-Budget S2-3200 DVB FTA Satellite PCI card (5.0.1.8 driver) on a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Intel P45 chipset mobo with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz CPU (<40 % used while running Viewer). 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Memory. ATI Visiontek Radeon HD4850 Graphics card 512MB GDDR3 with the latest Catalyst 10.4 drivers. XP Pro SP3 + all updates.

Watching the Indy Quals on G19/H/3740/29270/HD/mpeg2 video/ VERSUS Network yesterday and today. Static images and all sound are excellent, but whenever an object moves (or the camera pans) the picture shudders. The faster the movement the greater the shudder. I'm using the ffdshow codec, and have played around with it a little.....not knowing what I'm doing. I like to figure this out in case the same VERSUS Network also carries the race. I get other HD content without this problem, without the need to change anything..... Perhaps it's just something that needs tweaked a little.......But wow!....Where to start?

Any Ideas?

Thank Much For Any Ideas,

Chris

support.zip

Edited by ChrisC

Could you define "shudders" more precisely? Is the playback stumbling or gets the image worse (like dissorted with many fine lines), etc...

Hard to explain....don't really see any lines, sometimes when cars are going around a turn and the camera is panning, I notice a little jaggies on the white track line. Watching the cars coming straight at you down the main stretch, with a non-panning camera, some times looks fairly solid, but once the angle that you are looking at the car with respect to the background increases the car starts to shake. Watching a close-up of a driver talking with a static background, the background remains fairly stable but the driver look like a 'bobble head'. Watching cars running past a panning camera's view, the car and track shudders, but the static Indy Logo across the bottom of the screen remains stable, until it fades out....then it also starts to shake..... Like it can't deal with any motion. A distant shot of a camera man walking around a static car....car looks steady...but the camera man looks like he's doing the 't-berry shuffle'....two steps forward....one step back.....I think all motion looks that 'hurky-jurky' way.

I can't think of a better way other that a video clip to explain it....."A picture is worth a thousand words".

Thanks for Your Response,

Where to start?

It sure sounds to be ordinary motion blur you are seeing.

Get rid of ffdshow to start with and use cyberlink powerdvd 9 or 10 codecs instead.

It sounds like there is no deinterlacer active. I think it can be activated somewhere in ffdshow, but I have no clue where. Did you try the mainconcept MPEG decoder?

It sure sounds to be ordinary motion blur you are seeing.

Get rid of ffdshow to start with and use cyberlink powerdvd 9 or 10 codecs instead.

I assume those aren't free...won't bother me if it fixes the problem. I know I've got a CD somewhere that came with a DVD burner, can't remember how long ago it was purchased, so I'm not sure of the version. I'll have to check into that if all else fails. Odd though; Although I only use this setup on occasion, I haven't had this problem with other HD content. I watched the 500 last year (ABC feed, IIRC), and the picture was perfect. I looked at an HD Christian Network today, on the same bird, no problems, I'm wandering if the VERSUS is doing something weird....just noticed the Viewer status bar shows 1920 x 1088, 29.97 fps .....I thought the standard is 1080. ?????

Thanks For Responding,

It sounds like there is no deinterlacer active. I think it can be activated somewhere in ffdshow, but I have no clue where. Did you try the mainconcept MPEG decoder?

To get best hardware deinterlacing with ffdshow you need to set NV12 colorspace in output and select "set interlace flag in output media type".

I assume those aren't free...won't bother me if it fixes the problem.

Cyberlink MPEG2 codec is free, you get it with the Shark and klite codec packs.

Edited by dvbrewer

The 'Deinterlacing' box was unchecked, as are all other boxes, checking it made no difference. I tried each 'method'....all the 'tic boxes' & controls in each.....way beyond my head. I played with a few, but nothing seemed to effect the display at all...I assume all I needed to do is click 'apply' after making the change.

I tried the mainconcept MPEG decoder, but got no video at all...only sound.

What do you think about my reply above, as to the odd 1920 x 1088 resolution?

Thanks For Your Time,

No it isn't. These codec packs are simply theft in case of the professional codecs. Please stop spreading illegal advices in this forum, otherwise we'll have to suspend you. :biggrin:

To get best hardware deinterlacing with ffdshow you need to set NV12 colorspace in output and select "set interlace flag in output media type".

No change noticed. Do I uncheck the others under 'Packed YUV'? Hovering over the ffdshow icon in the notification area....it still shows YUY2.

Thanks for the info on the Cyberlink codec.

No change noticed. Do I uncheck the others under 'Packed YUV'? Hovering over the ffdshow icon in the notification area....it still shows YUY2.

The 'Deinterlacing' box was unchecked, as are all other boxes, checking it made no difference. I tried each 'method'....all the 'tic boxes' & controls in each.....way beyond my head. I played with a few, but nothing seemed to effect the display at all...I assume all I needed to do is click 'apply' after making the change.

