LAN traffic crashes Dvbview

Whistler

I have unpleasant problem with Dvbview and my system.

When ever my system has any LAN traffic, it causes cracked/paused audio and pixelation. At worsest it crashes Dvbview.

This happens continously so its not single event problem. Email check or NTP dont cause crash, but even shortest email causes problems, downloading a web page will cause crash. Firefox and IE tested. Skype causes prompt crash.

I have change hardware settings in BIOS, mainly PCI latency timer from 32 up to 128, but that didnt help.

Latest drivers are in use.

MSI P45 NEO3 platinum with latest firmware

Intel E8400 / 4GB of ram

Win XP pro sp3 and all updates

Ati 3450 video card at DVI output

Terratec Cinergy C PCI HD CI

Technisat Technicrypt CX

Could someone be so kind and help me on this? Any help is highly appreciated.

At this very moment, video freezed as well as audio, but subtitles kept changing!

Audio is from mother board chipset. Its realtek chip.

When crash happens, both audio and video halts.

Freeze may last some seconds to several minutes and then may return (or then not). Often whole software just freezes and I need to shut it down. Restart the DVBViewer makes it to work again, but it may freeze again fairly soon.

This is support file after complete crash.

Could someone please help me with this, even I managed to mess up at the beginning with attachment.

Its annoying to restart this software every few minutes.

support.zip

Close DVBViewer, open DVBViewer main program folder and rename "Plugin" folder to "Plugin0" then restart DVBViewer and tell us if it happens again...

Hello Gioxy! Thanks of looking my problem.

I rename Plugins forder and restart dbviewer. For start it was ok, as normal, but after I visit few web pages - had LAN data transfer, DVBViewer crashed.

I have watch one pay-tv channel for last 2 hours and I have had more than 15 crashes.

Heres last support capture

support.zip

Thank you of your kind help for me

To troubleshoot this one you need to ask yourself the right questions, such as:

1. Did the same system work ok before?

2. If so what did I do when the issue first occured?

3. Did I install some other driver, software or hardware near the point of issue first appearing?

4. Have any other people handled this HTPC, beyond my control?

5. Have I inpected all components which may have any connection to the issue. Such as CAM, DVB card (for any bent pins), USB connections, Firewire-connections (bent pins, faulty cables or cables not fully connected) from card to motherboard, LAN connection on motherboard. Surprisingly many issues can be solved by checking cables. Sometimes they are faulty or badly connected or the socket broken.

Well, I do think you get the picture what to do! The actual troubleshooting is now up to you...im sure you will find the cause for it if spending some time trying figure things out.

Good luck!

Edited by majstang

To troubleshoot this one you need to ask yourself the right questions, such as:

1. Did the same system work ok before?

Yes, system been stable and working as well as any windows xp system can.

I had nebula dvb-T card with their software and it was fine, I also had ASUS analog tv card and DScaler for it. It work aswell like a dream. Then systems went over to cable-tv and I had to get this setup what I intent to use now.

2. If so what did I do when the issue first occured?

After installing Cinergy etc. to this system, I note that any LAN traffic cause audio gaps and at larger transfer - like email with image, causes DVBViewer to crash. Crash can last some seconds or vary to full permanent unrecoverable freeze.

3. Did I install some other driver, software or hardware near the point of issue first appearing?

Afterwards I havent install anything extra, its just what this been for a 2 weeks.

4. Have any other people handled this HTPC, beyond my control?

None, I'm the one who uses this puter. This is standard desktop Pc, but I use this as my tv among other activities.

5. Have I inpected all components which may have any connection to the issue. Such as CAM, DVB card (for any bent pins), USB connections, Firewire-connections (bent pins, faulty cables or cables not fully connected) from card to motherboard, LAN connection on motherboard. Surprisingly many issues can be solved by checking cables. Sometimes they are faulty or badly connected or the connector broken.

All mechanical things been checked, PCI slot been changed, location to other cards been changed. Crashing didnt change.

Only thing I havent done is to change PCI LAN card, as this LAN is from motherboard.

