compatibility with Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T-HD

I use DVBViewer pro from 2 years with Skystar 2, for satellite transmission.

Recentelly in my region is arrived terrestrial digital television, HD also (Rai HD, Canale5 HD and Italia1 HD)

So I want Improve My pc with a DVB T HD receiver, for enjoy new HD chanels.

I can find easy in my city Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T-HD USB pen decoder. I've check the hardware compatibility list and I see that DVB run with Hauppauge product but not with this.

So the doub is:

1) the Hardware list is not updated

2) the hardware is not supported.

In the second case can somebody suggest an hardware for my PC.

For me is important have a good imagin quality !

thank you.

Ilario.

Recentelly in my region is arrived terrestrial digital television, HD also

DVB-T or the new DVB-T2 standard? Something like Europa 7 HD?

I've check the hardware compatibility list and I see that DVB run with Hauppauge product but not with this.

DVBViewer runs with almost all DVB-T devices (BDA driver provided). It isn't worth enumerating them all. However, up to now there is only one known device that supports DVB-T2 (PCTV nanostick T2 290e). It has already been tested sucessfully with DVBViewer. So check carefully which kind of hardware is required for watching HD in your region. AFAIK the WinTV NOVA-T-HD USB is not able to receive DVB-T2. It looks exactly like the Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T that my daughter is using on her laptop (running flawlessly with DVBViewer). Just a normal DVB-T USB stick. "HD" most likely means that the included software is able to decode H.264 HD video, nothing more. It doesn't say anything about the hardware.

For me is important have a good imagin quality !

It depends on the video decoder and your graphics card, not on the DVB hardware.

DVB-T or the new DVB-T2 standard? Something like Europa 7 HD?

Argggg! :pc: Why the life is so complicated ?!?

I can watch RAI HD on my samsung 32" C5700 that it have DVB-T decoder only, but now I'm not sure! Samsung declare : Digitaler Fernsehempfang (DVB) DVB-T/C/S2 (MPEG4/HD)

In the pctv catalogue I've find also pctv nano stick 73esimilar to Hauppauge.

In italy now is not aviable the pctv 290e. probably it will aviable soon. you think that for me is better if I wait the 290e version?

Ilario

Edited by ango
I can watch RAI HD on my samsung 32" C5700 that it have DVB-T decoder only

... so I guess HD is still broadcasted via DVB-T, but you have to find out - you are living there! Ask your local dealer, who is selling the Hauppauge stick. He should know.

In future broadcasters will preferably use DVB-T2 for HDTV, because it enables a higher data rate.

... so I guess HD is still broadcasted via DVB-T, but you have to find out - you are living there! Ask your local dealer, who is selling the Hauppauge stick. He should know.

In future broadcasters will preferably use DVB-T2 for HDTV, because it enables a higher data rate.

Thank you Griga!

So just for my understanding.

the difference beetwin the Usb reciver from SD and HD version is not in hardware but only in the software?

Because in this case I can buy a SD cheaper one (pctv or Hauppauge) like This and use DVBViewer for watch HD Tv (also the SD off course).

Is correct?

Ilario

the difference beetwin the Usb reciver from SD and HD version is not in hardware but only in the software?

In case of the Nova-T stick yes.

The HD version may be useful for you, because chances are that DVBViewer can use the H.264 video decoder that is installed with the Hauppauge software. DVBViewer does not contain such a decoder (thus saving licence fees), so you will need one anyway. There are free H.264 decoders (ffdshow, DivX), but you will probably get better results with a commercial one (like Cyberlink / PowerDVD).