SkyStar HD2 Sudden Death

dusko

I really do not have any luck with SkyStar HD2 cards. First one I had and bought locally in store in Podgorica (Montenegro) lived less then a month. It just went in to white smoke. I replaced it for old fashioned SkyStar 2 (and some other hardware).

Last August I decided to give another try with this card and ordered it online from Amazon(.de). Installed it, worked flawlessly after a bit of torture with ideal codec combinations for HD channels. Suddenly, around New Year, it just stopped working. All signals went to 0%. I was hoping cables were dead, but old SkyStar 2 worked (and still working) with the installation.

Now, I am in desperate search for a solution for HD channels. I was even thinking about buying Dreambox and giving up from my Media Center, but it is not solution. I don't want another device under my TV and another remote controller on the table.

I was thinking about buying Prof Revolution DVB-S2 7301 PCI, but unfortunately there is no way I can find a shop that will ship it to Montenegro anywhere.

If someone knows what happened with my SS HD2, or even better how to fix it, it would be much appreciated. But, I am afraid that tuner is gone and that there is no fix.

Thanks anyone in advance who is able to help me in any matter.

Edited by dusko

Hi

I have a SkyStar HD2 PCI card fitted, along with 2 SkyStar HD USB tuners. They all work fine with DVBViewer for a year or more.

Couple of things you could try...

- Download latest drivers from Technisat website. I ignore the Windows7 driver for my tuners, as it causes at least 1 to disappear. The drivers I use are v4.6.

- You could try putting the card into a different PCI slot in case there is a hardware fault with the slot you are using.

- I only drive my motorised dish using a regular set top box. Personally, I don't trust these PCI / USB tuner cards with 12v or more and a big lump of metal.

I just wonder if you have a motorised dish and if there is some irregular power spike coming back into your card and frying the tuner chip?

- Try a different power cable from a different power line on your PSU.

I use my PCI card for weak signals from one of my two dishes, as it seems more reliable than either of my 2 USB tuners (which work fine with my Sky minidish).

Hope this gives some ideas to check out...

Also Technisat technical support, through their website, has always been quick and helpful.

Tony