DVB-C card and conax module was from operational system, wich didnt have glitches.

Well, I do think you get the picture what to do! The actual troubleshooting is now up to you...im sure you will find the cause for it if spending some time trying figure things out.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I have done all I can imagine, except changing the LAN card. Thats why my help request, as I cant find my way anymore. I'm just spinning in a loop, wich isnt taking me anywhere.

While I was doing this reply, in the middle dvbview freezed. It was freezed over 5 minutes. So I took another support file set to ben seen, if anything usable might pop up.

Thank you guys of giving helping hand for me.

support.zip

Well, if you feel you have done everything you can come up with and the issue still is not fixed, there is of course the final option...format and reinstall WinXP. Sounds to me there is a pretty bad driverconflict going on. The fact you had other hardware installed earlier adds to that theory. But before doin that, please remove and reinstall your network card driver and try using an another network cable if you have one.

Apparently I need to buy LAN card to check that possibility. I'm running out of PCI slots tho.

Format.... UH...

I had to build all up at summer time, so I rather not to do that again. It takes abt a month to get everything done and running again. Backing up 1TB disk, isnt really practical, neither easy.

I forgot to mention, that I have run diagnostic tests with "Pc-Check" for hardware, wich was passed at all sections.

This setup is now 2 years old and been reliable and stable. Even now, I can watch DVD movies without any problems.

Clearly something isnt right with cinergy and dvbview combination. Just whatta heck it is???? Very likely something enbarrasing and stupid, easy to fix - but so darn hard to find.

Thanks again of your suggestions majstang! I hope others could be kind and tell other ideas as well.

Apparently I need to buy LAN card to check that possibility.

Why? You said it was a built-in-motherboard networkcard. That card are then controlled by a driver which should be removable. It would be intresting to see if reinstalling same or a newer driver would make any difference.

I thought I should buy another separate card to see if its some resource within that onboard LAN.

Your suggestion to check and change present LAN driver is excellent advice! Thanks!

That didnt come to my mind. I'l see what happens!

Thanks a bunch!

Unfortunately driver uninstall and install didnt do any change.

I tried previous driver, but it was just the same gapping and halting.

I went thru bunch of driver settings, but nothing help the symptoms.

I need to figure out something else.

Good ideas and suggestions are more than welcome! With thanks

I bought today a new LAN card to PCI-e slot. Card is made by tp-link, wich uses realtek chip.

All LAN related problems are still excisting.

Help and suggestions are desperately needed.

It's really difficult to guess, but you can try this step in this order and check DVBViewer at every step after a PC restart:

1) update MoBo chipset driver

2) reinstall FFDshow (even if you don't use it!), as your support.zip say: ffdshow Video Decoder: FF800001 (File is missing)...

3) reinstal Ac3Filter (also missing...) and use it as audio decoder!...

4) update DirectX 9c (download End-User Runtimes (June 2010) here)

...and - last but not least -: please explain this line from your support.zip:

DVBSource Path: X:\Cable\Filters\PushSource.ax

...why the hell you put DVBViewer main filter in drive X:???

It's perhaps a network/usb connected drive??? :wacko:

...hope something of this step finally helps...

:bye:

It's really difficult to guess, but you can try this step in this order and check DVBViewer at every step after a PC restart:

1) update MoBo chipset driver

2) reinstall FFDshow (even if you don't use it!), as your support.zip say: ffdshow Video Decoder: FF800001 (File is missing)...

3) reinstal Ac3Filter (also missing...) and use it as audio decoder!...

4) update DirectX 9c (download End-User Runtimes (June 2010) here)

...and - last but not least -: please explain this line from your support.zip:

DVBSource Path: X:\Cable\Filters\PushSource.ax

...why the hell you put DVBViewer main filter in drive X:???

It's perhaps a network/usb connected drive??? :wacko:

...hope something of this step finally helps...

Done what you ask to do. No change at any part in installations.

When I start trying to find reason for the problems, I went thru all my drivers etc. All was new'est available, except DirectX.

