Tevii S470/S480 recording errors

Watching some HD channels, and recording (recording service) another channel (H264 or MPEG2) results in a recording with tens of thousands errors.

Watching non-HD channels and recording gives about 4/6 errors every 30 minutes.

For example (started 2011-07-28-21-59-03):

10:01:18 PM / 12:02:15 AM (~ 167.90 MB) Errors: 4

10:31:18 PM / 12:32:15 AM (~ 1755.55 MB) Errors: 4

11:01:18 PM / 1:02:15 AM (~ 3379.92 MB) Errors: 5

Every recording has these 4/6 errors every 30 minutes (not at the same time after starting the recording, like 22:01:18, 12:02:02, 23:46:08, but at an interval of exactly 30 minutes).

I switched tuners (recording/watching).

I switched cable (Vista system/Windows 7 system).

(Windows 7) OS: Windows 7 64bit; ASUS P6T7WS Supercomputer; Intel i7 920; 12 Gb Ram; ATI Radeon 5870; Adaptec RAID 5405; ASUS HDAV 1.3; 1x TeVii S470 DVB-S/S2; 1x TeVii S480 DVB-S/S2; DVBViewer Pro v4.8.0.1; DVBViewer Recording Server 1.9.0.3; Codec h264: CoreAV 2.5.5; Codec MPEG2: CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)

My other PC (Vista 32, Asus P5WDG2 WS Professional) with 2 TT-budget S2-3200 (BDA) tuners, DVBViewer 4.8.0.1, works like a charm. Watching one channel and recording another channel at the same time, succeeds with at most 3 dropped frames (on the recording). A mixture of MPEG2, SD and HD channels is watched and recorded. No dropouts, shutter (CoreAV 1.x), artefacts or recording errors at al.

Edited by Fulco

..looks like you've messed up the hardware assignmemts. Hardware devices should not be active in both recording service and DVBViewer.

Do you use diseqc switches? If yes, deactivate the epg autoupdate. It could cause glitches when the cards are tuned in the background.

Yes, I use diseqc switches.

I think, the 30 minute errors, are gone:

A combination of correcting the DVBViewer/Recording Service configuration (Thanks Derrick!), and the latest drivers (v5.1.4.1) for the S470 card, seems have fixed it.

In the ‘old’ wrong configuration, starting a Recording or starting an EPG read, stopped the ‘watching’ tuner.

This only happened with the latest S470 drivers, older drivers did not display this problem, so I used an old driver (S470, v5.1.4.0).

The S480 did have the latest driver (see other forum thread: S480 BSOD) which solved the BSOD.

Now S470 and S480 have the latest driver (v5.1.4.1), and both the ‘30 minute errors’ and ‘stopping other tuner’ are gone.

Not solved is the unusable second S480 tuner (has floppy power cable connected).

Watching, especially HD channels, has too many artifacts to watch the channel..

Using this second S480 tuner to record, results in tens of thousands errors.

Switching cables between tuner 1 and 2, doesn’t change anything.

Fulco

• 7 months later...

Not solved is the unusable second S480 tuner (has floppy power cable connected).

Watching, especially HD channels, has too many artifacts to watch the channel..

Using this second S480 tuner to record, results in tens of thousands errors.

Switching cables between tuner 1 and 2, doesn't change anything.

Fulco

I had a similiar problem. Initially both tuners worked, but, as the months went by, the 2nd tuner (topmost) became unuseable for HD channels, and then became unuseable on SD channels. Tried it on a different PC, but still had the same problems. I eventually got it replaced under warranty. Had my replacement card for a couple of weeks and all seems to be well. I hope it lasts the distance.

Tim in New Zealand

I still have problems with the Tevii cards.

When I use one Tuner as recorder, and use the second Tuner to watch channels, this happens:

When Tuner 1 starts a recording or starts EPG gathering, Tuner 2 also ‘switches channel’. (I can give a detailed description)

Another problem is the cards sometimes can’t tune to a channel (zero signal).

Zapping to another channel, and zapping back, solves the problem.

I have tested several S480 and S470 cards, with several driver versions.

The cards were also replaced.

Support from Tevii said, they never seen this problem before.

My conclusion is, the Tevii cards are not compatible with my system.

I will buy other cards shortly (no TeVii of course).

Fulco

My system supports only PCIe cards, so there wasn’t much choice until recently (especially for twin tuner cards).

I plan to buy a “Digital Devices Cine S2 V6” card.

Fulco