Using Divx HD codec for H.264

galmok

I'd like to know if I am the only one that experiences that DVBViewer locks up when switching between H.264 channels when using DivX HD H.264 codec to decode the stream? The lockup only happens with DXVA enabled, and not 100% of the times I try (more like 80%). I switch channels, the sound from the new channel starts but the screen either shows the last image of the previous channel or just black. DVBViewer is unresponsive. After a few seconds, sound stops and DVBViewer has to be killed. disabling DXVA solves the lockup problem. My guess this is probably the DivX codec locking up (DXVA on AMD hardware is flaky).

Channel switches to H.264 channels are taking many seconds to get the video showing. This wasn't always so. With 4.0 I remember that video on H.264 was showing in only 1-3 seconds. Now, I can risk having to wait 6-15 seconds before the video shows up. This is quite annoying (the change for the worse happened when I upgraded DVBViewer). Anyone else noticed this?

support.zip

I think this may be a DIVX problem. I've tried their codec, I get sound within around 2 secs but have to wait a further 8-10 secs for the picture and often my PC will eventually become unresponsive. I found the problem to be a memory leak with DIVX.

Try looking at the performance graph in Task Manager, you'll probably see the memory usage ramp up till the PC becomes unresponsive.

It's a shame, DIVX is the only codec that gives me smooth video for H.264

I also find that channel switching is slower with ver 4.8.x especially when switching fom SD to HD channels.

I haven't noticed any memory leaks, though. I have had DVBViewer run for 20 hours straight without noticing any issues with Divx HD codec and memory leak.

• 3 weeks later...

You should try CoreAVC H.264 Codec.

It's very good and light. It supports both CUDA and DXVA Accelerated Cards.

It is no good for interlaced 1080i.

You should try CoreAVC H.264 Codec.

It's very good and light. It supports both CUDA and DXVA Accelerated Cards.

Well, paying $13 just for a codec that may or may not work is a bit much. I'd rather stick with DivX HD codec. The application freeze problem will probably be solved eventually and even if not, my cpu is fast enough to decode it. I can also hope this is solved with new driver updates.