Recent problems with BBCHD

Cian

Hi,

I know this is probably not the best place to ask this question, but I have been having problems with BBCHD in the last month and a half and I was wondering if anyone else was having these issues?

From a DVBViewer point of view, I am unable to watch BBCHD without either the software or the PC crashing within a few minutes. I have tried every combination of decoder and render that I can think of. Most just don't work. In the past, I was putting these issues down to having a not so great on-board video card (ATI HD3200) but I upgraded the card to an ATI HD5450 and I am still having no luck.

This applies to both live and recorded programs. In the past, I avoided the problem by streaming everything to the PS3. However, I noticed today that everything that I recorded after the 9th of September will not play on the PS3 and everything recorded before plays without a problem!!

Windows 7 H.264 codec does not play it properly either (I have a dual boot on the machine and have yet to find a good reason to convert!!)

I have included my support.zip in case anyone sees anything obvious there.

I know that this is just the start of the sorting of the problem, but I thought people here might have a good starting point.

Thanks,

C.

So I have made some progress. I have found out why DVBViewer crashes. I was looking at Task Manager and normally DVBViewer uses about 110M to 150M of memory. However, when I go on to BBCHD, the memory usage increases to a maximum and then drops back down to 150M, at which point it starts to increse again, but reaching a higher maximum before resetting back to 150M.

Once it reaches 1.9G, the program exits. ITVHD has stable memory usage, but both BBCHD and the tests for BBCOneHD both do the same, so I lay the blame firmly at the door of the BBC encoder.

So where to now?

Edited by Cian

So I have made some progress. I have found out why DVBViewer crashes. I was looking at Task Manager and normally DVBViewer uses about 110M to 150M of memory. However, when I go on to BBCHD, the memory usage increases to a maximum and then drops back down to 150M, at which point it starts to increse again, but reaching a higher maximum before resetting back to 150M.

Once it reaches 1.9G, the program exits. ITVHD has stable memory usage, but both BBCHD and the tests for BBCOneHD both do the same, so I lay the blame firmly at the door of the BBC encoder.

So where to now?

Have you tried a different Catalyst Driver?

Non-stop for the last two years!!! Four in the last two days :unsure: - All so as to try to view BBCHD. Most of the updates resulted in an immediate BSOD on start-up. That is why I finally upgraded the graphics card.

I sometimes wonder if of the farting around with drivers is the root of my problem but a full uninstall and reg edit clean-up does not help and I am dreading a re-format. Might try new codecs in W7.

Edited by Cian

I sometimes wonder if of the farting around with drivers is the root of my problem

Yes...have you tried uninstalling the drivers using the ATi uninstall utility in the Control Panel, install driver sweeper (before uninstalling the ATi drivers) and then restart and run in safe mode (F8 at startup)? I heard that 10.8 is one of the preferred drivers- 32 bit version here, 64 bit here (Windows 7).

Played around with W7 for the afternoon, and that seems far more difficult than XP! I am now of a mind to bite the bullet and do a complete re-install. The PC is 90% a HTPC and it has one or two other quirks that makes me a bit suspicious.

Of course it will have to wait until tomorrow when NASCAR is finished and get it ready for F1 next weekend :whistle:

I'm running DVBv 4.5 on Windows 7 (64 bit) using an ATI HD3650 with Catalyst 10.10 and am watching and recording BBC HD (via Freesat) as I type, with no problems at all.

I use DivX and PowerDVD 10 codecs and both work fine, although I usually choose PDVD10 as it uses ATI's hardware acceleration.

I don't think I've ever seen DVBv crash so perhaps you have a memory problem or something?

Cheers,

Simon.