Process Timer as After recording task?

majstang

Two questions:

1) It is quite unclear in Wiki how to use a process task timer as an After recording task. In my case i have a task named MyHibernate which is usable within the RS Process Task Timers group. This task executes a batch file which executes the MyHibernate script. My plan was to have this Script/Process timer as an After recording task on every Recording timers that will be created, but the Wiki focuses on what is possible (with FFMPEG and VLC) and not how to accomplish this thing. Need some help on this?

2) Wiki says regarding Process Timer it allows the executing of external programs like TVInfo, tvxml import etc. The timer uses the existing Process Tasks.

Important: if you use a program make sure it closes itself after executing and it is not allowed to show any message boxes at all. The programs are running in the user context of the Recording Service and there is no user interaction at all.

This is really unlucky cuz messageboxes is extremly needed for making scripts (hibernationscripts) foolproof. Covering for every possible usersituation in a script is impossible and would require so many variables it would be ridiculous. Is there a way to allow messageboxes somehow?

Edited by majstang

Ok, second try!

How to use my script as a "Post record action"?

I have created a task with my script. This task is a "Process Task Timer", BUT "Post record action" only uses "Internal task timers" :(

Edited by majstang

No, it uses only process tasks. you can't use an internal task as a post record task.

You can't use messageboxes or anything else whick would stop the script execution until a user input is done, because there is no interaction with the user. The user would never see the messagebox and the script would simply wait forever.

No, it uses only process tasks. you can't use an internal task as a post record task.

Ok, I have some learning to do :blush:

I really wanna know though how I could use my script which I think is a Process Task Timer as a "Post record action"?

To explain it more clearly:

Bringing up a "SearchEPG" or an "Active Timer" and checking out the

"Post record action" alternatives:

-Nothing

-Shutdown

-Standby

-Hibernate

When checking out the:

"Task" altenatives:

-none

-XEPG

-IntelligentHibernation

I wanna use "IntelligentHibernation" as a "Post record action" or somehow make this task ("IntelligentHibernation") to work as a "Post record action". How can i do that?

You can't use messageboxes or anything else whick would stop the script execution until a user input is done, because there is no interaction with the user. The user would never see the messagebox and the script would simply wait forever.

Yes, I did notice exactly this behavior you are describing when trying some msgbox in my script. I could imagine there wouldnt be any possibility in getting userinteraction in some future version of RecService or better yet using the messageboxes you are using for Shutdown, Standby and Hibernate tasks in scripts? Your messageboxes are much nicer than the ones i am abled to produce and best of all they have userinteraction :D

Edited by majstang
I wanna use "IntelligentHibernation" as a "Post record action" or somehow make this task ("IntelligentHibernation") to work as a "Post record action". How can i do that?

Use it as a task. See: http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Timer_concept_of_the_DVBViewer_Recording_Service#After_recording_task

Do not confuse Shut down action (shutdown/sleep/hibernate) with an after recording task. It is really all explained in the before mentioned wiki entry.

Use it as a task. See: http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Timer_concept_of_the_DVBViewer_Recording_Service#After_recording_task

Do not confuse Shut down action (shutdown/sleep/hibernate) with an after recording task. It is really all explained in the before mentioned wiki entry.

Yes i have read this part of the wiki back and forth several times, but do not get more enlighten sadly. I may be a bit stupid.

The wiki mensions the following:

For this to work properly you have to give some data about the recording to the Process timer. Therefore you can use keywords in the parameters of the Process timer. The Recording Service will replace them with the actual values.

But it does not mension a word about what parameter to use for changing a task into a After recording task. The VLC and FFMPEG example does not go into detail on that part.

So, what is the parameter to use to make the task change into a After recording task?

Edited by majstang
But it does not mension a word about what parameter to use for changing a task into a After recording task.

Of course not. IT IS A AFTER RECORDING TASK AND NOT A AFTER RECORDING ACTION. There is a difference you know. :)

Pardon my ignorance, but i still dont understand this!

My task IntelligentHibernate contains a batchfile which starts my script (no parameters applied). If applying this task to an active recording timer for example, the task gets per automatic treated as an After recording task without any parameters telling RecService that this task shall be treated as an After recording task and accordingly be executed after the recording finishes? If yes that would simply be true magic!

Edited by majstang

Heck YES!!!! It is magic :bounce:

It worked but only after a reboot....:blush:

All this time spent on something that should have worked from the beginning if only not running HTPC for 10 days straight without reboot. Then unexpected things can happen. :(:blush:

Thanks for your help Lars!

:bye:

Edited by majstang