Using 2 DVB-S2 tuners at the same time

The Phoenix

HI guys,

Just a quick thing. I'm having some trouble finding a good DVB-S2 (HD) dual tuner to allow me to record one channel while watching another. My question is this, am I able to install two single DVB-S2 tuners, link one cable from the dishs LNB to each tuner and have DVBViewer still pick up one single??

thank you

phoenix

Hi,

Yea, the tuners are going to be getting their signals from old sky dishes which were connected to a sky+ box, meaning that the double LNB and double cable is already in place coming into the property. hows that sound?? hehe. so because im using DVB-S2 tuners, does it matter if I use tuners which connect via USB ports. I do not want to comprimce the HD signal being displayed properly.

thnak you

• 1 month later...

I use a pair of identical PCI card DVB-S2 tuners.

The USB 2.0 bus will handle maybe an entire transponder. But USB satellite cards need their own PSU (due to power needed for LNBs) and I have only ever seen Hauppauge brand. I'd use USB for DTT as no power is needed except for chips (dual Tuner DVB-T in one USB stick exist under 30 euro). But for satellite best to use PCI or PCIe cards.

A Quad LNB on a single dish is best value to feed two satcards. You'd only use two dishes if you wanted different satellites, then a pair of Diseqc switches or a Multiswitch is better as then either card can use either satellite.

I have 4 x LNBs feeding 16 way multiswitch. Two outlets feed the two PCI DVB-S2 cards (old Technotrend S3200 cards).