Downloading EPG from Recording Service

eustonstreet

Hi, a quick question, are there any known issues with DVBViewer clients downloading the EPG from the recording service on local network? I've never had a issue with this until I installed latest versions (DVBViewer 4.8.1 & Recording Service 1.8.0.1 Beta). Now clients hang for what seems like a silly amount of time of at least a minute or so. If I untick the option 'Download EPG from service' on client everything works as expected. Interestingly, the DVBViewer client on same PC as Recording Service doesn't hang and starts up more or less instantly. Maybe this is the way it's always been but I'm sure I would have noticed.

Many thanks

Ian

Sorry, should have mentioned, Recording Service and DVBViewer clients running on Windows 7 x64. Out of interest, I tried DVBViewer client on old XP machine and there is no hang whilst downloading EPG from service over network. So weirdness is specific to Windows 7 x64.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have seen the same thing, also on Windows 7 x64. EPG update takes 30 seconds, either on start-up or through Options button. If I have the channel list update checked, that takes a similar period. I've not had a previous version, so don't know what it was like before.

No there are no known problems, only the usual suspects (firewall, AntiVir programs, wrong settings and the likes). ;)

User eustonstreet should try the "Test Connection" button in DVBViewer "Recording Service" Options. If it fails, check the port/account settings match with RS Options in "Web/uPnP" and "Web Settings"

I found a problem with mine. After changing the port address to match the DVBV one and adding a username and password (the RS Options dialogue didn't accept a blank one), the connection was made. Now, EPG loading only takes 15 seconds - still a lot, but maybe because the epg.dat file is over 30MB.

I just saw confirmed in another post that both DVBViewer and RS use the same "channels.dat" file, so it seems the "load channels" option is redundant for a single machine installation.

I read in a history file that both programs once used the same "epg.dat" but they were made separate. I suppose the recordings EPG was separated from the viewer one so it could be regularly updated.

Edited by QBox User

Thanks for the inputs. So, no firewall, no anti virus programs on any machine. Test connection works fine, as it always has done. DVBViewer client on Windows XP machine starts in a couple of seconds downloading both channel list and epg from Recording Service. DVBViewer client on Win7 X64 takes nearly a minute to download channel list and epg. Obviously something strange going on, not a show stopper though.

Thanks again

Ian