Runaway recording

QBox User

I would like to report a possible bug.

Last night, I left the PC (RS 1.9.0.3) recording when I went to bed. This morning, I saw it was not in standby. The Timer was still showing "Rec" on the web-page (attachment "Bad timer 2.png"). I had to manually delete it to get the recording to stop. File size is 17.25 GB - lucky it wasn't HD or my disc would have been full.

The txt file for the runaway recording shows details of a programme that has not yet been broadcast, though it is on the same channel. (Bad timer 1.png) The details on the "Recordings" page are the same. This programme is due to start at 10:45 on 29th. The original timer started at 23:10 on 28th.

I had another timer running immediately before this programme. Although I thought I had scheduled these to avoid a conflict, the log shows the first one ending at 23:15, so the timers may have overlapped. Both recordings used the same tuner, but they were from the same channel.

When I started DVBViewer, I saw that yet another recording was taking place (Bad timer 3.png). I did not set up this timer - it just appeared in the list. I deleted it.

Can anyone advise on how to prevent this from happening again?

svcrec.log last entries

28.08.11 23:15:00.072 Thread:2828 D:\TV Recordings\DVBViewer\Recording Service\2011-08-28_22-24-10_BBC 1 Scotland_Sportscene.ts Discontinuities: 0  -  Total size: 1.56 GB  -  Device:TBS QBOX DVB-S2 Tuner (3)
29.08.11 09:24:30.194 Thread:2828 D:\TV Recordings\DVBViewer\Recording Service\2011-08-28_23-10-00_BBC 1 Scotland_Match of the Day 2.ts Discontinuities: 17  -  Total size: 17.25 GB  -  Device:TBS QBOX DVB-S2 Tuner (3)
29.08.11 10:28:25.724 Thread:640 D:\TV Recordings\DVBViewer\Recording Service\2011-08-29_10-16-49_BBC 1 Scotland_Homes Under the Hammer.ts Discontinuities: 8  -  Total size: 320.50 MB  -  Device:TBS QBOX DVB-S2 Tuner (3)

Runaway.zip

Edited by QBox User

The timer was created from an AutoTimer search. The search produced two results for the same programme - the other one was from 22:25 to 23:45 on the HD channel - I deleted that to avoid a clash. I can't repeat the search just now as the football highlights programme isn't on for 2 weeks due to internationals. Other AutoTimer results in the Timer list look OK.

Actual programme end-time should have been 00:30 on 29th. The 10-minute default end buffer would have extended that to 00:40. If I edited the timer at all, it would have been to remove the start buffer to avoid overlap with the preceding timer. There was no reason to change the stop time, or the end buffer. I think I would have noticed if the timer showed 22:40 instead of 00:40 when I set it up, but I can't say when it changed. (I'm in time zone GMT + 1, by the way, with DST.)

Even if I had screwed up the timer edit, where did "Bad timer 3" come from? That appeared after I'd deleted Bad Timer 2, while it was still active. I noticed the recording after starting DVBViewer (accidentally - the task-bar icon is next to the orange Firefox one!) and saw the channel was tuned, so that might have triggered something. Normally my DVBViewer isn't tuned on start-up. Here, I think it displayed the "retuned by schedule" info panel.

I was watching the first programme while it was recording, including the 5-minute overlap into the second programme. By the time it finished, I had "caught up" with the live stream, and just continued watching that, not the recording.

Since it was my first few attempts at running the AutoTimer, I checked the results carefully and deleted any unwanted timers. I think it's more likely that was linked to the timer I'd just deleted (via Timers page) - maybe it didn't want to be deleted while it was recording.