System Requirements

DolbyR

Hello.

I couldn't find anywhere what are the system requirements for a DVBViewer streaming server.

My current HTPC is getting quite noisy and I am having lots of heat problems, also the Video Card (GF 6600) is slowly starting to give up.

As I have a laptop I am not using for anything bc its integrated keyboard is not working, I was wondering if If I could throw my HTPC in the dressing room as it's quite cooler there and I could then even add a better cooling without worrying about noise. Then, I would use the laptop as HTPC as its quiet, faster and smaller, but obviously I can't use my PCI DVB-S cart with it.

I was just wondering if the HTPC is fast enough for streaming over LAN.

It is a P4 2.8 (overclocked to 3.11ghz), 512mb ram at the moment (I might get more soon, as a 512mb dimm just burned out) and a geforce 6600.

The laptop is an Asus X51H with Core Duo T2130 (1.86mhz), 2gb Ram, and intel GMA950 chipset

Do you think this would work?

streaming is not the problem. The Problem is, the client device( I understand that you want to use the laptop as the client) needs the computing power to render the video. The streamign server just fowards the data from the satellite.

In that case, shouldn't the core duo still be able to cope better with processing and outputting the signal than the P4? Even with integrated graphics..

After all, the CPU has quite more processing power, and the Ram is 4 times as much.

I have cat5 LAN all aroundmy apartment, so even the network shouldn't be a bottle neck. Though, I am planning to upgrade to gigabit lan soon.

Ram is not important for this. Even the CPU is not really important when you offload the rendering via DXVA to the graphics card. I don't know if a 1,8 core duo is betetr for that than a 3ghz P4, because this process is not really multithreaded so a second core isn't that useful.

You have to try it out. FOr the streaming server pretty much every old PC is enough.