4:2:0 ? 4:2:2 ? How to tell ?

Geezerjem

Hi all,

I've just spent a while trying to get a picture on an Irish horse racing feed on 37.5W. The audio is fine. It's turned out that the signal is 4:2:2 and I needed to switch to using the Elecard codec not my normally used Nvidia one.

My question is : How do I tell what 'subsampling' I think it's called is being used in the transmitted signal so that I can quickly set it up properly ?

I've had a rummage and can't find the answer here (or anywhere for that matter)

Thanks in advance,

Jem.

BTW It's the Abu Dhabi 2000 Guineas and it's chucking it down at the Curragh Racecourse :-)

..there are numerous ways to find out whether it's 4:2:2. Just record a couple of seconds and open the recording with mediainfo. Or stream to vlc and check the properties. If you're looking mainly for feeds, its recommended to use a 422_capable_decoder (e.g. mainconcept or ffdshow) :D

Derrick,

Thanks for the superfast answer ! I've now installed ffdshow and mediainfo. I'll have a play with them during the course of the evening... Whilst installing mediainfo I noticed (and checked) the box that said something like 'add tooltip for windows explorer' which basically means that just hovering the mouse over the recorded file gives all the info ! Sorted !

Cheers,

Jem

post-106668-0-79243300-1305994644_thumb.jpg

Another easy way to tell is by using the latest Etymonix codec. It has an option that you can turn on that causes an info box to pop up for a few seconds when the graph is first started. Chroma is one of the things it reports in the box.

Cheers