More Trouble with a PCTV Quatro

Mike Graf

Hi!

I just read in this forum about another guy who has had some trouble with his PCTV Quatro stick - only, the one thing that was working for him is what *isn't* working for me: I can't get a DB-C signal.

I have an old Cablstar 2 PCI card that has been working fine for a long time now - but, after installing the BDA drivers provided on PCTV's site and installing the new stick, I'm still not getting any signal at all. For exampole, Transedit Scanner doesn't get any signal.

Can anyone help me figure out the problem? Again, the Cablestar 2 PCI card works fine. I've just updated to the newest version (4.5). My OS is XP sp3.

P.S. I just tried again under TransEdit and got this error message: "Initializing the DVB Devide has failed*

Thanks for any assistance,

Mike

Edited by Mike Graf

Aaaaargh!

Still nothing. I downloaded the latest version of Transedit (3.6), copied them into my DVBViewer directory, downloaded the modified .ini file and copied that into the same directory, overwriting the standard version.

Even so, TransEdit is dead in the water. All I get is dead channels when I try to scan channels under QAM 256 306/6900.

It's simple, really: If I plug into the CableStar 2, I get a signal and can scan just fine. But if I unplug from Cablestar 2 and plug into the PCTV Quatro, I get nothing.

This is really frustrating.

Could somethign else be wrong with my settings? Of could there be some kind of conflict between the two cards? (Althoguh: everything seems to be fine in Device Manager.)

I thinking about taking this stick back and getting Terratec Cinergy H5 instead. Would I get better mileage?

BTW, here is my .ini file.

Or, at least, I THINK it is. This is kind of confusing, actually. I run the program from here:

C:\Program Files\DVBViewer

However, as far as I can tell, the program considers its configuration folder to be this:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer

Since a TransEdit.ini file doesn't appear in the "program files" folder, and since the time stamp on the CMUV folder version matches the pint at which I hit "save setting" in TransEdit, that must be it ...

I've also tried every imaginable combination of setting on the hardware page.

Anyway, again: I'm thinking of bringing this back to the store and trying the Terratec h5 instead. I can't be THIS hard to get the thing to work ...

Oh, never mind. I'm taking it back. This is my last chance to return it for a refund. I'll try a Cinergy Stick - H5, I think.

However: doesn't DVBViewer offer some kind of technical support? I'm not expecting too much hand-holding, but if you pay for the product you kind of expect a little guidance - if only someone who can confirm whether the stick is supported. (Though: seems like other people have got the thing to work, so who knows ... )

if only someone who can confirm whether the stick is supported.

It is supported, and basically it works, as you can read here. But it remains unclear why it doesn't in your case. Maybe due to the cable network... dunno. Unfortunately I can't test it. No cable network here.

These devices have always been a bit problematic (Pinnacle PCTV Quatro 510e, Hauppauge WinTV HVR 930C, TerraTec Cinergy HTC XS HD... all the same stuff). There is at least one user with a HVR 930C who had similar problems and who made it work by using an old driver, requiring a different approach that TrandEdit 3.5.4 tried before I corrected your TransEdit.ini. However, I don't know if this driver is still available for the PCTV Quatro.

However: doesn't DVBViewer offer some kind of technical support?

You are getting technical support here, don't you? And you are getting it directly from a developer, not from some unenthusiastic salaried employee trying to get rid of you with standard text modules. So what do you want more?