Can I use a DVB-T & DVB-S receiver at the same time?

smilingcrow

I’m currently using DVBViewer with a USB twin tuner DVB-T receiver and if I add a USB DVB-S receiver to my system can I use both receivers simultaneously? I.e. record from DVB-T and DVB-S simultaneously.

I’m in the UK so want to access FreeSat channels via the DVB-S tuner which begs the question does the EPG work with Freesat?

Assuming I can use both devices how does the EPG function when both tuners are utilising different programmes guides?

Hi ...yes I have a USB Freeview and a DVB-S tuner. To use both I use multiple instances of DVBViewer. I Have also another instance of DVBViewer just to view recorded stuff and leave the other 2 tuned in if needed.

There used to be some specific intructions somewhere in the forum but if you ask sysop I'm sure you will get an answer.

Frank

can I use both receivers simultaneously? I.e. record from DVB-T and DVB-S simultaneously.

It's unnecessary (and a waste of resources) to use multiple instances, except for special purpose. A single DVBViewer instance can handle it all.

It's unnecessary (and a waste of resources) to use multiple instances, except for special purpose. A single DVBViewer instance can handle it all.

Thanks. I’m wondering how it handles the multiple sources in the EPG!

I did a bit of research and it seems as if FreeSat is supported; do I need a plugin for that? I'm using 4.2.1.0 for now.

Thanks. Im wondering how it handles the multiple sources in the EPG!

I did a bit of research and it seems as if FreeSat is supported; do I need a plugin for that? I'm using 4.2.1.0 for now.

Well, to use multiple receivers then you have to add each receiver to a group A, B, C etc.

Scan with each receiver and the corresponding group for the channels.

You will find all channel then under one large list.

Then browse this list and add those channel that you want to view in the favorites list.

To keep a shorter favorites list, use folders within the favorites list.

I have 3 receivers at this moment that receive all the same (dvb-s/2)but that means that I can record for instance 2 programs and view to one all at the same time. Even more within the FTA and same transponder.

Favorits has 4 folders: german/French/Englisch/TV Vlaanderen.

The last one is the local sat provider , all other channels are divide for each language.

I would like multi treading support but that depends on the software decoder.

EPG raleted: depends on how the epg is received. In my case, If i switch from for instance german to french then it can be that EPG is not received , as soon when I tune into a channel there, EPG is received for all channel in the group^(FTA for example) EPG is always updated if I wait a minute or so.

Edited by Benarty
Well, to use multiple receivers then you have to add each receiver to a group A, B, C etc.

That's wrong. Usually you don't have to. Channel groups are only required for special purpose, e.g. for two DVB-S tuners connected to different dishes, one pointing to Astra, the other one to Hotbird. In this case you have to tell DVBViewer by setting up channel groups which tuner is able to receive which channels.

However, in case of a DVB-T and DVB-S tuner, or two tuners receiving the same DVB network(s), channel groups are absolutely needless.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2x Tecnotrend S3200 DVB-S2 cards (very early models) and a USB dual DTT stick I have the 2 x USB tuners in a different group. The Sat cards connect to a 16 way multiswitch with 28.2E (must be port 1 AA for Sky boxes to work on it), 19E, port2, 13E port3 and 9EKu on port 4 (later will be 9E Ka, maybe in June).

All works fine after I got over B/A and A/B versus port2 and port3 confusion. Also tried an early model S1400 but the Diseqc on it is unreliable.

CoreAVC with cuda on and Asus EN201 (nVidia GT210) to manage all the Irish TV (all MHEG4, even SD)and satellite HD. ATI X1600 couldn't manage the HD.

All I need for perfection is MHEG5.

It's over 8m away from the HDTV in a shed outside the house so no fan/HDD drive noise in living room!

Edited by mobiwan