New installation -> black screen

CARMAD

Hi

I have the awfull feeling that I have missed something very simple, but I've now given up trying to figure out what is going on.

I have used my Terratec H7 to watch my DVB-C channels for a while on Windows XP without any problems at all.

Now I've invested in a new HTPC-like computer to have a nice and quiet computer for watching and recording TV in the living room. But I can't seem to get DVBViewer to show me the channels - all I get is a black screen and no sound.

I've tried on both Windows 7 Ultimate and on a new Windows XP installation. I've tried with DVBViewer version 4.2.1 (which works perfectly on the old computer) and with the latest 4.5.0.0 version.

I've tried with several different versions of the Terratec H7 drivers, including the one that is working on the old PC.

I am 99% sure the box itself works, as I've regularly plugged it back into the old PC and watched TV on that without any problems.

Do anyone have any suggestions what I might be doing wrong? My own feeling is that it might be a codec/filter issue but as far as I have been able to read, codecs shouldn't really be a problem on windows 7 and I have loads installed on the XP system.

Any suggestions are very welcome, and sorry if I missed something (that should have been) obvious, but I getting desperate here!

Cheers,

Mads

Hardware:

ASUS p7A55-M pro motherboard

Intel i3 550 CPU

Gigabyte Nvidia 8400 GS, 512 mb GFX

Terratec H7 DVB-T/DVB-C Tuner

support.zip

I forgot to mention explicit:

A channel-scan in either DVBViewer or TransEdit does not find any channels, but if I load the channel list from my other PC, I get a signal strenght of 98% for all channels.

I have cable (Yousee in Denmark), and I know the frequencies, modulation (QAM64) and the symbolrate (6875) but I don't find any channels... My TV requires a network ID (151) to find the channels (on the build-in DVB-C tuner), but I don't see where to input this.

Try other decoders, your are using such GPL MPEG-1/2 Decoder of 2004year on windows 7 ? Try to use Windows 7 own decoder. For H.264 DivX H.264 Decoder is bad too.

I've tried lots of combinations for the decoders, but it doesn't make a difference. Is there a codec-pack or something I can download and install that contains some decoders that work for sure?

I can try in either win7 or XP.

Thanks!

Thanks Tomas, but it doesn't seemt to make a difference.

I guess that if it was only an issue with the filters, both DVBViewer and TransEdit should still find the channels when I'm scanning. And they don't, even if I feed it with a list of frequencies where I know the channels are supposed to be.

When I tuned my TV (which has a DVC-C tuner), I had to provided a network-id, but I don't see where or how to tell DVBViewer this? Could that be a reason?

It seems to more or less work now -at least on my win7 laptop. A combination of:

- the setting you suggested,

- the newest driver,

- windows 7 (it doesn't work on XP),

- running DVBViewer as Administrator (not required I think)

- Choosing Cyberlink filters

seems to make it DVBViewer capable of finding and showing the channels!

On the media center PC, this only works for a few seconds though. After this, the video dies and I just get a black screen (and DVBViewer is no longer capable of finding new channels.)

unplugging and reconnecting the USB-box makes it work again for about 10 sec.

But at least I am getting a bit of video now which should rule out some potential sources of problems.