Tuner prioritisation

hamish_

I recently added a dual DVB-S2 device to my existing dual DVB-S device. I assumed that if I set both the S tuners to 'preferred' and the S2 tuners to 'normal' that the service would use the S tuners where possible and use an S2 tuner if the channel was S2 or the S tuners were in use. This seems to be the ideal set-up, not blocking up S2 tuners until neccesary.

Unfortunately is seems like the service simply looks at the priority and disregards the capabilities of the tuners and requirements of the channel. If I request an S2 channel with the setup above, the service attempts to use an S tuner and I get a black screen.

I have correctly flagged each tuner's capabilities. Have I overestimated how it's supposed to work, or could this be a bug?

Thanks.

Of course it does work exactly that way, would be quite stupid to take a -S device for a -S2 channel.

So either you configuration is wrong or your channellist is nicht correct.I could have actually helped you, if you would have followed the instructions on top of this page.

You need to setup your groups in hardware, for example :-

S card - groups A & B

S2 card - group B only

then go through your S2 channels in the channel editor and mark them as Group B

since when? I have a setup with 3 DVB-S2 and 1 dvb-s and there was never a need to set something up. First start with your channellist. clean it up, make sure DVB-S2 channels are marked as such (normally the case except you got your channellist or transponderlist from a dubious source....

Thanks Lars, it looks like the main problem was that the main channel I was testing with was not marked as S2. I hadn't considered that this would be user-configurable, so thanks for the cue. The original details didn't come from a dubious source though... a recent scan I did myself of a single transponder.

Now I've got it closer to working another issue has come up. If I start up DVBViewer on a S channel the service uses a preferred (S) tuner. It continues to use that tuner as I flick though S channels. After your advice, when I change to an S2 channel the service now switches to an S2 tuner. The problem is that if I now flick back to an S channel, the service continues to use the 'Normal' S2 tuner rather than the 'Preferred' S tuner. If I rebuild the graph in DVBViewer (presumably triggering a reconnect to the service) it reverts back to the correct tuner again.

Not a huge problem, but I thought it was worth raising.