Subdirectory - Filename Recording Service Timer Database

Jeremyl

I need to set time with more precision than in 60 second units. Where is the data for record timers kept in Recording Service Beta? How can I change the settings? In some cases the start or end of programs are being clipped. Some programs have immediately adjacent end and start times, on the same satellite, same polarization, and different transport stream. So I cannot use one or the other program. So, to cure this, I need to adjust end or start time with greater precision than in whole one minute units. HELP! The OS knows there are 60 seconds to a minute, but DVB Recording Service does not.

Edited by Jeremyl

I need to set time with more precision than in 60 second units. Where is the data for record timers kept in Recording Service Beta? How can I change the settings? In some cases the start or end of programs are being clipped. Some programs have immediately adjacent end and start times, on the same satellite, same polarization, and different transport stream. So I cannot use one or the other program. So, to cure this, I need to adjust end or start time with greater precision than in whole one minute units. HELP! The OS knows there are 60 seconds to a minute, but DVB Recording Service does not.

Not possible sadly! Many people have requested this but developers seem to think this is not needed, which is unbelievable.

Nope: It cannot be "not possible". I need this and will find it even if I have to decompile it. (that should get Christian Hackbart's attention)... lol

what do you mean? You want to record a show that starts at 20:15 and ends at 22:15 and then you want to record a show on a different transponder that starts at 22:15? right? If the start and end times are really both 22:15 then how would a second precise timer solve this problem? You could maybe minimize the clipping but that would be very hard because you can't know the exact start and ending times. A true solution would be an additional tuner card. Then overlapping recordings are no problem. Or you record one of the shows at anotehr time, many shows are being shown more than once(at night or the otehr day...)

Feed playback is automated at the satellite uplink, so start times are exact. Normally, for the shows I need, we get 50 seconds of color bars, then slate and black for 20 seconds. These shows are not a problem. A few, however, start exactly on time. For example one ends a little after 03:59 and the next on a different transponder starts at exactly 04:00:00 local time. Two seconds missed on the 2nd is not acceptable. Addition of more receivers is limited by available PCI slots. USB receivers would be possible, but I have one USB receiver, a Technisat Skystar USB 2, that has proven to be unable to deal with 45 megabit transport streams. I suspect USB hub bandwidth allocation in the DBA driver is the cause of macroblocking.... I don't know, but overall, getting the configuration right would be easier if I could set timers to a fraction of a second.

By the way, I set the Windows registry to get NTP time from a local NTP server every 15 minutes, so that the computer clock is always within a fraction of a second of the correct time.

sounds like a professional scenario. You do realize, that DVBViewer is a product for Home End users(thats why its so cheap). The recording service is a free addition and is still beta. By the way: You are the very first user who wants this feature. Most users don't want to have precise timers. Because the shows don't start or end precisely. Thats why pretty much everyone has a configured timebuffer before and after the timer.

You say you don't have enough pci slots. Then buy a different PC or a second one, if you really have to record so many adjacent shows with second precision.

Yes. Professional sort of. I own the TV station, there are few locally owned stations left in the US, and money, for us, is very scarce. A professional automated receiving system will cost upwards of $20k. I DID buy a new Dell PC that could be used for this project, but it has PCIe slots, not PCI, so then I run into delay and ordering $500 new DVB receiver cards. And... I guess if I have to do that I will try Myth-TV. What is interesting, is that the professional systems are probably not as good as this nice home type software. All of the pro systems I looked at require decoded input, putting over the air broadcast down one generation from that sent via satellite. Writing the PS to hard drive is very cool. Professionals are just so far behind. The DVBViewer Recording Service is way slick. I love it... Look. Timer data is kept somewhere.... I will find it.

By the way: You are the very first user who wants this feature. Most users don't want to have precise timers. Because the shows don't start or end precisely. Thats why pretty much everyone has a configured timebuffer before and after the timer.

A bold statement to say at least saying most dont want to have precise timers. Have somebody asked them what they want or what? nobody except the developers have any say in this. There are more users than me and Jeremyl who thinks it sucks with start or end of recordings are being clipped. This is due to the choice of using timebuffers. If setting these buffers to 0 minutes to avoid getting clipped recordings you will end up with duplicate recording timers when the autosearchtimers gets executed instead.

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/40951-duplicate-recording-timers-after-autosearch-timer/

It is like choosing between plague or cholera.

I dont understand what in heavens name would introducing seconds when scheduling recordings be so bad for...could you riddle me this?

Edited by majstang

> This is due to the choice of using timebuffers. If setting these buffers to 0 minutes to avoid getting clipped recordings you will end up with duplicate recording timers when the autosearchtimers gets executed.

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/40951-duplicate-recording-timers-after-autosearch-timer/

I dont understand the what in heavens name introducing seconds when scheduling recordings would be so bad for...could you riddle me this?

I can imagine. It may be a lot of work changing the system to include fractions of a second. We don't know. However, the OS knows about seconds, so it may be easy to write an add on or separate application to write fractional minute timers.

BTW, I don't get program info; timebuffers don't do anything when start and end time is manually set.

Hummmm...

Just a weak clue... All Users/Application Data/CMUV/DVBViewer/Database/timers.db ** This file contains an SQLite 2.1 database ** ‹table timer timer 3 CREATE TABLE timer (idTimer text, enabled text, Mode integer, Fire text, time text, description text, data text) ?? Looks empty.

Found this note re Recording Service: "Change: Changed to sqlite Version 3. The database will be converted on first start."

where o where has my database gone????

• 2 weeks later...