No audio on my recordings?

stenovitz

Hello

I've invested in DVBViewer and a DVB-C TV-card from Terratec, Terratec Cinergy C with a CI-module and CAM-module to my encryption card.

The live signal on my HD encrypted channels is fine, but when I try to play my recordings in e.g. Windows Media Player, there is no sound at all. The only media program, for which I receive sound is the VLC Media Player. This is very unfortunate since the purpose of my investment was to burn my recordings to DVD.

So what do I do from here?

Two Questions:

1) Is it a European e.g. GB AC3 broadcast - if so

2) Does it pay ok in Windows 7 SP1 Media Player - this question is deliberately specific.

Don

Stenovitz

If you can answer my post then do.

Don't just 'install "ac3" filter'.

If the file is a TS file and the problem is specific to Windows Media Player - it's probably not you.

Let me know.

Regards

Don

If the file is a TS file and the problem is specific to Windows Media Player - it's probably not you.

Sorry for my late response, I've been gone for some days.

Yes, the file is of the *.ts format, i.e. the standard output for DVBViewer recordings.

I cannot hear sound in either of these programs

- Windows Media Player

- Windows Live Movie Maker

- TMPEG Encoder

- DivX Player

- and some other media players.

However, I CAN hear sound in VLC Player. And I CAN hear sound in DVBViewer in live mode (I guess that must be 'DirectShow' in the DVBViewer nomenclature).

A little more info about my system:

CPU: Intel Dual Core E8400@3000MhZ, RAM: 2x2 Gb Corsair, GFX: Sapphire Vapor-X ATI HD5770

TV-card: Terratec Cinergy C with CI-module and CAM-card from my (Danish) TV-provider (YouSee*) and a decoder card from same provider.

* YouSee: Denmarks largest cable-TV provider

Setup of my DVBViewer, regarding video- and audio settings:

1. MPEG Video Decoder: CyberLink Video/SP Decoder(Terratec)

- tried other options as: <System Default>, CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD8), CyberLink Video/SP BD-HD Decoder, ATI MPEG Video Decoder, CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (HomeNetwork) as well.

2. H.264 Video Decoder: CyberLink H.264/ACV Decoder (Terratec)

- other options: <System Default>, DivX H.264 Decoder, DivX Decoder Filter, CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD8), ATI MPEG Video Decoder, Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder.

3. Audio A, MPEG Sound Decoder: CyberLink Audio Decoder (Terratec)

- other options: <System Default>, MPEG Audio Decoder, Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder, CyberLink Audio Wizard, CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD8), CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD8 UPnP)

4. Audio A, MP3 Audio Decoder: <System Default>

- no other options are available.

5. Audio A, MPEG AC3 Decoder: CyberLink Audio Decoder (Terratec)

- other options: <System Default>, Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder, CyberLink Audio Wizard, CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD8), CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD8 UPnP)

6. Audio A, ACC Audio Decoder: CyberLink Audio Decoder (Terratec)

- other options: <System Default>, CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD8)

7. DirectShow, MPEG Video Decoder: CyberLink Video/SP Decoder(Terratec)

- other options: <System Default>, CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD8), CyberLink Video/SP BD-HD Decoder, ATI MPEG Video Decoder, CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (HomeNetwork)

8. DirectShow, MPEG Audio Decoder: CyberLink Audio Decoder(Terratec)

- other options: <System Default>, MPEG Audio Decoder, Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder, CyberLink Audio Wizard, CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD8), CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD8 UPnP)

I have not tried all audio combinations, but as far as I remember, the only Audio-option which I receive live audio sound is from Terratec's CyberLink Audio Decoder, and that includes both AC3 2.0 and AC3 3.0 sound from my TV provider.

Hi again

Regarding playing back a file, I see TS file, Windows Media Player, Windows 7, but not SP1 - try again after applying SP1.

If it's what i think it is then that should fix WMP, let me know.

I'm assuming that the file is a 'European' broadcast.

Regards

Don

[.. but not SP1 - try again after applying SP1.]

You were absolutely correct: Win7 SP1 x64 did the work. Thanks a lot! :)

/Steen, Denmark, on a European broadcast.

Moderator & Stenovitz

Whilst I'm listed as a 'Newbie' that may not be quite right :-)

Could I suggest that whoever is 'Moderating' read this and considers whether it should be posted more prominently.

Here's the story:

When AC3 is transmitted as a stream within a broadcast it is given a specific PMT/PID.

In the US they use the AC3 PMT ATSC.

European broadcasters don't, they use AC3 PMT DVB.

The significance is that all versions of Windows Media Player before Windows 7 SP1 only looked for the ATSC PMT.

The result being that streams with DVB audio were not detected, i.e. silent.

WMP W7 SP1 now correctly looks for the DVB PMT and decodes (plays) AC3 properly.

I have no doubt there are thousands of folk who have torn their hair out over this one.

I'm pleased to say MS were very attentive once they were aware of the DVB PMT and its use by Eurpoean broadcasters.

I hope this explains.

Best

Don

Edited by dmcq

just install ac3 filter and all directshow based players will play ac3 sound in ts files. This is in no way connected to the DVBViewer recording. DVBViewer can not change anything here.

When AC3 is transmitted as a stream within a broadcast it is given a specific PMT/PID.

In the US they use the AC3 PMT ATSC.

European broadcasters don't, they use AC3 PMT DVB.

The significance is that all versions of Windows Media Player before Windows 7 SP1 only looked for the ATSC PMT.

The result being that streams with DVB audio were not detected, i.e. silent.

WMP W7 SP1 now correctly looks for the DVB PMT and decodes (plays) AC3 properly.

Oh, that explains it all! Thanks for a thorough explanation :-)

/Steen

Desweil

The bigger picture here for Windows users, is that WMP which is used by millions has had this bug for years and wasn't discovered/fixed till W7 SP1.

Lots of people on all sorts of forums have wrestled with this problem without knowing what it was due to.

Hence the suggestion you might choose to give it a greater prominence than being just in this thread.

Regards

Don