For hardware deinterlacing, which is the best kind, no box on the left column needs to be ticked you just need to select NV12 colorspace in Output, unselect all the others, and select "set interlace flag in output media type".

No it isn't. These codec packs are simply theft in case of the professional codecs. Please stop spreading illegal advices in this forum, otherwise we'll have to suspend you. :biggrin:

I think in the US, the actual MPEG2 decoder is free of copyright, but not the PowerDVD programme or H.264 decoder, which is why only the MPEG2 decoder is included in these packs. I don't know whether this applies to Germany though.

Edited by dvbrewer
the actual MPEG2 decoder is free of copyright,

Oh yeah, tell it the MPEG-LA. They're like the RIAA, but faster. And these guy shold be well known in the US :biggrin:

And even IF it were free of copyright, the Cyberlink decoder isn't. It's part of the Software Cyberlink sells.

You sound like a

"Oh no officer I didn't steal that car. The keys were in and the door open so I just took it, it must have been free..."

guy.

For hardware deinterlacing, which is the best kind, no box on the left column needs to be ticked you just need to select NV12 colorspace in Output, unselect all the others, and select "set interlace flag in output media type".

OK... if I got this right now:

Supported output colorspaces-----NV12 checked

Select closest matching colorspace------checked (default)

Set interface flag in output media type------checked

method & field order-----both Auto

nothing checked in the left column.

No joy.......moving objects still quiver.

More Ideas?

If you think its the ffdshow codec, I'm up for buying powerDVD if that will fix it. I assume they have a trial version, so I suppose I could try that first. I don't have burning sw on this machine yet anyway. I found the CD that came with the LG GH22LP20 DVD bought about two years ago and and installed in this machine when built a year ago. I have no idea what version of PowerDVD is on it.....also has Nero express..... Might try that.

Thanks For Your Time,

OK... if I got this right now:

Supported output colorspaces-----NV12 checked

Select closest matching colorspace------checked (default)

Set interface flag in output media type------checked

method & field order-----both Auto

nothing checked in the left column.

That sounds right, what version of ffdshow are you using- have you tried a newer version from here?

If you think its the ffdshow codec, I'm up for buying powerDVD if that will fix it.

I doubt it. You may be getting tearing, have you tried setting Vertical refresh to always on in the 3D settings of ATi CCC?

Edited by dvbrewer
That sounds right, what version of ffdshow are you using- have you tried a newer version from here?

I doubt it. You may be getting tearing, have you tried setting Vertical refresh to always on in the 3D settings of ATi CCC?

newer version> ......Don't remember what version I WAS running, but it appears whats being served has a fairly new release date, so I'm guessing I might have been running something older. After the quals were over I uninstalled ffdshow and installed the K-lite mega pack, but by the time I got back to the feed it was dark, so I don't know if I still have the issue. I tried searching for other birds with VERSUS feeds, but no luck.....They appear to be owned by Comcast. (a US cable Co) I think the K-lite pack has caused my system to stay active all the time (never tries to enter sleep mode) unless I reboot after running DVBViewer. Never had this problem until I installed the K pack, so, I'll probably go back to just the ffdshow codec, hopefully the K pack will uninstall without problems.

Vertical refresh> ........I guess I don't know what 'tearing' is. I searched for the term and found some examples that look a bit like what I was seeing, but the 'tearing' was occurring on a static image, not the portion of the image that was moving, as in my case.

It is set to "Off, unless application specifies". I'll keep changing the setting in mind, if I run into this issue again or on other content.

I'll reply back if I have any results in the future....until then; Thank You for parting your knowledge.

newer version> ......Don't remember what version I WAS running, but it appears whats being served has a fairly new release date, so I'm guessing I might have been running something older.

I'd try some of latest ffdshow SVNs, a lot of changes have been made since the last stable release.

Vertical refresh> ........I guess I don't know what 'tearing' is. I searched for the term and found some examples that look a bit like what I was seeing, but the 'tearing' was occurring on a static image, not the portion of the image that was moving, as in my case.

Not sure what you mean there, tearing always occurs with a moving image AFAIK, I had the problem on XP myself, and fixed it as I described (not a problem on Windows 7).

I'd try some of latest ffdshow SVNs, a lot of changes have been made since the last stable release.

Not sure what you mean there, tearing always occurs with a moving image AFAIK, I had the problem on XP myself, and fixed it as I described (not a problem on Windows 7).

Perhaps I chose a bad example....I did a Google search and found a short 6Mb D/L of a duck diving (moving image) down to the bottom in a body of water, but the 'tear' was more related to an area on the screen, in this case about 1/4 up from the bottom. The static picture of the floor [sand, clams or rocks] would shifted to the right and was shaking somewhat. The duck was undistorted. In my case, anything in the picture moving, would shake......while the rest would remain stable...of coarse, as long as the camera wasn't panning....then, everything would shake.

Perhaps 'tearing' is a term used loosely for trashy-looking out-of-sync video. ;)