4.5 RC1 incorrect characters in EPG

lesliezed

I have invalid characters in EPG, see the two screenshots:

post-86903-049768400 1285529009_thumb.jpg

post-86903-009703900 1285529025_thumb.jpg

Characters are correct in 4.2.1 version, but not in 4.5 RC1 (and they are incorrect in 4.3.x beta versions as well). The problem is with the special hungarian characters with accents (áéőúöüűóíÉÁŐÚŰÖÜÓÍ).

I have two tuners: Avermedia Volar HX (DVB-T) and Technisat Cablestar Combo HD CI (DVB-T and DVB-C). EPG character problem exists only with DVB-C, DVB-T EPG is correct with both tuners. (My cable provider may be using different EPG coding?)

It's not an OSD problem, since EPG text is displayed incorrectly wherever it appears (e.g. in EPG window). Teletext and channel names are ok.

support.zip

First of all, thanks for the answer Lars.

Actually, I have reported this fault earlier as well, but I did not get any answer for it. In summer of 2009 when you asked to report character errors I did not know about it, I realized it only this summer.

How do you mean, that everything is packed up? Does it mean, that no more changes are possible to version 4.5? Isn't it possible then to fix that fault later, in a version after 4.5? I expect the development of DVBViewer won't finish with version 4.5.

I don't know weather you can help me or not, but at all events, below is the info to do the fix.

Thanks in advance!

Hungarian characters to be fixed (what is displayed now = what it should be):

Ŧ = í

Ø = é

Æ = á

ı = ő

œ = ú

ß = ű

ij = ö

þ = ü

ð = ó

♪ = Ő

Û = Ű

¬ = Ö

⅛ = Ü

© = Ó

Characters Í, É, Á, Ú seems to be correct.

Sample ts file:Kabel (QAM 256) 6875MSs 850000 SI-Dump 09-27 23-37-58.rar

• 2 months later...

Dear All!

I have exactly the same problem with my Cable provider. The EPG contains latin-2 or iso-8859-2 encoded text data. Please see the attached SI dump.

You could have helped when noticing it in the beta versions

I totally agree with You. :(

Is there a sollution to force the source character set to latin-2 encoding?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards: Balázs

AntennaDigital VHF 368000 SI-Dump 12-10 02-14-59.rar

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i also have those hungarian character broken, because my provider have a lot of channels with both romanian and hungarian subs and i think that they will mixed or something.

My broken characters:

Laura csillaga Øs a titokzatos sÆrkÆny ( language is hungarian i think), i'm romanian, latin language, do not understand a thing from hungarian, maybe only some names , Atilla , Yanos, nem tudo, or something.

KatonafelesØgek

MestersØgem a hangom - Miller Lajos

Miller Lajos Liszt Ferenc-dŦjas Øs Kossuth-dŦjas operaØnekes neve akÆr ...

HŦradð, Sport, IdıjÆrÆs-jelentØs; Feliratozva a Duna TV Text 444. oldalÆn.

Edited by bogdan1980

in the next version a new tweak:

Value: DVBEPGAsAnsi

Section: EPG

Accepted: 0 (false), 1 (True)

Default 0

Description: Determinates if DVB EPG Parser ignores the language settings in the EIT and converts the text from the local charset to UTF-8. May help if you get strange chars in the EPG.

This does work in the recording service now. May or may not fix the bugs in the EIT stream. Sorry we can't do more. :)