Recording DVB-S to .ts

daveyboyc

Hi

Is it possible to record from UK freesat to a .ts file containg the teletext subtitles?

Also is it possible to record more than 1 channel on the same transponder with a single tuner?

Cheers

I've only heard the TBS 6980 dual S2 to be completely reliable so far, others may know different.

Also are most of the same channels available on the same transponder that would be available on the same mux in dvb-t? e.g are BBC1,BBC2 and BBC News24 all on the same transponder?

10773H on Astra 2D has BBC 1-4 (BBC One London + 2 England, other regions are on different transponders), BBC NEWS is on Astra 2A with BBC Parliament and the NEWS & CBBC multiscreen, the BBC Sport & entertainment red button channels are on 12441V on Astra 2B.

So to be clear, I have a transponder list with the same information, You would need the use of 2 tuners to record BBC1,BBC2 and BBCNews24 whereas if you were using a DVB-T tuner you would only need 1. Maybe the use of both types of tuners might work better.

So to be clear, I have a transponder list with the same information, You would need the use of 2 tuners to record BBC1,BBC2 and BBCNews24

Yes.

if you were using a DVB-T tuner you would only need 1. Maybe the use of both types of tuners might work better.

DVB-T (Freeview) gives you extra channels over Freesat i.e. Dave, Fiver, Five USA, Sky 3, Quest, Yesterday, VIVA, 4Music (not availiable everywhere, check your postcode on the Freeview website for more info).

Would it be possible to record everything coming out of astra 2d on 1 tuner? or at least for example BBC1, BBC2 ,ITV and channel4?

No, one tuner can only record one transponder on satellite.

I happy multi record using a Pinnacle 7010ix, it accepts 2 satellite inputs and 2 freeview inputs.

For satellite I tend to record in the following blocks of channels, if I want to record more than 2 blocks than the programme I'm least fussed about is recorded on the freeview input

BBC1

BBC2

BBC3 / CBBC

BBC4 / Cbeebies

Five

ITV1

ITV2

ITV4

CITV

Ch4

More4+1

Film4

Film4+1

Ch4+1

E4

E4+1

More4

ITV3

ITV3+1

STV

UTV

ITV1

Maybe the pinnacle might work best for me then. Are you able to use it with DVBViewer?

I will probably look to setup 1 dual dvb-t and 1 hybrid and 2 dual dvb-s, so i can record all the major news channels.

Where can i buy that pinnacle card? does anyone know?

Refurbished ones from this german seller on ebay, 22.90e postage to UK. Note that BBC HD and the upcoming BBC One HD MAY switch to S2 method in the autumn, so would not work, but it is not certain whether it will or not.

Edited by dvbrewer

Refurbished ones from this german seller on ebay, 22.90e postage to UK. Note that BBC HD and the upcoming BBC One HD MAY switch to S2 method in the autumn, so would not work, but it is not certain whether it will or not.

wish id known earlier. i just bought one for double that on ebay!!!

Could you advise me possibly on how i might go about installing the card in my PC? I dont have much experience with PCI cards.

I'm not sure if it will actually fit.

• Open up you PC case
  • Find empty slot that looks like x4 slot shown below
  • Unscrew card slot place that lines up with your slot
  • Place new card in slot, push card in slot, sometimes these need a gentle but firm wriggle to get the front plate to the small hole
  • Using the spare screw, screw the card to the PC case, this doesn't need to by tight as there isn't much to loosen it

pcie_connector.jpg

Thanks!

Im pretty new to installing new hardware obviously. Unfortunately won't be able to use this the card at the moment though.

Do you happen to know if the CPU usage of the card is quite high when all tuners used simultaneously?

You think I would be OK using 2 of these in conjunction with a further 3 dual tuners? (In a Quad core server with 6TB)?

Do you happen to know if the CPU usage of the card is quite high when all tuners used simultaneously?

You think I would be OK using 2 of these in conjunction with a further 3 dual tuners? (In a Quad core server with 6TB)?

CPU usage is negable when recording, it's the bandwidth to the harddisk that's important - I've been able to record 20 channels at once with no problem