Finding the limits

PerryM

I have just updated both DVBViewer Pro and RS to the latest versions and (hopefully) everything seems to still work. I seem to have found one task that pushes my system over the edge and I hope somebody else can check to see if it is 'normal'. This 'problem' does not seem to have changed with the updates.

I have a server and slave machine (the slave feeding my TV) via Ethernet networking (i.e. no wireless or mains data adaptors). Because of the nature of my work, I often arrive home after a programme has started to record via RS. If I want to watch it before it finishes I can open VLC Media Player on the slave and start to watch from the beginning of the recording, so that I am using the system as a cache. This all works fine, but if I get greedy then I may want to jump part of the (already recorded) programme via the VLC slider. On SD programmes this works fine, but on HD (BBC Freesat) this usually causes the programme viewing to become unstable. It appears to recover the sync on the long GOP sequencing but then subsequently has rather random pauses that go on for the rest of the programme. It is possible that these hiccups are caused by data spikes in the TS. Using the pause control does not subsequently improve matters. Closing VLC and restarting on the same file works fine but then of course I have to rewatch the same material!

I tried some experiments this morning, and I can reliably repeat the situation on any BBC HD programme. The hiccups only occur if I watch whilst the programme is still recording. Neither server or slave computers appear to be hitting cpu limits judging by the performance graphs in Windows Task Manager. I therefore don't know whether it is a server or slave related problem, or whether perhaps it is a problem in VLC Player or the system video decoder.

I can happily live with this problem, and there are several workarounds I can use. It would be nice though to know that I am not doing something silly and that this problem is not unique to me!

Why do you use VLC streaming o the slave PC? Is it a non Windows PC? You DO know, that you can configure the DVBViewer so be a "client" of the RS ans open the progamme being recorded from there?

Dohh - I knew I was doing something stupid! I'd completely forgotten that DVBViewer could playback recordings as well. Just given it a try and it does seem a lot more stable than VLC with more control options. (jump forward etc).

I'll get me coat! (only UK viewers will understand!)

OK - I've got the MCE2005 Plug-in enabled (ticked box in options) but how do I actually change from the DVBViewer default commands to the MCE commands?

Well I've used the normal OSD menu to 'LEARN' some of the remote keys, but that seems to rather beg the question of what the MCE2005 is supposed to do. Unfortunately there seems to be no information.