DVBViewer scan or Transedit scan ?

leecovuk

Hello,

I should probably finally clarify this, seeing as I have yet to understand it.

What is the difference between the scanning within DVBViewer as opposed to downloading and using Transedit?

Do they both use the same 'core'?

Are they the same except for available options and user interface?

I'm confused because if Transedit is superior (presumably), why isn't it 'embedded' within DVBViewer as the only scanner?

Thanks a lot,

Lee

UK

why isn't it 'embedded' within DVBViewer as the only scanner?

It doesn't make sense to integrate everything for every need in a single program. We don't want to create software monsters that are not managable anymore, you know... that's why there are add-ons like the Recording Service, TransEdit etc with outsourced capabilities.

..cos the pro_devs seem not particulary interested in improving the scanning engine

Rubbish. The scanner engine is identical. The UI is different. An ignorant statement of someone who knows nothing about software development...

..even if the engine is identical the results are not. And my statement included the channel list. Not all parameters that transedit produces can be exported to the dvbv-pro.

oops I didn't expect to cause an argument !

So, can I assume Transedit is generally the recommended choice ... or have I got that wrong? How to choose?

Thanks,

Lee

How to choose?

From my point of view, if I want to tune in channels, I use DVBViewer. If I want to analyse a transmission stream or check the signal quality I use TransEdit.

My take is that TransEdit is for engineering anoraks (like me :unsure: ) and DVBViewer tuner is for normal people who want to watch telly!

Thanks Cian for your opinion.

I've been doing some testing / scanning and haven't yet reached a personal conclusion.

However it seems I can no longer trust the transponder lists offered by fastsatfinder.com. This is because I was consistently failing to pick up Sky News HD, then I went to kingofsat and noticed the symbol rate is wrong in the fastsatfinder list/program from Saturday.

It should be

76=12460,H,29500,34,S2,QPSK

rather than

76=12460,H,29515,34,S2,QPSK

I'm not going to manually check an imported transponder list ... makes it rather pointless and causes more work!

Do you guys find using the NIT option(s) in DVBViewer or Transedit are always reliable? If so, I'll forget about importing transponder lists and trust the programs. If reliable, I assume that will detect and/or correct all transponder data.

Lee

Do you guys find using the NIT option(s) in DVBViewer or Transedit are always reliable?

It depends on the provider (Astra or BSkyB in this case). Sometimes things are handled a bit carelessly... no, not always reliable. Additionally Hauppauge cards are very picky about DVB-S2 transponder parameters (Modulation, FEC, Pilot Symbols). Particularly Pilot Symbols on/off can not be retrieved by a NIT scan, nor from LyngSat (quite helpful otherwise), so it tends to become a try-and -error thing. Other DVB-S2 cards like TechnoTrend 3200 or TechniSat SkyStar S2 are much more tolerant resp. are able to detect these parameters automatically.

Attached an up-to-date transponder list for Astra 28° East, compiled and tested with my Hauppauge Nova S2...

Astra 28E.ini

Edited by Griga
Wrong attachment replaced
Attached an up-to-date transponder list for Astra 23° East, compiled and tested with my Hauppauge Nova S2...

..no, the list is obsolete ;) up-to-date is this list :)

btw.

It should be

rather than

76=12460,H,29515,34,S2,QPSK

the difference is only marginal. Both values should work ok

Sorry, should be Astra 28° East, not Astra 23° East (corrected above). I was interrupted by a telephone call, tried to do two things at the same time and uploaded the wrong file ;)

It should be

TransEdit can read transponder lists with this syntax, but it isn't sufficient for Hauppauge cards, because it doesn't include the Pilot Symbols parameter. So for owners of Hauppauge cards my transponder lists are the best :)

Thanks very much for these further replies.

I can see more over time that developing such software for many different cards must be a nightmare!

