Live TV streaming

I have had DVBViewer for a couple of years, and I use Recording Service to great effect on my HTPC running Vista. It does everything I want for recording FreeSat although I have never tried the remote web access facility.

I have an eGreat NMT (like the Popcorn Hour) which successfully networks (via Ethernet cable) to my HTPC to give me playback on my TV. I have one remaining problem which seems to be getting worse: when I want to watch live TV from FreeSat I need to access the DVBViewer Media Server but this often takes many minutes (10 is typical) to be shown on the NMT server list. This can be when the NMT is first booted, or if (for some reason) the HTPC is rebooted. When it finally arrives, the service works fine with no apparent problems (inc both BBCHD and ITVHD).

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received - you can imagine that this is VERY wife unfriendly!

• 4 weeks later...

Just upgraded RS to latest version and all has come good! I now get instant availibility of DVBViewer Media Server, and I now also get a DVBViewer control panel at the NMT end. I am a happy bunny! (I will be 100% happy if I can ever get Vista Sleep to work!!)

Sorry - spoke too soon! I have a problem with live streaming of HD audio - apparently suffering from either too little bandwidth or (much more likely) some issue with the new version of RS. ITV HD is worse than BBC HD. ITV HD starts OK but after about 5 seconds it mutes - when you close the programme the audio comes back for a few frames so I'm wondering if it is some issue with a cache buffer. BBC HD suffers occasional short mutes like it is right on the edge of system resources. Programmes recorded from either channel play back perfectly through the same HTPC/Ethernet/NMT route to my TV (so hence my thought that it is not a data bandwidth issue). Both channels worked perfectly on the previous version (after the long wait for the server to be active). Another thought I have is that the processor is having to work harder on the new version.

Any thoughts appreciated - apologies for having no details since I am posting from work.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for this one man strand!!

Just updated DBViewer to 4.5 and my streaming services have all come good! No audio stuttering anymore. Sometimes BBC HD opens up with the wrong audio channels selected but I think that is down to my NMT (a second attempt invariably works).

One tiny complaint - I used to get a seven day EPG for UK FreeSat but now it is only four days. Any suggestions?

Just updated DBViewer to 4.5 and my streaming services have all come good!

That's interesting, the DVBViewer has NOTHING to do with the recording service streaming at all.

Sorry for this one man strand!!

Scroll to the top and you find the reason for this. :)

Yes - sorry, been posting from work. FWIW the support.zip is now attached.

As you will have read, I'm now a very happy user and I am sure I will sort out the EPG with a little research. I have been hoping to find somebody else using a similar set-up (NMT accessing DBViewer/RS on FreeSat UK) to compare notes.

There are some worrying noises coming out of the BBC about strengthening copy protection, particularly on HD. This is currently planned for Freeview but I cannot imagine FreeSat will escape the same measures.

support.zip