Recording in other formats than *.ts, *.mpg. i.e. *.mkv

wzn967

I would like to incorporate in *. mkv format, it is more compatible than *. ts if you want subtitles recorded. Or an opportunity to record in *. mpg where the subtitles are stored in a separate file. This would enable me to use my PS3 as a media player for recorded television programs, since the PS3 can not play *. ts files properly, coming only a picture and no sound.

You already can select *.mpg as the recording format. In DVBViewer, select Settings -> Options -> Recorder -> and there is a drop down menu for Output Format. There is a similar option in the Recording Service.

On the same page, you may need to selct the option to include subtitles in the recordings.

Hope this helps,

C.

You already can select *.mpg as the recording format. In DVBViewer, select Settings -> Options -> Recorder -> and there is a drop down menu for Output Format. There is a similar option in the Recording Service.

On the same page, you may need to selct the option to include subtitles in the recordings.

Hope this helps,

C.

I know that can record in *.mpg. But I can't record in *.mpg and record subtitles at the same time. I live in Denmark, and virtually all foreign television are subtitled and not dubbed. So I would understand nothing of all the French, German, Portuguese, Italian, Afghan and African people are talking in telly. I would record in *mpg, if it was possible to create a separate subtitle. But unfortunate it's not.

• 4 weeks later...

#Derrick: I know, but I can't find a decent tool to edit my recordings and convert them to *.mpg or similar.

#Cian: I also use PS3 Media Server, but it won't stream .TS recorded in HD properly , only in SD.

• 3 weeks later...

I use PS3 media server too.

Concerning my experience, most of recorded files plays on PS3.

Default recorded file extension must be .ts

But there are some restriction concerning internal codecs of PS3.

When a file won't play, i convert it with tsmuxer, and after converting it works at all here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to the fun, Matroska (.mkv) doesn't officially support subtitles so I doubt you'll find any software that will record directly to .mkv and include subtitles. All the HTPC software I've tried records only in .ts (includes multiple audio and subtitle streams) or .mpg (one audio and one video stream).

To get a .mkv file with subtitles from a BBC HD recording I:

* Edit the recording using VideoReDo and save it as both .ts and .mkv

* Run the .ts file through ProjectX to de-mux the (teletext) subtitle stream

* Re-mux the subtitles and .mkv file using mkvmergeGUI.

The de-mux and re-mux don't take long as there's no encoding to do.

Edited by SimonP