Video thumbnail generation.

rossferg

Hello can anyone help me with the "Generate Thumbnails from selected Virtualpaths" function.Whenever I try to use this nothing appears to happen.All that is visible are the standard default icons in the OSD.All my recordings are .ts files and show up as thumbnails in windows explorer.When I press the button, the scanned files progress bar does nothing.If anyone has this function working correctly a nudge in the right direction would be gratefully received.

Thanks for the reply majstang.Yes I have read that post and everything in the manual/wiki but am still none the wiser.The function appears under Options/Movies/Movie thumbs in Settings.I was under the impression that this was an integral part of DVBViewer and that once the correct paths were specified, by using this function thumbs would be generated.I forgot to say I am using Windows 7, latest DVBViewer and Bluefuzz OSD skin.I am sure there must be something simple I am not doing.Once again thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply majstang.Yes I have read that post and everything in the manual/wiki but am still none the wiser.The function appears under Options/Movies/Movie thumbs in Settings.I was under the impression that this was an integral part of DVBViewer and that once the correct paths were specified, by using this function thumbs would be generated.I forgot to say I am using Windows 7, latest DVBViewer and Bluefuzz OSD skin.I am sure there must be something simple I am not doing.Once again thanks for the reply.

Doesn't work at all for videos for me, only pictures (Windows 7 32 bit).

Edited by dvbrewer

Thanks for the reply dvbrewer, yes same for me, picture thumbnails from specified paths show up fine.But for the life of me I cannot get videos to thumbnail.Funny thing is I fired up an old XP box running DVBViewer 4.2.1, tried it and it worked, I'm stumped.I can live without it, but it gives the whole interface a more polished feel, cheers.

• 9 months later...

I never got this option to work for any type of videos (AVI, MPG, QT, MKV,...). It work only for pictures. :unsure:

I read all the availaible posts, googled, read the wikis.... and still no go!!!

Is it OSD skin dependant? Missing files (Codecs, libraries,..)? What are we missing?

Please, Please, can anyone say if this function is supposed to work? And if YES, what are the needed steps to achieve this.

Forgot to say : I'm using DVBViewer since v3.9. Now I'm on latest one running under Seven 64bits

cheers :bye:

Edited by chp

Hello chp, I've been looking on and off ever since my original post through any and all old forum posts, still can't find any definitive answer.I "think" this feature was mentioned in an early version of the manual but I've read so many posts I can't say for sure.I think we may be flogging a dead horse here.Maybe some code was removed for some reason.It's a pity as with some of the skins available now DVBViewer makes a great HTPC front end if TV is your main use.

Rossferg,

I found a workaround on how to show the thumbnails but it's bulky and heavy to manage: as mentioned in the wiki, if you "attach" for each movie a picture with the same name as the movie then you'll get a thumbnail in the OSD.

Exemple: let say your movie name is "mymovie.mpg" just copy in the same folder a picture (JPG) of this movie with the name "mymovie.jpg"

For info, MPC-HC can save these pictures by "saving as thumbnails" from the file menu. If you have several hundred of movies, I let you imagine the hard work.

Doing so, it has some drawbacks : lots of pictures on your disk and no realtime management of the thumbnails (specialy for recorded TV shows)

cheers

chp,

Yes thanks for that, I also found that work around a while ago and as you suggest if you have a lot of recordings it could take a while.Windows explorer already thumbnails these recordings in your chosen folder it just seems that DVBViewer can't show/incorporate them into the OSD, instead for me anyway it just shows the generic icon.

rossferg, I'm tired to wait.

Currently, I'm working to bypass this by using Windows Explorer features (and his own thumbnail database) as main media browser called from the OSD. My first attempts are OK and they already look very nice.

When I'll finish it, my DVBViewer will automatically:

- Show the Movie folders in Window Explorer (without the left pane and with a cutomized background) when "My Videos" is called. ==> OK

- Automatic Thumbnail generation/deletion in user defined sizes (Windows Explorer feature) ==> OK

- By click on a thumnail movie you'll be able to see details of the movie and/or launch it within DVBViewer or 3rd party player ==> OK

- Launch of DVDs, (S)VCDs and BluRay movies within the OSD or by key press ==> OK.

- Automatic go back to the last watched TV Chanel at the end of any movie ==> OK.

- more ideas to come (Emulators, Any Game launcher, True audio visualizers,...) ==> in progress.

My Goal is to use DVBViewer as a true HTPC for everyday use for a noob.

Edited by chp