Alternative FFmpeg & VLC versions and Settings

Hi,

since a couple of weeks I am running a new 24/7 server (Core i5-2400S based) at home with DVBViewer installed. I am aware of the fact that RS is requiring rather old versions of FFmpeg and VLC for streaming to iGadgets and Computers. My new CPU is powerful enough to spend much more CPU time in encoding videos than requested by the default setup of RS. On the other hand I am currently equipped with a pretty bad ADSL line, leaving effectively 500kbits upstream.

Well, during the next weeks (my spare time is limited) I am going to play around with alternative FFmpeg & VLC versions and settings to achieve a much better video quality at lower bitrate. I will post the results here.

Other reasons for my concern:

- newer versions of FFmpeg & VLC, actually "x264"-lib, as I am going to use h.264 codec only, make use of new cpu features like SSE4 (and probably AVX soon)

- new iGadgets can process h.264 Main Profile Level 3.1, which is a huge improvement compared to Base Profile supported by old iGadgets

- I guess sometime in the near future FFmpeg will be able to use new Core-iX's hardware video encoder "Intel Quick Sync Video" which is incredibly fast while consuming only little CPU time

If somebody want to help, feel invited...

jruhe

You should use the current VLC Player version with the recording Service. Only the old "Web Interface 1.5" needs a old VLC player version.

Sounds very intresting and I will follow your results closely. I dont know how I could be of any assistance though, since having an older iGadget, but everything else is top of the line. Would be really nice to be abled to stream high quality low bitrate video to my iPhone lag-free, instead of the blurry low bitrate video in order to get it lag-free today. Had my hopes up on getting some 4G for quite some time now, but unfortunately it is only sold as internet subscriptions, so if your idea will work that would be greatness :bye:

Regards

majstang

You should use the current VLC Player version with the recording Service. Only the old "Web Interface 1.5" needs a old VLC player version.

That helps. Thank you. But since both FFmepg and VLC use x264 as h.264 encoder, the goal is still to find the best (command line) parameters for x264 and pass them to VLC and FFmepg using RS.

I will post initial results probably on Tuesday.

jruhe

good luck. BTW the current ffmpeg version does about 25% worse than the old version frames/secs conversion like. that's the reason I won't go for the current version.

And no you don't really see a difference between those two versions quality wise.

Currently I focus on the question whether it is possible to create a tolerable 500 kbit/s stream with x264 from the quality point of view. After doing some research the answer seams to be "yes". I have seen impressive 720p streams at 500kbit/s, but with massive pre- and postprocessing applied. I think there is a good chance to find reasonable FFmpeg/x264 settings for streaming Live TV and recordings at such a low bitrate at least at VGA resolution and PAL for sources. To encode 720p50 content the same way is going to get tough without reducing the frame rate or apply interlacing.

Ideally streams for PC and new iGadgets can be encoded identically, as the latter can now cope with h.264 High Profile.

Since I am an absolute newbie in this field I need some time to work on that topic.

jruhe