Frontend-Backend; CPU Overload and PCI versus PCIe and DVB-S2

Jeremyl

I need to record wild feeds to hard disk. To do this I set up an old computer with 2 SkyStar receivers. The CPU is an AMD XP +2700 with XP Pro OS. CPU overload makes this a very very unreliable platform, so I purchased a new X3430 Xeon computer. I could not get plain PCI slots in a new computer, they are all PCIe, so I cannot use the cards I have. One solution would be to buy new receiver cards. Someday I have to anyway, to receive DVB-S2. But I thought it would be nice if there were a way to have control functions on the old computer with a user interface in a different computer, as I read is possible in MythTV. DVBViewer is nice, and our people understand MS Windoze, but you might find enhanced value by making the functions separate.

If I am wrong, and separation is possible now, please let me know. If not, then consider it for your future plans. Meanwhile I am unsure what to do I loaded Unbuntu 10.04 on the Xeon, but no matter what OS I load in, I don't have receiver cards here that will work.

I did not know that would run without the main application process... "DVBViewer" up. I will give it a try right now. I see the new beta allows choice of the folder into which a timer will deposit the file. We needed that. It will take a while to enter all those subdirectories.... we have over 50 of 'em. THANKS.