AVForum HTPC Software Comparison

Complete_Outsider

Hello DVBViewer users.

A few of us on AVForums have decided that there is not enough information available for new HTPC users to understand which HTPC software is best for them. To this end, we have started a thread on the AVForum HTPC sub-forum (an extremely busy forum), which will soon become a thread sticky, which aims to compare all of the main contenders so that people can make a fair choice as to which software to choose.

I used to use DVBViewer a few years ago, before I went across to the Open Source Dark Side, and DVBViewer has moved on a lot since I have left, so I was wondering if anyone from this forum wanted to contribute to this initiative. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0AjZAlU_5jl79dER5aE82MWkyTlRCNkxnX2tBQmlPMGc&output=html

If anyone does wish to help and provide the data and hyperlinks for DVBViewer, then please have a look at this AVForum thread, and get stuck in: http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-pcs/1570794-media-player-software-sticky-discussion-2.html

Thanks all

P.S. I hope this does not contravene any DVBViewer forum rules, if so, please accept my apologies.

Thanks

Complete_Outsider

Nice, even if the list of selected Category/Capabilities is quite odd i think the most entries will be listed green. I'm not sure if one of the moderators or authors should be the best choice for answering the questions - since self-praise always stinks, but the most entries can be easily answered:

Main Website: http://www.DVBViewer.com

Setup Guide: http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Main_Page <- to be fair, not a complete guide yet, but hey its a open wiki

Cost Initial Purchase: 15 Euro/22 USD

Upgrade Cost: No

Operating Systems: Win9x/WinNT (>=98, >=NT4)

Latest Stable Version: 4.9

Latest Unstable (development Version): 4.9x?

10 ft UI interface: Yes (I guess it is meant an 1920x1080 display)

10 ft Configuration UI: No

Dual Displays: Yes

Touchscreen Support: Yes, skin based

VFD / LCD Support: Yes

Changeable Skins: Yes

Automatic Display Refresh Changer (helps minimise video stuttering): No?

Native support for MCE Remotes: Yes, via Plugin

Support for non-MCE remotes: Yes

Capable of IR Blasting: Yes, via Plugin (the Hauppauge IR thing, resp. a customized plugin interface mentioned in the forum)

Supported Video Formats: Yes, for all listed - if the decoders/splitters are installed

Video Database: Yes, but more effective via Plugin (e.g. myvideos or X.dll)

Automatic Thumnail Generation: Yes

TV Series database: Yes, via Plugin (myseries)

Display of Fanart and TV Series Information: Yes via Plugin (myseries, myvideos, x)

Automatic TV Series Fanart Grabbing (e.g. from The TVDB): Yes via Plugin (myseries, myvideos, x)

Automatic TV Series Information Grabbing (e.g. from The TVDB): Yes via Plugin (myseries)

Internet Videos (e.g. BBC Iplayer, 4OD, YouTube): Big YES, since the latest version (listings via online or some other plugins)

Movie Database: Yes (myvideos or x)

Display of Fanart and Movie Information: Yes (myvideos, x, myscrobbler for audio)

Automatic Movie Fanart Grabbing: Yes (myvideos, x, myscrobbler for audio)

Automatic Movie Information Grabbing (myscrobbler)

DVD Playback: Yes

DVD ISO Playback: Yes

DVD Ripping: No

BluRay Playback: Yes native, but AnyDVD HD or DVDFab is required (like in all other PC based solutions)

Trailers: No

Supported Audio Formats: Yes, same like Video Formats

Music database: Yes, update via Plugin (myscrobbler)

Display of album/artist fanart: Yes

Automatic fanart grabbing: Yes, via Plugin (myscrobbler)

Display of album/artist information: Yes

Automatic album/artist information grabbing: Yes, via Plugin (myscrobbler)

WASPI: No - what is this?

ASIO: No?

