H.264 filler data removal

ginacman

Hello,

I just upgraded DVBViewer to the 4.9 version and I much appreciated the H.264 filler data removal option while recording new contents. In fact, I got in the past many problems at playing the .TS H.264 captures on my mediaplayer (it's a DUNE) because the audio format was not correctly recognized in many cases - a fake DTS format was shown and tried, in place of the correct AC3) - but now, through the filler removal option, I'm able to play the audio track of the new recordings.

Nonetheless, still the same problem remains with my archive of previous captures. Is it possible to remove the filler in already recorded material, perhaps using a plugin or a similar external tool? Thank you.

Is it possible to remove the filler in already recorded material, perhaps using a plugin or a similar external tool?

Yes. With TSPlayer (download from the members area / tools section). Tick the according checkbox on the conversion tab, then start a TS -> TS conversion. The manual tells you how to do it.

So what is the point of the filler data :bye:?

Some broadcasting companies insert them to get a constant data rate on the transponder as I read. So scenes with low bitrate get more filler data.

Some broadcasting companies insert them to get a constant data rate on the transponder as I read. So scenes with low bitrate get more filler data.

That's confusing, are you saying that applies to channels that use a fixed bitrate or a variable bitrate?

Channels with variable bitrate are stuffed in order to achieve a constant bitrate, thus fulfilling technical (muxing) requirements, particularly if dynamically balanced muxing is not possible.