DVB-S2

fxv1

Hi, I am in the UK. Have been using DVBViewer for ages now. Currently have w7 x64 , ATI HD5770 , Quad core AMD 955, 8G ram.

Since the change from DVB-S to DVB-S2 of BBC ONE HD and Channel 4 HD I have not been able to view anything decently on these channels. Aretefacts are main problems. Have been messing around with most of the codecs and renderers that is possible. Currently with PowerDVD 11.

Is there any general advice to all DVB-s2 users? For example is the solution to upgrade to a different DVB-S2 card ? Use a different renderer etc.

This is driving me nuts as previous BBC HD on DVB-S was quite decent but since going on to DVB-S2 it is pants.

I enclose support.zip

Anyone in the UK with a similar problem ? or a solution would be great ....any comments appreciated.

attachment=28640:options.JPG].

post-63025-0-27013100-1308346933_thumb.jpg

My TV card is:

The AzureWave AD-SP400 is the latest HIGH DEFINITION DVB-S2 Common Interface PC Card (also kown as the Twinhan DVB-S2 Card).

AzureWave AD-SP400

DVB-S/DVB-S2 supported

TwinhanDTV DVB-S2 CI brings you new generation of high definition Satellite TV 'DVB-S2'. Users can enjoy H.264/MPEG2 HDTV via DVB-S/DVB-S2.

Edited by fxv1

It's probably a codec problem - try this pack to see if you can get a different codec working:

http://k-lite-codec-pack-full.software.informer.com/7.1/

I use the MainConcept H.264/AVC Codec and my BBC HD picture has improved since the move to S2.

Sorry, but I'm no expert and you likely have to do some searching to find the right codec.

john

in the UK

Thanks John, have got Klite 720 codec pack but when I load it the MainConcepts Codec is not available in DVBViewer.

Have gone to their web site and d/l their app and it works but the codec does not show in DVBViewer.

What name does it show up as in the codec list please?

Never knew that Software existed.

PowerDVD11 Codec should work. Have you activated DXVA for hardware decoding support?

I have tried PowerDVD11 (via Sharks codecs pack) and similar issues. DXVA was selected ( I have tried all 3 options on the codec SW HAM and DXVA) but similar results. It is somewhat bizarre that ITV HD (DVB-S) at a higher bit rate copes very well but DVB-S2 seem not to. Both my CPU and GPU are hardly been taxed speed wise as both are toggling at about 20% max. BLU Ray movies play faultlessly at full screen. My ATI CCC is 11.6.

Have tried DVB Dream and ProgDVB but gone similar issues. Funny enough ffdshow copes bit better (on that codec you can specify postprocessing), but that keeps freezing.

Would be kinda useful if I was to get some guidance from the programmers, I have posted support.zip earlier on a couple days ago.

Frank

Hi, I am in the UK. Have been using DVBViewer for ages now. Currently have w7 x64 , ATI HD5770 , Quad core AMD 955, 8G ram.

Since the change from DVB-S to DVB-S2 of BBC ONE HD and Channel 4 HD I have not been able to view anything decently on these channels. Aretefacts are main problems. Have been messing around with most of the codecs and renderers that is possible. Currently with PowerDVD 11.

Is there any general advice to all DVB-s2 users? For example is the solution to upgrade to a different DVB-S2 card ? Use a different renderer etc.

This is driving me nuts as previous BBC HD on DVB-S was quite decent but since going on to DVB-S2 it is pants.

I enclose support.zip

Anyone in the UK with a similar problem ? or a solution would be great ....any comments appreciated.

attachment=28640:options.JPG].

post-63025-0-27013100-1308346933_thumb.jpg

My TV card is:

The AzureWave AD-SP400 is the latest HIGH DEFINITION DVB-S2 Common Interface PC Card (also kown as the Twinhan DVB-S2 Card).

AzureWave AD-SP400

DVB-S/DVB-S2 supported

TwinhanDTV DVB-S2 CI brings you new generation of high definition Satellite TV 'DVB-S2'. Users can enjoy H.264/MPEG2 HDTV via DVB-S/DVB-S2.

The Windows 7 "native" decoder (Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder) seems to work well enough, with the EVR custom video renderer (I have "Vsync by Aero" checked).

Since the change from DVB-S to DVB-S2 of BBC ONE HD and Channel 4 HD I have not been able to view anything decently on these channels. Artifacts are main problems

Not sure if you fixed this - but I had similar problems resulting (apparently) from the BBC change to DVB-S2. In my case I have ATI HD4350 graphics & I spotted on another forum that a downgrade of the driver software fixes this (mostly pixellation problems). Going to CCC 11.4 has made all the difference, no further problems.

I am not sure if this was a MS graphics driver upgrade whose release was coincident with the BBC change to S2, but installing v11.4 has fixed my problems!

Have removed ccc 11.6 and now with ccc 11.4..Still artefacts. Also tried coreavc codecs but no chnage.

Thanks anyway.

Frank

I have managed to stifle the artifacts by using ffdshow RAW filter processing. This however produces stuttering (picture freezes for about 1 sec) and also speech lag. There are so many variables in that codec and I have trawled the net to find out a good read for explanation for that codec and how to set up the hundreds of tick boxes.

Any info on the above will be very welcome.

I also tried with "open whole Transponder" unticked and did a complete new scan but that made no difference.

I am not sure if this is down to my HW or the OS.

I must here say that I have also tried other DVB apps and have similar results so I am in no way blaming DVBViewer for this.

I also tested with WMC and DVB-S works but that app as yet do not support DVB-S2 as yet (is there any way around that).

WindowsMediaCenter=WMC

Cheers

Frank

Not sure if you fixed this - but I had similar problems resulting (apparently) from the BBC change to DVB-S2. In my case I have ATI HD4350 graphics & I spotted on another forum that a downgrade of the driver software fixes this (mostly pixellation problems). Going to CCC 11.4 has made all the difference, no further problems.

I am not sure if this was a MS graphics driver upgrade whose release was coincident with the BBC change to S2, but installing v11.4 has fixed my problems!

After this working flawlessly for a whole day the following day the artefacts have re-appeared.

One thing which I have noticed is that whatever you set PowerDVD codec to (in the options section) it always goes back to SW when you check it again. I have tested this on two builds of W7 64bit. However when you check POWERDVD (via the filter options) the settings stick when you change them. I wonder which setting are acted upon ? Can someone else check this out and see if they have same situation.

• 3 months later...

:bounce: Just had an email from AMD telling me that the artefacts issue with DVB-S2 is fixed in CCC 11.9

I will try out over the weekend.

Frank (w00t):blink::bye:

Removed CCC and cleaned up dlls with DriverSweeper. Installed 11.9 rebooted.

Result , DVB-S2 channels suffer from artefacts just as before - AMD claim to have fixed this.

When I turn off DVXA ( from View--->filters-->PowerDVD11) and set the filter to SW, the picture has no artefacts at all but it keeps freezing every few soconds.

I have tried many other H264 decoders and exactly same results.

I am using Running DVB 4.9

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AMD Response:

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200443183]} has been reviewed and

updated.

Response and Service Request History:

I do not see any ticket from your from 6 months ago. Indeed we had reports

on this issue and interim we provided a Beta driver to our customers.

In any case the fix is implemented in CAT 11.9. Please try it out and let me

know if you still see the issue.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service

request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Farhad S

post-63025-0-80581700-1318028170_thumb.jpg