Automatic audio sample rate up-scaling: Yes

Milkdrop2: No, but ability to use Visual Plugins like G-Force

Game Functions: No, but a programs plugin allows some basic functions for this

Watch live TV using DVB tuner: Yes

Record Live TV using DVB tuner: Yes

Timeshift live TV using DVB tuner: Yes

DVB-S: Yes

DVB-S2: Yes

DVB-T: Yes

DVB-T2: Yes

DVB-IP TV: Yes

Analogue: No

DVB-C: Yes

ATSC: Yes

Gather EPG from DVB Broadcast: Yes

Import EPG from XML file: Yes

Encrypted TV (e.g. Sky): Yes

Commercial skipping on recorded TV: Yes, via Comskip

Record more than one channel from a mux using a single tuner: Yes

TV Server can supply services to multiple network clients: Yes

Schedule Multiple Recordings (Daily at this time / weekly / weekends): Yes

Series Link Function: No

Automatic Thumbnail Generation: Yes

Photo database: Yes

Slideshow: Yes

Slideshow with music: Yes

Automatic rotate: Yes

Web Browser Controllable using MCE Remote Control: No

Cinema Listings: No

Web Search using Context Menu (i.e Google search Film/Artist/EPG title using remote): No

Weather: Yes

RSS Feeds: Yes

Automatic Website Loading from RSS feeds: No

Multi-room syncronised media playback: Yes - Recording Service/UPNP?

Apple Airport: No

Microsoft Kinect Support: No

Ability to use non-native players(eg MPC-HC, Zoom, TMT, PowerDVD etc): Yes, but not really required (except for legal Bluray)

External application launch support: Yes

Edited by LocalHolgi
Setup Guide: http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Main_Page <- to be fair, not a complete guide yet, but hey its a open wiki
Use http://www.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/ this will lead German people to the German Wiki. Which has much more content.

Dual Displays: Yes
The DVBViewer itself has no Dual Displays support. But there are ad-ons to diplay informationes eg. EPG on the second screen.

Touchscreen Support: Yes, skin based
Most thins yes, but some things eg. changing the volume dose not relay work.

I would coll it OSD with mouse support but not touchscreen support.

Import EPG from XML file: Yes
only via Ad-on

Commercial skipping on recorded TV: Yes, via Comskip
No, only via ad-on as post recording action.

Record more than one channel from a mux using a single tuner: Yes
Only for not encrypted channels

Slideshow with music: Yes
You have to start the music first and it will not stop if you start a sideshow

Automatic rotate: Yes
As fare as I know not via EXIF. Only manually and than stored in the database.

RSS Feeds: Yes
RSS Feeds yes, Atom Feeds no

Thanks for the input. This information will be fantastic in the spreadsheet.

We have created a sticky in the thread now, so it is there for everyone to see: http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-pcs/1572299-htpc-software-comparison.html#post16154604

I was hoping that the DVBViewer community would be able to provide someone to enter (and manage) the data, that way you won't need to wait for Robbo100 to update the DVBViewer data when there is a new plugin developed or an update to the software.

If you would want to do this, then please PM me, or PM Robbo100 on AVForums with an email address, then we can send you a google docs invite.

Thanks

Complete_Outsider

Any helpers to input the data and add the hyperlinks (it will take me for ever to research all the features to get hyperlinks for them all)? It is a shame not to get the DVBViewer information in to the spreadsheet. I am sure if the information was there it could help boost your sales!

Thanks

One item missing in your grid, in the Live TV section, is a reference to DiSEqC capability, especially 1.2 or USALS. This was a vital requirement for me. I had to waste a lot of time evaluating other products before finding they did not support that capability. Some had DiSEqC 1.0 capability (like WMC), but only DVBViewer Pro can drive a motor (if the tuner supports it). Mentioning that could be very useful for users with motorised satellite systems.

I have entered details in the DVBViewer Pro column as supplied in previous posts and according to my own experience. Founders should check the information is correct.

WASPI - Google results:

Sharing of personal information - Welsh healthcare initiative - probably not

War Against Sexual Perversion and Immorality (filter check!) - possibly!

Realtek Audio - misspelling of WASAPI,Windows Audio Session API, soundcard hardware acceleration - that would be it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASAPI

ASIO - Audio Stream Input/Output - alternative to DirectSound

http://en.wikipedia....am_input_output

Would these be selected through Audio Renderer, if present on the PC?

Has the iPhone remote app been developed yet?

AV Comparison.zip