Also I realise I didn't specify I was talking about Astra 28.2 East, so that wasn't very clear from me.

the difference is only marginal. Both values should work ok

However, once I corrected the value, I could then scan the transponder and get channels such as Sky News HD.

It's probably handy that I have the same PCI card as you, Griga. Or maybe you have several!

Derrick, what do you have?

Also Griga, when you say 'your' transponder lists, do you mean the ones included in the downloaded DVBViewer? Or do you upload new ones somewhere?

Lee

Edited by leecovuk

..seems that some cards are even more picky than I thought :( I operate 2 cards. My TeVii s470 is very forgiving concerning incorrect parameters. The other, a firedtv s2, needs exact settings. The symbol rate range to get a lock with this transponder is: 29463 - 29505.

Pilot symbols are of no concern on 28E, but on other positions they are transmitted (e.g. on 19E).

Hello again,

I'm finding the amount of channels differs between Transedit and the DVBViewer channel list.

In case I am misunderstanding or doing something wrong, here is how I tried scanning :

In this example, the DVBViewer channel list is totally empty at the start of all this.

My Transedit settings are:

In 'Scanner 1':

Scan NIT and update transponders while scanning.

Overwrite existing transponder descriptions.

Update channel names in the DVBViewer channel list.

Always scan with auto FEC detection.

In 'Hardware':

DVB-S2 Device is ticked.

In Transedit, I select a satellite (Astra 19.2 East in this example), and on the transponders side of the window I select 'Scan All'.

The scanning starts and seems to complete in full after a few minutes.

In the results window I have Filter 1 and 2 set to 'Both' and all the 'filter 3' options ticked.

The results window says 'Found: 2136'.

I click on 'Name' to sort by name.

'Export settings' are 'Initial letter' and the default root for the satellite. (I didn't choose the root)

I right-click on the scan results and select 'select all'.

I click 'Add/Update'.

I close the results window and Transedit. If Transedit prompts me to save the transponder ini file, I do so.

I go in Windows Vista to C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer, and check the 'date modified' for 'channels.dat' and Transponders/0192.ini. They show the current date and time.

I open DVBViewer and go to Channel List Editor.

Astra 19.2 East shows: 1447

Video: 974

Audio: 473

I'm confused!

Thanks a lot,

Lee

UK

Edited by leecovuk

Transedit count each audio channel, DVBViewer Pro count a TV channel with three audio channels only as one.

Hello Tjod,

(I probably edited my post before you replied, but it might not affect your answer)

Thanks for that. So there is nothing 'wrong' or a 'bug' or channels missing, it's just a difference in how the results are calculated / shown?

Thanks,

Lee

Edited by leecovuk
  • 5 weeks later...

As this is a active tread about channel scanning at the moment and this is the beginners forum area i want to ask a few basic question,

I had behaviour that i did not quite understand.

This is the hardware I try to take in to operations for the free channels from my Cable provider and the freee to air terrestial

I have these cards:

Mystique CaBiX C2 DVB-C

Technotrend Budget C-1500

Hauppauge USB-stick DVB-T

I am moving to the new Recording service beta and the latest DVBViewer Pro 4.5 RC2, both on the same computer.

I am very satisfied with the functionality with just one card for DVB-T and one for DVB-C on a earlier version of DVBViewer.

Now to my questions:

1 - Do I have to do a channel scan on BOTH of the DVB-C cards?

Or do DVBViewer understand that it can use even the second DVB-C card for the same channels?

The reason I ask is that DVBViewer said: no hardware available

when I had allocated the first DVB-C card to the recording service.

that is disbaling the hardware in DVBViewer and enabling it in Recording service.

So far I have only done channel scan on one of the DVB-C cards.

2 If I should scan for channels using both cards, is it the same procedure for 2 cards from the same manufacurer?

3 Do I have to do a channel scan for all 3 of the streaming interfaces if I allocate all the hardware to the recording service,

and only watch TV over the network?

I think these questions are too low tech to have been aswered before :-)

- Best Regards

Bossesand