Recording in mpg format

HomerDK

Hi.

I'm trying to record in *.MPG output format, but the files are 0 bytes files when recording is ended.

No problems when recording in *.TS.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thx

Edited by HomerDK

Can you upload a TS sample (20 MB or so) to some file hoster? Then I will have a closer look at it. Maybe DVBViewer can't find certain headers or time stamps that are required for MPG recording.

Also try to use TSPlayer (download from the members area) for TS -> MPG conversion. TSPlayer uses the DVBViewer recording engine for re-recording TS files as MPG. If DVBViewer fails, TSPlayer will also fail in the same way. Since the conversion process is reproduceable, it will be easier to pinpoint the problem.

Here not luck either.. ..I've tried to convert the file with tsplayer. Same result-> 0kB

The PCR is missing! According to the PMT video_PID 0x021c should contain the (embedded) pcr. But there's nothing.

Demuxing the ts with pj.x and remuxing the elementary streams creates a perfect mpeg :)

..but the question remains: whole stole the pcr? ;)

From which DVB network (satellite position, cable...) has it been recorded?

It's recorded from DVB-C provider YOUSEE (Denmark).

Had no problems before with older version of DVBViewer.

I haven't been using it for 3-4 months and downloaded today the latest version and installed.

A fresh install would fix the problem or am I just missing some plugins?

A fresh install would fix the problem or am I just missing some plugins?

I'd say, re-install Windows, or even better, buy another PC, or even better, move to another flat or another town... :)

Blind activities are useless and may create even more problems. First we have to find out what's going on. It may be the broadcaster's fault, or a CAM issue... there are some possibilities.

Are all channels affected by this problem? Only one? Only some channels? Are the affected channels encrypted? Try...

Ok.

How come there is no problem to record in TS format?

All channels are affected by the problem. All channels are free channels (not encrypted, no cam).

I deleted all channels and searched them again.

Remember this is the newbies forum.

I know nothing about pcr or pmt :wacko:

As a temporary solution I was able to use VideoRedo to make an mpg files from the ts file.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Good night and thx for now

How come there is no problem to record in TS format?

TS means recording what is broadcasted. The channels are broadcasting TS (Transport Stream). MPG means, the data is unpacked from the TS and re-packed in a Program Stream (PS) container, requiring certain information, e.g. a PCR (Program Clock Reference), which is missing in your sample. The question is: Why is it missing?

Maybe the broadcaster forgot to include it in the TS, or DVBViewer drops the PCR for some reason, before it is processed (that would be a bug). I have tried MPG recording here with DVBViewer Pro 4.5, but no problem so far... special conditions must be involved in your case.

Please install an older DVBViewer Pro version (4.2.1) in a different folder. You can have two DVBViewer installations on your PC. And then try what is does...

TS means recording what is broadcasted. The channels are broadcasting TS (Transport Stream). MPG means, the data is unpacked from the TS and re-packed in a Program Stream (PS) container, requiring certain information, e.g. a PCR (Program Clock Reference), which is missing in your sample. The question is: Why is it missing?

Maybe the broadcaster forgot to include it in the TS, or DVBViewer drops the PCR for some reason, before it is processed (that would be a bug). I have tried MPG recording here with DVBViewer Pro 4.5, but no problem so far... special conditions must be involved in your case.

Please install an older DVBViewer Pro version (4.2.1) in a different folder. You can have two DVBViewer installations on your PC. And then try what is does...

Yesterday I tried to record 10-15 channels and they all had the problem, now I tried to record some more (channels I never use)and found out that not all channels are affected.

So it must be the provider that "forgot" to include the PCR in the stream on some channels, strange. So no need to install older version.

I will ask them why they don't have PCR on some of the channels.

But thx for all the help, at least I got a good explanation of what TS, PCR does ;-)

Edited by HomerDK

I just installed the 4.5 version and the channels that couldn't be recorded in mpg format, now works so they can be recorded in mpg.

So, maybe the provider fixed the problem or the DVBViewer4.3.1.177beta was buggy with my provider ;-)

All works now.

• 2 months later...

#HomerDK

Did you only update the software and nothing else? I'm still having the problem like you have and I'm using the newest version. I'm also using Yousee. Can only record some channels in mpg, the rest is ts, but lags alot. Never had problems with the older versions of DVBViewer.

#HomerDK

Did you only update the software and nothing else? I'm still having the problem like you have and I'm using the newest version. I'm also using Yousee. Can only record some channels in mpg, the rest is ts, but lags alot. Never had problems with the older versions of DVBViewer.

Yes, only updated the software.

Dont use DVBViewer so much, but i tested yesterday and it seems that SD channels are recorded in MPG format, the few HD channels I have are recorded in TS.

Settings are setup to record in MPG. But maybe I missed some setting somewhere.

Thx alot.. Have the same with SD and HD channels. Only the SD will record in mpg. The ts files lag alot the first 5-10 minuttes when playing back. Before I reinstalled windows i used an older DVBViewer and never had this kind of problem.

I'll go through all the settings and see if I can find anything.