Empty Recordings

eustonstreet

Hi, I have 2 Compro S350 tuners in my Win 7 64 box. Am using Recording Service 1.6.9.0 Beta. If I set up two timers for different channels but same times, then put the machine in standby, one recording will always fail. I have experimented and determined VideoMate DVB-S DVBS Tuner (2) isn't coming out of standby properly. I verified this by setting Tuner 1 as 'do not use' if I then put the machine in standby, wake it up, start DVBViewer 4.6 client I just get a blank screen, I noticed the Green bar at the bottom is cycling between 100% and 0% at about 5 second intervals. The Recording Service icon is orange indicating it's working ok. However, if I manually stop the Recording Service, then restart DVBVier then works. I have also tried physically swapping the cards over but problem remains.I did notice the Compro cards are different revisions. One is based on SAA3135 chip, the other SAA3130 hence I have two sets of drivers installed. However, the setup used to work perfectly with Recording Service 1.4.7.10 & DVBViewer 4.2.1. So I'm now totally lost! It's probably worth mentioning this problem only occurs when coming out of standby. If I set 2 timers at same time and leave the machine on it works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, Ian

support.zip

Begin with disable the away mode and see if that has any positive result on your issue. Away Mode is not supported on 64-bit windows systems. Check BIOS for away mode and also disable it in Win7.

Begin with disable the away mode and see if that has any positive result on your issue. Away Mode is not supported on 64-bit windows systems. Check BIOS for away mode and also disable it in Win7.

Thanks for the suggestion. Away mode is disabled, no difference to issue. It's worth mentioning I've also experimented with different settings of 'Reset after standby', 'Retune on missing stream', and 'Stop stream while tuning' but problem remains.

Ian

OK, so I am making slow progress. It seems one of my cards is taking longer to wake up from standby than the other. With tuner one set to 'Do not use' if I resume from standby and immediately start DVBViewer I get a blank screen for ever. However, if I wait for 5+ seconds it will work every time.

Ian

Update. I believe I have narrowed down the problem even further. I noticed the problem was dependent on the last tuned channel. By that I mean, if say the last tuned channel was BBC1 London, I got the issue I described previously. If the last tuned channel was ITV1 London I didn't get the problem & everything works ok. Now, this may be coincidental, I went through the entire channel list & noticed all the channels where I get the problem are 'H' polarisation. All the channels that work are 'V' polarisation. I have a quad LNB so thinking it may be a bit dodgy I swapped over connections, this made no difference. Am really hoping this info may help track down the issue.

Ian

Hope, I don't have Hibernation enabled.

Ian

Using standby with two tuners and same brand (sharing the same driver) could apparently be problematic, see this example:

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/44156-recording-service-fails-to-process-timers-after-wake-from-standby/

Here is the statement from subvertbeats where he says hibernation works normally while standby not. Could be same problem for you.

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/41387-another-intelligent-hibernationscript/page__view__findpost__p__325299

:bye:

Using standby with two tuners and same brand (sharing the same driver) could apparently be problematic, see this example:

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/44156-recording-service-fails-to-process-timers-after-wake-from-standby/

Here is the statement from subvertbeats where he says hibernation works normally while standby not. Could be same problem for you.

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/41387-another-intelligent-hibernationscript/page__view__findpost__p__325299

:bye:

Thanks, I have read these threads previously. I really don't want to enable Hibernation. I get other unrelated issues when I do.

I have concluded the problem is down to some very subtle tuning issue on one of my cards. They are both S350 cards but different H/W revisions and use different chips (one uses SAA7130, the other SAA7135). I think it's too much of a coincidence that all the channels that don't work from resume are Horizontal Polarisation, all the channels that do work when I resume from standby are Vertical. I would really like to understand the root cause but unfortunately I can't really take this much further, lack of knowledge on my part!

Thanks again

Ian

More information! I haven't given up just yet. After much searching with Google I have found out a few interesting things. The 'D1' revision using SAA7135 of the Compro S350 card is sometimes detected as a Compro T750. I verified this using AIDA64 diagnostics / system information utility and it says there's a T750 card in PCI slot where the S350 is. And I have also found out the 'D1' revision of the S350 doesn't restore the LNB voltage properly when coming out of standby. I found a bunch of information to fix the issue for Linux users, but nothing for windows. I have posted on Compro forum but no response as yet. The interesting thing for me is why my set up used to work fine until I upgraded too more recent versions of the Recording Service. Unfortunately I can't determine the revision of the Recoring Service that introduced the problem.

Anyhow, I'n now way out of my depth on this irritating issue. I hope the pointers I've found might give some clues. If I hear from Compro Forum I will post back here.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

After many emails I finally got some answers from Compro. S350 cards with the following PCB revision P\N:0G9MP01P00-C8 have a fault and may have problems resuming from standby. Specifically, when coming out of standby the LNB voltage will be wrong and you probably wont be able to tune into any horizontal polarised channels without closing, then restarting DVBViewer, or Recording Service.

I'm still curious why the card worked with older (4.2.1) versions of DVBViewer?

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting confused with my hardware, the S350 hardware revision that doesn't work with latest Recording Service is P\N:0G9MP01P00-C10.

Since my last post Compro said it may be a hardware problem & kindly sent me 2 new S350 cards, this time Rev P\N:0G9MP01P00-C11 and.... they don't work ether!! Exactly the same problem as before, that is, no Horizontal Polarised channels when resuming from standby indicating LNB voltage problem.

I'm now back to thinking it's a bug in the Recording Service, maybe the Hardware database incorrectly identifying the more recent revisions of the S350 that use SAA7135 chip. In fact, I'm 99.99% sure it's a Recording Service problem as all 3 cards that show the problem work perfectly with older Recording Service 1.4.7.10 & DVBViewer 4.2.1.

I would really appreciate someone getting back to me on this as it's irritating the hell out of me!

many thanks

Ian

Edited by eustonstreet