Router WISH settings for 1080p Video & HD Audio

entrecour

I have a new router that supports WISH which allows traffic prioritisation of specified traffic on the LAN.

I am trying to improve the 1080p film (i.e. not live) video and hd audio streaming performance between a host computer acting as a server and a client computer. The server is connected to the router via gigabit LAN and the client is connected via 802.11g WiFi.

Playing 1080p yields a WiFi network utilisation of approx 38% (of 54Mbps) according to Windows and there is stuttering of video and audio.

I am not expecting much of this but I want to see if I can remove the stuttering by priorising the relevant traffic. If not I will just get an 802.11n card for the client.

I need to specify the ports and protocols that I want to prioritse.

Currently I plan to specify the following:

RTSP port 554 - priortise as Vi (H)

(RS) Media Stream Server port 8570 - priortise as Vi (H)

(RS) uPnP AV Server port 8889 - priortise as Vi (H)

Are these the right ports, have I missed any?

Has anyone here tried to prioritise traffic streams via WISH? If so I'd be interested to know what was your experience.

Your router will not be able priorize traffic Inside a LAN or a WLAN, only between internet and LAN and maybe between LAN and WLAN. I don't think you will be successful. The problem is the latenncy in WLAN. I never made HD work withour interruption in WLAN.

Edited by dbraner

Your router will not be able priorize traffic Inside a LAN or a WLAN, only between internet and LAN and maybe between LAN and WLAN. I don't think you will be successful. The problem is the latenncy in WLAN. I never made HD work withour interruption in WLAN.

According to what I have read in the router help and online (http://en.wikipedia....Stream_Handling) I believe WISH is intended to prioritise LAN traffic. If or how well it is actually doing that is a bit hard for me to say at the moment. There are a few settings within WISH which should help with video and especially for WMC.

I have tested with 8000kbps WMV files on WMC and they work perfectly whereas on MPC-HC and DVBV they stutter. Unfortunately I can't get my bluray files to play on WMC as I am having problems with medibrowser (which is no longer supported on Vista) so I haven't been able to see if WISH is helping here.

I have been able to get some improvment with bluray video playback on DVBV by increasing Max Queued Audio for files in DVB Splitter, however HD audio is still stuttering.

Edited by entrecour
I believe WISH is intended to prioritise LAN traffic.

WISHful thinking? ;)

I have tested with 8000kbps WMV files..

..streaming live tv is very different from file playback.

According to what I have read in the router help and online (http://en.wikipedia....Stream_Handling) I believe WISH is intended to prioritise LAN traffic. If or how well it is actually doing that is a bit hard for me to say at the moment. There are a few settings within WISH which should help with video and especially for WMC.

I have tested with 8000kbps WMV files on WMC and they work perfectly whereas on MPC-HC and DVBV they stutter. Unfortunately I can't get my bluray files to play on WMC as I am having problems with medibrowser (which is no longer supported on Vista) so I haven't been able to see if WISH is helping here.

I have been able to get some improvment with bluray video playback on DVBV by increasing Max Queued Audio for files in DVB Splitter, however HD audio is still stuttering.

A router is routing network pakets between different network segments (i.e. LAN-Internet, LAN-WLAN). In the same segment a router works like a switch (without priorization of any protocol).

WISHful thinking? ;)

Probably! :)

..streaming live tv is very different from file playback.

Perhaps I didn't state it very well but I am not streaming live tv.

I am trying to improve the 1080p film (i.e. not live) video and hd audio streaming performance between a host computer acting as a server and a client computer.

Actually I just tried those wmv files on DVBV again and they also work fine with the increased audio queue settings.

WISH does work, but doesnt help you. WISH is supposed to prioritize WLAN traffic. Means if you do a file donwload while watching streamed media it might prioritize the media stream over the file download. Even more so if multiple WiFi clients are connected.

As far as i know the biggest problem is the buffering. Many clients, especially flshplayer on youtube do not like high latency even if the buffer is filled for a minute or three. I dont have much insight, but tend to think buffering and playback do not really run asynchronously in those clients.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, WISH didn't help - my main problem was the lack of real available bandwidth from the router to the 802.11g client access point.

I have now installed an 802.11n AP and after manual adjustment of the channel I was able to a 300Mbps connection to the router. I haven't done any bandwidth measurments yet but I was able to play a blue ray film across the LAN without any noticable audio or video problems.:biggrin: