RS Client on separate PC

PerryM

OK - I admit to being an old fart who struggles to keep up with the necessary technology! The video stuff is fine - it is the networking that is a big mystery to me!

I have everything working fine with RS Service on host (Vista) computer, receiving Freesat in UK. I have been using a Popcorn Hour type network client and I want to replace it with a new PC I have just built using Win7 64bit. I have been reading all the Wikis etc but I am no wiser as to EXACTLY what I have to install on the client PC. Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

OK - I admit to being an old fart who struggles to keep up with the necessary technology! The video stuff is fine - it is the networking that is a big mystery to me!

I have everything working fine with RS Service on host (Vista) computer, receiving Freesat in UK. I have been using a Popcorn Hour type network client and I want to replace it with a new PC I have just built using Win7 64bit. I have been reading all the Wikis etc but I am no wiser as to EXACTLY what I have to install on the client PC. Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

On the client PC you just need to install DVBViewer.

OK - next stupid question!!

I have DVBViewer installed on the client PC, I can see the host PC on the network and I can play recordings from it using VLC Player. I was expecting to get a DVBServer type control panel like I get on the Popcorn Hour, so that I can see live TV and control the channels. Where do I go next to get this?

Thanks for your understanding.

OK - next stupid question!!

I have DVBViewer installed on the client PC, I can see the host PC on the network and I can play recordings from it using VLC Player. I was expecting to get a DVBServer type control panel like I get on the Popcorn Hour, so that I can see live TV and control the channels. Where do I go next to get this?

Thanks for your understanding.

I'm not familiar with Popcorn Hour, but channel control and live tv gets done with DVBViewer. You must setup the unicast device in DVBViewer/options/hardware to get RS and DVBViewer talking according to this guide:

http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Recording_Service_Installation_Guide

Lars - please read your signature quote!

I have read the said guide but I am still unenlightened. Let us get it down to a simple question:

Exactly where on the slave PC do I access DBVServer?

you can not have possibly read the guide and NOT understood a thing. READ the first few Sentences. "Overview: To install and set-up the Recording service to correctly work with DVBViewer. to specify: For installing and configuring the Recording service as recordingmachine and DVBServer in connection with the DVBViewer Pro as Client"

Exactly where on the slave PC do I access DBVServer?

Read the part "Setting up DVBViewer" in the guide and do exactly as it says in "Create Unicast Devices". That is the step you are asking for.

I'm sorry guys - we are talking at complete cross purposes!

I want a simplistic client to work on my slave PC in the same way as I get DVBServer on my Popcorn Hour. I simply select DVBServer from the Media network and I get a very simple menu with the Channel selector as the top button. I need something my wife can work!

DVBViewer with a Remote is like up/down for channel switching and left/right for volume. Thats not easy?

You can also use any UPNP client like XBMC. But that is not in any way simpler or easier than DVBViewer. When set up, DVBViewer works like a STB.

• 3 weeks later...

OK - back after the holiday for another go!

Let me take this one step at a time. I've gone through the RS set up line by line. I've disabled the two sat tuners in DVBViewer and added two Unicast Network devices that I've tuned. RS seems to be working fine but I've now lost any ability to see the channels in DBViewer. Do I need a separate DBViewer to use as the local client? If I enable RS support and enter the Web Server log details then I get the correct response.

My PopcornHour type device is working OK and seeing the networked TV channels.

My new networked HTPC cannot see the Web server with its copy of DBViewer. The Web Server test comes up 'Fail'. The network explorer in Windows sees 'DVBViewer Media Server' under Media Servers and I can access this. I've tried XBMC and I appear to be able to get all my TV channels although unlike the PopcornHour they do not reflect the edited Channel List in DVBViewer.

The remote DVBViewer client has the two Unicast devices in its Hardware list but I don't get anything in the Channel List. Do I need to do a 'Channel Tune' on the client or do I copy something over from the master?

I am now totally bemused by the whole setup!! It may seem pretty obvious to you experts but let me assure you that it ain't to us mere mortals!

Let me take this one step at a time. I've gone through the RS set up line by line. I've disabled the two sat tuners in DVBViewer and added two Unicast Network devices that I've tuned. RS seems to be working fine but I've now lost any ability to see the channels in DBViewer. Do I need a separate DBViewer to use as the local client? If I enable RS support and enter the Web Server log details then I get the correct response.

It is quite hard to keep up what you have done really in the steps you do descibe. Yes you do need to install the DVBViewer client on the Client-PC as well.

First try to get streaming to the DVBViewer client on the Server-PC (the one installed on your Server-PC where RS is installed) working. On this DVBViewer client you should already have a channelist, if you scanned it with the old setup (without RS and unicast devices). Bring up Options/hardware in the client and make sure your unicast devices is NOT set to "Do not use" in the "State" box. Then press on the "Settings" button and check in the Autodiscovery Serverlist box if your server is present. If not press the "Discover" button. If no server is shown let us know. Then close options and exit DVBViewer and then restart the app. Select a channel and see if you'll get a graph running. If so repeat the Unicast setup in the DVBViewer client on the client-PC as well.

The remote DVBViewer client has the two Unicast devices in its Hardware list but I don't get anything in the Channel List. Do I need to do a 'Channel Tune' on the client or do I copy something over from the master?