My system was operable with Nebula pci-card (dvb-t) and Asus analog card. But systems went to cable I had to change my system for it. I used nebula own client and for analog reception I used DScaler.

I have 4 physical drives and 12 partitions in my puter. Partition X is 100GB partition of 1TB disk (W,X,Y and Z partitions). Just dedicated for video etc usage.

Folder X:\cable\ is for terratec card and its related softwares like Dvbview and recordings.

I sure hope someone of you more experienced guys could figure out something I cant see.

Heres last support file.

support.zip

Sorry I'm so difficult..... I am not usually this stupid, but when I am stupid, I really am stupid! ( ask from my ex.. )

Sorry I replied this late, I managed to miss the notification email... see above :)

Thank you Gioxy, of your kind help for me.

PS.

I got IRQ diagnostic tool, which shows that IRQ latency is low and good for DVBViewer kind of application. Max latency at present bios settings seems to be 1516 uS. That rises that high when I use browser. At standby time is between 56uS and 600uS.

I need to experiment more with bios settings and this DPC latency checker software.

I'm afraid this seems to be hardware problem, than software problem.

I keep posting in here to see any other ideas and if miracle happens, I tell what was the problem.

Thank you very much of your kind help for me.

I'm afraid this seems to be hardware problem, than software problem.

To dig a little more about that:

1) IMO is way better to always use "original"/standard PCI latency timer values unless you know exactly what you are doing with your single bit of HW...

2) try play a video recorded file in DVBViewer (ie to exclude the use of your cable card) and see what happen then: if DVBViewer works fine then is the use of the cable card that cause the prob (go to point 3); if the problem is the same then more probably the video card is the culprit (goto point 4)...

3) maybe the cable card and the lan chip use the same IRQ: try to change cable card slot...

4) try also older drivers: in this forum there are many post about faulty newest ATI driver...

...let us know...

Hello again. Took a while to get things proceed.

After intense testing and system changes I think I find the problem in my system. :o

As I thought earlier, as I said it prolly is something ridiculous and enbarrasing as I could not find understandable reason for this problem of mine.

Problem seems to be at my firewall - zonealarm.

I havent find the reason for gasping and freezing, but after todays experiments without firewall, it seems to be the main problem. If I manage to have web browser traffic with NTP data at same time, it gaps or freezes DVBViewer when firewall is active. Without firewall, all works ( so far ) smoothly.

I will return to tell more of this finding and was it really so stupid thing. If I find settings for zonealarm, I will tell of that too.

Thank you Gioxy, of your kind comments and suggestions

Problem seems to be at my firewall - zonealarm
Wow! ...ZA has become that pervasive? (I abandoned it many years ago for similar reasons, W98Se era... :P)

...but I'm glad that you are solving your PC prob, you're welcome...

Try using Kaspersky as your firewall, or Outpost( they release an free internet security version few days ago), these one does not block dvbserver acces.

Hello again.

After these days with my experiments, I have to say, it was zonealarm what caused my freezes and gasps.

At combination of web traffic with few applications simultaneously caused that problem of mine.

I suspect it was something stupid and idiotic, as I could not find the reason in the beginning.

It was a bit surprising to find zonealarm to be guilty one, as processor load was few percent and all other softwares I have runs fine.

I have activated my adsl modem firewall among windows xp firewall ( scary )...... :lol:

Hopefully that creates at least minimum safety.

Thank you Gioxy of your kind comments and suggestions, thank you to bogdan of the ideas.

I wish Merry Christmas to you guys - as it seems I got my xmas present a bit early ;)

With thanks, Yours truly

• 11 months later...

I've been using ZoneAlarm's free firewall in conjuction with RS for several years now without any problems, until last week when I updated to their new 2012 version. This made it impossible to watch live TV as the picture would freeze and break up constantly. However, watch the same show as a recording, even live, and no such problem. For now I've switched off ZoneAlarm but ultimately I'll revert to the 2011 version or try the Kaspersky one. Clearly Check Point have 'improved' it, in the Bill Bryson sense of the word.