RS Installer overwrites old settings

majstang

Really annoying when the latest RS installer doesnt take any consideration about keeping old settings but simply overwrites them with default values. Latest examples are:

- Connection between DVBViewer client and RS failed cuz installer changed port to the default 8089

- Automatic EPG Update...was suddenly enabled after RS >1.7 installation.

- RS Startpage went from (my setting) Timer to Programs Overview.

- Format Options all went back to default (adjust PMT/PAT checked)

Might be small things in the big picture but they cause unnecessary confusion for many.

Edited by majstang

Did experimenting with UserMode 0 about 6 months ago. Since then i have been using UserMode 2 only.

ADD: only thing i have done lately is unistall/reinstall f-secure internet security 2011, but i doubt that could be the culprit here.

Edited by majstang

After more investigation the RS installer seem to be innocent. Something went very bad after uninstalling and reinstalling my firewall and AV. All RS settings went up in smoke and everything went back to the default values. Very strange!

Werid though - the same thing happened to me 2 days ago. But it was after a power cut, so I blamed that.

Suddenly, the RS port changed back, recordings folder changed back to the user profile, front page went to programs, and some other stuff too.

Werid though - the same thing happened to me 2 days ago. But it was after a power cut, so I blamed that.

Suddenly, the RS port changed back, recordings folder changed back to the user profile, front page went to programs, and some other stuff too.

That is spooky, it was exactly two days ago for me as well this happened. It started with i coulndt find my recordings, cuz recordings folder changed back to the user profile. I dont think there was any power cut here though, but cant say for sure.

Anyway, thought there was measures taken to prevent this in case of power cuts, but it seemed to have failed.

Edited by majstang

scrutinizing this closer it turns out it was the service.xml that crashed and burned. No other config file was affected, cuz all tasks, searchpresets and other things was intact and still working. Looking at the RS changelog one can find this:

Changes 1.6.8 Beta

Add: Configuration files: The configuration (xml) files are now first saved to a temporary file and then renamed to the actual file name. This should prevent corrupt files if the PC crashes on writing.

Now if this is supposed to work howcome only scvtimers has this temp file (svctimers.bak) when looking in configfolder and no other .bak for the other configfiles...not even when making changes to service.xml in RS webinterface-->Configuration and simultaneously checking the configfolder? I doubt this safety system really works as intended when considering what happened to uglyned and myself recently?

If one of the crucial RS settings configfiles like service.xml does get corrupted, what happens then...how does RS react to that...automatically reinitializing the default settings?

What the heck! Now it happened again right before my eyes...my service.xml got wiped and replaced by default settings. There was definitely no power cut causing it. Only thing I did was right click RS tray icon and pressed configure. Did this exact thing at least 5 times before (within a couple of hours) without things going wrong, but the sixth time the reset surprisingly occured. Could this be a bug that is getting apparent now when the safety system with temporary files to prevent config files getting corrupt is demonstrably off (at least for service.xml)?

• 1 month later...

Sorry to say, but service.xml got wiped and replaced by default settings again. There was no powercut. As last time only thing I did was right click RS tray icon and pressed configure. If bringing up the configure menu a few times after each other seems to cause the wipeout of the service.xml. The safety system with .backup files didnt prevent it. When checking config folder I have two versions of service.bak

As usual I cant reproduce the problem every time...it seem to happen randomly.

1. service.bak

2. service20110510000906.bak

2 contains only this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<settings>

<section name="MHW">

<entry name="Frequencies">12363v0,12603h2,10847v1,12515h0,12304h0,11355v0,10719v0,11428h3</entry>

</section>

<section name="Service">

<entry name="NextEPGUpdate">1305028355</entry>

</section>

<section name="WebGeneral">

<entry name="Language">svenska</entry>

<entry name="Root">D:\Program Files\DVBViewer\SvcWeb</entry>

<entry name="Enabled">1</entry>

<entry name="Logopath">D:\Program Files\DVBViewer\Images</entry>

<entry name="StreamPort">7522</entry>

</section>

</settings>