A fast and quick way is to bring up the Hardware tab in DVBViewer client on Server-PC and click the "Show Configuration folder" link. Then copy the channels.dat into the same folder on your client PC. Then you don't have to rescan all your channels onto the DVBViewer Client on client-PC.

Edited by majstang

Thanks for this guys - posting this from work so just a quick follow up to majstang. Yes I have a copy of DVBViewer running on the client PC. But first - let me try and get my head round seeing live TV on the server PC. This was working until I disabled the tuners as per the RS set-up instructions.

So on the server HTPC I've got my 'master' copy of DVBViewer with RS. When you say 'DVBViewer client' on this PC, is this another copy of the programme or the same one? (it is difficult for me to see how it can be both server and client!)

I'll check the Firewall again - clearly it is not an issue with XBMC.

"DVBViewer client" is the DVBViewer software. The "server" is the RS.

XBMC uses upnp so this would not be the same as the DVBViewer to RS protocol considering the firewall settings.

Thanks for this guys - posting this from work so just a quick follow up to majstang. Yes I have a copy of DVBViewer running on the client PC. But first - let me try and get my head round seeing live TV on the server PC. This was working until I disabled the tuners as per the RS set-up instructions.

Yes, because then the DVBViewer application handled the tuners alone before. Now you shift that handeling to RS and the only way to get DVBViewer clients to talk with RS (who owns the tuners) is through the unicast devices. RS is a server and streams the content back to the DVBViewer clients. Therefor you must have one DVBViewer client installed on each client-PC in your network and if you wish also one DVBViewer client on the Server-PC. Hope it is more clear now.

So on the server HTPC I've got my 'master' copy of DVBViewer with RS. When you say 'DVBViewer client' on this PC, is this another copy of the programme or the same one? (it is difficult for me to see how it can be both server and client!)

The same one! Yes, this may seem to be confusing, but that is the case. Without complicating things and going into the details, it can be both server and client. RS is the server and DVBViewer app is the client.

Edited by majstang

OK - now I am REALLY confused! I originally had my two tuners enabled in DVBViewer and the local 'screen' worked fine by simply selecting a required channel in the Channel List (SD or HD). I thus obviously have all the right codecs etc. I then disabled the two tuners, and created the two Unicast Network devices. I deleted the original tuning list and retuned using the Unicast devices and they created the appropriate channel list (which I've edited). This list is clearly providing the channels to the server (and being seen on the client PC via XBMC) but it is not being seen on the server PC 'client'.

Now this is all rather illogical to me and I have this horrible feeling that I am missing something SO obvious that you guys don't think to suggest it to me!

A channelscan and streaming media from server to a client isn't the same thing. If I remember it right a channelscan can be done in DVBViewer even if RS has the control of the tuners. Yes, RS reads the channels.dat file and in that way you can see the channellist in the webinterface. Why you can't see it in DVBViewer I don't know. Rightclick DVBViewer and click channellist. Do you see it?

Also, you don't have to delete any old channellist just because you change from original tuners to unicast devices in DVBViewer. The old channellist should have worked perfect. It is probably here everything went wrong for you, cuz you didn't follow the RS Intallation Guide.

Unfortunately the RS Installation Guide doesn't specifically mention these matters!

To emphasise - I CAN see the channellist in the DVBViewer interface, but when I select a channel I see the information change on the bottom of the 'TV screen' but I don't get any pictures or audio. I did start with leaving the original tuning but when I didn't see any pictures/audio I retuned as stated.

Clearly I've got to get the client working on the server PC, because if I can't get THAT working then I've got NO hope with that on the client PC!

As I said - I'm posting this from work (afternoons and evenings) so I'll report back tomorrow.

Just to say that I am about a 1000% better informed after these conversations - thanks for putting up with my slow dawnings!

I'm back at my home computer and cooking!

Occasionally this computer goes to sleep with a blue screen, and the only cure I've found is to do a full reboot including removing the mains for a few seconds. I've always suspected Vista but maybe it's a hardware thing. Anyways - did the full reboot and hey presto I suddenly have pictures and sound in my 'client'. I'd done many reboots since setting up RS (due to fine tuning of network set-up) but something in there has changed!

Will now try to get the client set up on the slave PC with a lot more confidence.

remote client up and running! A few minor glitches (no AC3) but I'm sure we can sort that. The RS Web Server test in the remote client options is still failing even with all the Firewalls disabled. The options page is otherwise identical to that in the local client where the test works.

I think that is enough success for one day - thanks again for your patience

A last query before I leave you all in peace!

Any recommendations as to an appropriate remote control for the DVBViewer client? It obviously needs basic mouse functions which my standard WMC remote doesn't have. I found one on E-bay which seems suitable with a rollerball but the Post Office have lost it and it has been discontinued!

Edited by PerryM

Any recommendations as to an appropriate remote control for the DVBViewer client? It obviously needs basic mouse functions which my standard WMC remote doesn't have. I found one on E-bay which seems suitable with a rollerball but the Post Office have lost it and it has been discontinued!

For example an iMON Inside and iMON PAD, then you can power on HTPC with remote, even from S5.

• 2 months later...

I am quite fond of the gyration go 2.4 air mouse, but i also use it for regular pc functions