Genpix SkyWalker-2

JoeShmuck

Hi, this is my first post here, and unfortunately it's because of a problem.

I recently purchased the program, to work with my Skywalker-2 tuner.

I'm using BDA drivers, and the card is recognized and scanning.

The problem is...it shows no signal. Using debugview, I see why, but don't

know how to fix it.

I'm putting lof1= 11250 lof2= 10750 sw= 12200, and applying. However, debugview is showing

that when scanning it is using LOF1: 9750, SW: 11700, LOF2: 10750. This appears to be the

settings for a Universal lnb. I'm using an Invacom QPH-031, which is NOT Universal.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? This also happens with TransEdit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Internally DVBViewer and TransEdit don't store LOF1, LOF2, LOFSW, but only the resulting LOF and 22 khz settings, as you can see in the DVBViewer channel editor:

Frequency < LOFSW yields LOF = LOF1, 22 khz off

Frequency > LOFSW yields LOF = LOF2, 22 khz on

When it comes to passing the values to the BDA interface, LOF and 22 khz on/off are kind of re-translated to LOF1, LOF2, LOFSW. DVBViewer expects the device driver to use LOF1 as LOF and switch 22 khz off, if the frequency is below LOFSW, resp. to use LOF2 as LOF and switch 22 khz on, if the frequency is above LOFSW, and to ignore the other LOF value. The re-translated values are calculated accordingly.

So it depends on the frequencies that you want to receive. If you want LOF1 to be applied, set LOFSW to some value above the to-be-received frequencies. If you want LOF2 to be applied, set LOFSW to a value below these frequencies.

More hints concerning TransEdit can be found here.

Thanks for the reply, Griga.

I had apparently transposed my lof1 and lof2 settings, due to another

program I use, internally inverting them, I had to reverse them to work.

I guess I continued to invert them without thinking.

While this works, it still seems to put a Universal default in place, if I'm not scanning

in that frequency, ignoring my preset. While I guess this is ok, it's rather strange behavior

to ignore my preset values. I'm guessing, based on the link you posted, that my values are

only considered *if* the transponders are in frequency range that my values would effect, otherwise

they default to program preset...is this correct?

Edited by JoeShmuck
While this works, it still seems to put a Universal default in place, if I'm not scanning in that frequency, ignoring my preset.

As already mentioned: DVBViewer doesn't store your original input, and it's impossible to recreate it from LOF and 22 khz on/off. So some information gets lost.

It may look like a design fault, but there are "historical" reasons for it. The first (non BDA) devices supported by DVBViewer - ages ago, when my grandfather was young :) - only required to set the LOF and 22 khz on/off. Actually that's all a DVB-S device/driver needs to know. When BDA came up, we had to deal with this IMO badly designed interface (no way to switch 22 khz on/off directly), but we didn't want to change the internal data structures and run into compatibility issues. So the work-around that you are encountering came into being.

my values are only considered *if* the transponders are in frequency range that my values would effect, otherwise they default to program preset...is this correct?

Yes. Values that are taking no effect should be ignored by the driver anyway. They are useless.

Thanks again, Griga. :)

The history lesson helped me wrap my brain around why the program is doing what it's doing.

BDA is new to me, but necessary going forward. I had to go to genpix to figure out

why the device *appeared* to be misbehaving since switching to BDA. It appears

that there are several ways that different software deals with BDA and Diseqc.

Happy to report that all is well, and everything is scanning.

:D

Edited by JoeShmuck