some channels won't play in VLC

zeflash

Hi,

I want to use VLC to watch TV on mac laptops (pretty much the only solution if I'm not mistaken. A mac client would be oh so much better).

I can see all the available channels using the UPnP browser, but some channels won't play. It's pretty weird actually, data is being received, the first picture is decoded and shown, but that's pretty much it. No sound, no video. If I stop / start playback in VLC again, I get another frame, but it's not moving along.

I'm using the latest recording service beta, the latest stable vlc release (1.1.3). I'm receiving the TV using a floppyDTV DVB-C card with a CAM module, my TV provider is numericable (french).

This only happens on France 3 and France 5 - that I know of. All HD channels are streamed fine, all other SD channels are working also. I'd like to figure out what's going on and how to fix it.

Thanks

Well, I've installed DVBViewer in parallels and it's more usable than VLC - although HD or double framerate deinterlacing just won't cut it.

Again, a Mac version would be nice. EyeTV on the mac doesn't handle DVB-C properly in France. Plenty of mac users without any options there, except doing video capture on the original setup box - ugh :)

Still, I'd like to understand what makes a MPEG2 different so that VLC can't decode it properly. Please satisfy my curiosity ;)