5.1 problems and Codec Display Question

Cian

Hi All,

I have a simple question, and then I will explain my situation in case anyone has had similar problems and has a handy quick fix.

I remember reading somewhere in the forums that there is a program that does a graphical representation of audio and video codecs. Can someone remind me of the name please and where I can get it?

My problem is one that I have overcome before and is a usual question - I am not getting 5.1 out of my HDMI into my amp. This is not an issue with DVBViewer, but the collective wisdom here is great so plese forgive me for posting here.

Because of poor graphics performance, I did a complete reinstal about two months ago to streamline the system. I have also added a new graphics card. Before I did all this I was getting 5.1 out of the system, and now I am not - I only get stereo LPCM Stereo.

In the Realtek HDAudio manager, I have slected the "Output Digital audio source" on the HDMI section of the Audio I/O tab.

In DVBViewer, most of the codecs will not allow me to choose the SPDIF option because the tab is blanked out (see below). One codec (PowerDVD 7 uPnP) does allow me to change it, but will reset to stereo straight away.

In PowerDVD 7, I can select SPDIF, but it again will scale everything down to stereo. As you can see the DTS mixing is not selected - not a good thing.

AC3Filter has no effect either, and was not on the previous install of the system so is not necessary.

This is particularly annoying because the ATI HD5450 graphics card is supposed to be able to pass HD audio through the HDMI, and all I get is stereo.

This all points to the audio driver. I have used the ATI HDMI audio driver, the Realtek HDMI 2.52 (the one for the motherboard) and the current 2.55 version. I have also been up and down on graphics drivers catalyst 10.12 and 10.10.

So, in summary, if this rings any bells for people let me know, and if someone could let me know the name of the graphic codec representer, that would be great.

Happy New Year,

Cian.

post-65222-0-75625100-1293792499_thumb.jpg

post-65222-0-59370100-1293793111_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi, from Sweden .

I have the same graphcard as you, and problems with sound Dolby Digital/AC3 5.1 .

But when you say that the card can send sound to via HDMI so i wonder if there problems for me are that i take sound out from both spdf and HDMI to my reciver.

What is the best solution take it via spdf or HDMI ?

HTPC:

Veris MicroFusion 350

Intel core duo E8400 3,6 GHz

4Gb ram

Win 7 pro 64 bit

ATi Radeon HD5450 1GB DDR3 hdmi

Realtek High Definiton Audio optic

TBS 6920 DVB-S/S2

Cinergy T-stick Turner

ACE agesta docking station SATA

Logitech Harmony one remotcontrol

Panasonic TH-37PX80E plasma 100 Hz

Onkyo AV Recieiver TX-SR608

Dali 18 frontspeaker

Proson satelliter+subb

Thank you

Hi, from Sweden .

I have the same graphcard as you, and problems with sound Dolby Digital/AC3 5.1 .

But when you say that the card can send sound to via HDMI so i wonder if there problems for me are that i take sound out from both spdf and HDMI to my reciver.

What is the best solution take it via spdf or HDMI ?

Hi Blackray,

I would always use the HDMI for audio - The SPDIF can only give you standard 5.1 Dolby/DTS, whereas with HDMI you can output the full HD audio direct to the amp for decoding there. This is more for movie playback using PowerDVD etc that DVBViewer itself.

I did find a solution to my problem. The first thing I did was to upgrade from XP-32 to 7-64. As far as I could tell, the HD audio could only be used in Windows 7, not in XP.

The soloution, rather embarrassingly, turned out to be the amp :blush: What's worse, it was my own fault. At some stage, I (or more likely one of my kids) told the amp to downscale everything to 2.0 :oops:

I am in work at the moment, so the following advice is from memory.

First, check that the ATI card knows what sound formats the amp can handle. One of the audio control panel settings allows you to select which audio formats are sent directly to the amp without decoding.

Second, in DVBViewer, which audio codec are you using? Make sure that the output selected is SPDIF.

Let me know how you get on,

Cian.

Edited by Cian

Hi Blackray,

I would always use the HDMI for audio - The SPDIF can only give you standard 5.1 Dolby/DTS, whereas with HDMI you can output the full HD audio direct to the amp for decoding there. This is more for movie playback using PowerDVD etc that DVBViewer itself.

I did find a solution to my problem. The first thing I did was to upgrade from XP-32 to 7-64. As far as I could tell, the HD audio could only be used in Windows 7, not in XP.

The soloution, rather embarrassingly, turned out to be the amp :blush: What's worse, it was my own fault. At some stage, I (or more likely one of my kids) told the amp to downscale everything to 2.0 :oops:

I am in work at the moment, so the following advice is from memory.

First, check that the ATI card knows what sound formats the amp can handle. One of the audio control panel settings allows you to select which audio formats are sent directly to the amp without decoding.

Second, in DVBViewer, which audio codec are you using? Make sure that the output selected is SPDIF.

Let me know how you get on,

Cian.

Are you sure that i should use spdif in DVB ?

Should i not have a optic-cable betven the htpc and reciwer then ?

<_<

Audio control in ati card config ?

You meen in the soundcard . :huh:

Your graphics card is also your sound card when you use the HDMI for your audio. The audio settings in DVBViewer sees the HDMI audio as an SPDIF connection.

I have completely disabled all other sound devices except for the one in the ATI card.You can have other devices connected if you want, and just have DVBViewer use the HDMI.

TO see the card properties, first make sure that you have the ATI audio driver installed. Then in the sound control panel, double-click the AMD HDMI output. The second tab in is the "Supported formats" tab. This should show you the formats that the amp can decode.

It will be worth it!!

Edited by Cian