Recording does not start 1.9.0

majstang

Having the same troubles as the guys in the german thread http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/46438-aufnahme-startet-nicht-190/page__pid__342087#entry342087

When installing RS 1.9.0 i didn't have any troubles at all until first reboot the day after. After first reboot i got duplicate RS trayicons. Applied the fix and rebooted. System worked fine. Waking up system from hibernation today everything was fine and RS was accessable all day until first recording timer with starttime of 18:49:00. 18:46:00 something happened in the debuglog and the recording timer failed and RS went unresponsive. Rebooted and the recording started alright, missed the first minutes though :( Hibernation/standby issue maybe?

Edited by majstang

Nope, no hibernation issue. It works fine waking up system and run both manually and auto created recordings timers. No idea what was triggering the failure of the rec. timer and made RS unresponsive before :( This issue can only be related to RS 1.9 cuz i haven't had such an episode ever.

These was the only logs close to the time of failure:

24.07.11 18:46:00.049 ThdProc Waitfor signaled

24.07.11 18:46:00.049 Killtimer Dispose WT

24.07.11 18:46:00.049 Killtimer close thread

Edited by majstang

Having the same troubles as the guys in the german thread http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/46438-aufnahme-startet-nicht-190/page__pid__342087#entry342087

When installing RS 1.9.0 i didn't have any troubles at all until first reboot the day after. After first reboot i got duplicate RS trayicons. Applied the fix and rebooted. System worked fine. Waking up system from hibernation today everything was fine and RS was accessable all day until first recording timer with starttime of 18:49:00. 18:46:00 something happened in the debuglog and the recording timer failed and RS went unresponsive. Rebooted and the recording started alright, missed the first minutes though :( Hibernation/standby issue maybe?

I am also getting duplicate RS tray icons. You mentioned there is a fix, where can I find details?

thanks

Barry

If the setup is downloaded later (22-7-2011 ...) it has not this problem.

I did that and installed the 22-7-2011 version over the 21-7-2011, after the reboot i had still two systray icons. Maybe it did require a complete unistall of the 21-7-2011 version first? When applying the fix the duplicate icon disappeared though, so i didn't bother much after that. I was probably too quick downloading the new version before you guys had the chance to put it up on the server ;)

Edited by majstang

thanks that solved it

Barry

You're welcome :)

The new version don't remove the wrong entry. It is only not creating it.

Ah, that explains it, thanks! Well, all information about important fixes is always welcome even in the english forum ;)

I uninstalled new version completely and started from scrath to see if that has any bearing on this topic issue.

Dirk Hartstein posted a solution to the failing rec.timer and RS goes unresponsive shortly thereafter in the equivalent german thread covering this issue. Here is his translation of what he did:

Hello,

it is quite simple was I did :)

I have removed my password in the recording service. I left the passwort empty. Afte that I put again the passwort into the recording service. And thats it.

The recording service is now running.

regards,

Dirk

Many thanks to Dirk for the translation! I will try the same and see if things get better...although i only had one episode of failed rec.timer and unresponsive RS, but it's serious and quite annoying when a otherwise rock stable system starts missing recordings and act up all of a sudden. Hmm...most peculiar issue and how such a simple solution could solve it. I've posted a unicode error issue, within the user/password boxes for both admin and guest account, yesterday. Perhaps this is related to the topic issue, but it seems like a far fetched theory, since i didn't have any characters in either username or password that could have caused trouble unicodewise. Maybe some code in the underlying user/pass save function got messed up during the code overhaul and gets illogical consequences like this.

regards

majstang

Edited by majstang

I had these issues too. Twice since I first installed 1.9, RS has gone unresponsive, missed recordings and prevented DVBViewer from connecting. I also have the 2 recording tray icons issue.

This is a beta, so fair enough, but 2 recordings is too many for me so I booted 1.9 back off again and reverted to a previous version.

I'll wait for the next release!

I had these issues too. Twice since I first installed 1.9, RS has gone unresponsive, missed recordings and prevented DVBViewer from connecting. I also have the 2 recording tray icons issue.

Just for updating my status on this issue...since completely uninstalling RS 1.9 and then reinstalling the version from July 22, haven't had any issues...yet.

Don't know if the abcence of the issue is dependent on the complete reinstall or blanking out the user/password according to Dirks solution, though. If missing one more recording i'll follow your example, for sure.

I simply can't reproduce it.

But howcome RS can do such a crazy thing as kill the recording timer 3 minutes before it is supposed to start when system is already alive and started? Starttime of the recording was 18:49 and no logs after the killtimer occurence (RS unresponsive).

24.07.11 18:46:00.049 ThdProc Waitfor signaled

24.07.11 18:46:00.049 Killtimer Dispose WT

24.07.11 18:46:00.049 Killtimer close thread

That to me sounds to be the 3 minute time frame a recording timer uses when waking up system from standby/hibernation to recordingstart. It is like RS thought the system was in hibernation mode and when discovering system was already started it killed the timer and went unresponsive. Just an another far fetched theory. Only thing sure is this is fishy to say at least.

Edited by majstang

Great work, Lars! Now RS can be trusted again :) Thanks!

Oh, i'm really liking the highlights of current shows in Timeline by the way :D

Only thing missing now for the Timeline is autoreload to follow the red timemarker line.

Oh and one more thing left, mouse scrolling of the Timeline still has that annoying thing when reaching the left stop it starts to scroll down to the bottom of channellist, despite mouse cursor is located in the middle of timeline window.

Edited by majstang
  • 2 weeks later...

"Confirmed": No problem in 1.9.0 after 2 more weeks.

Recording service is starting all timers after Standby without problems.