Deinterlaceand Sandy bridge

esperado

On the Intel Sandy bridge processors, there is a turbo mode. This allows the CPU to swap between 1.6Ghz and 3.3 to 5 Ghz (following of your overclock), depending of the CPU charge. It is designed to save power consumption.

Playing DVBViewer makes the CPU swapping between those two frequencies.

I wonder if, when it is at 1.6Ghz, with 15/20%CPU charge, the frequency is fast enough for a good de-interlacing ?

NB: Those CPU are build with a graphic card included in it, and a special build-in hardware coding/decoding circuit for H264 and Mpeg2. If you want to use-it, instead of your additional graphic card acceleration, you can choose Intel QuickSync for the codec in your FFDSHOW (lastversion) configuration.

In the actual situation, it will not save a lot of CPU, as each image is mapped in CPU memory for further treatments or to be send to your graphic card.But we can imagine that, as soon as Intell will create the good codec outside of FFDShow, we can expect, with a monitor on the Intel Output, a 0% CPU for decoding and de interlacing. Nice to build a cool HTPC, with no additional graphic card ?

At 40% cpu frequency and 5% cpu load the deinterlacing is excellent. Provided you are using actual drivers, codecs, and the source material has a minimum quality.

And you don´t even need a Sandy Bridge with turbo. My HTPC with the simple i3-530 draws as few as 35W when watching HDTV and is totally silent.

Edited by blasgl